Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JM ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 03:57PM

Just checked back on a previous thread and I can’t beieve how many helpful responses I got. Heartfelt thank you to this community, I really appreciate your good advice.

I’ve decided to take a break from church during May, I realized that I have a lot of stuff to get together.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 03:59PM

Fantastic. Think things through, go do fun things on Sunday (particularly things you might not generally do), talk to others who have different viewpoints, and clear your head any way you can. I think you'll find it very...refreshing. And enlightening.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 05:02PM

A break. Wise choice.

Like they say, things look different from a distance because you can see the whole picture or at least more of it.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 05:06PM

If you have any more questions JM, please ask. I'm sure someone here can answer. I'll be gone for a couple of weeks, but the folks here are very knowledgeable, whether you want answers only from Church sources or secular.

Good luck.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 07:11PM

What? They don't have wifi in Cancun?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 07:21PM

Heidi is going to be sitting on the beach sipping her umbrella drink. You really want to disturb her? lol

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 05:18PM

I'm growing my hair out for the first time since I was in my teens and early adulthood.

I'm not young but I'm excited. Before when I brought up the subject I was met with opprobrium and not approbation. Now that my kids are all in college/missions I don't care anymore.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 06:46PM

That sounds like a good plan, JM. I agree with Cathy to consider doing some fun activities on Sundays. The weather is getting beautiful -- why not get out and enjoy God's creation? -- That is often the best sort of "church" for me. I have often felt more peace from being outside in a beautiful setting than I ever felt in any building.

Reach out anytime.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 07:12PM

If anyone calls you from church about your absence, tell them that you're working on a special project for the bishop.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 11:05PM

tell them you're working on a special, super secret/sacred project for a General Authority. That way nobody at the local level can countermand and because it's super secret/sacred, you don't have to give a name.

If that doesn't work, pull a Joseph Smith, and tell them you're working on a special project for an angel that only you can see and that the angel's bona fides were confirmed using the D&C 129 handshake test. That'll throw them for a loop.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 09:55PM

I definitely think you're making the right choice.

Next time someone tells you that god wants you to cut your hair, have them read Leviticus 19:27. He might come back at you with 1 Corinthians 11:14. If he does that, ask him why he isn't chastising women for the "disgrace" of cutting their hair or walking around in public without headcoverings, as required by 1 Corinthiams 11:6.

While you're at it, ask him why men keep their heads covered during the "true order of prayer" in the temple, when that is forbidden by 1 Corinthians 11:4.
Also point out that all the actors in the temple film have pretty long hair.

See what happens. ☺

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 01:36AM

If it were me, I'd say "You should see my pubes."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 01:57PM

Love it!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 05:43AM

Avoid them if they try to contact you. If they catch you unexpectedly, have a quick answer ready and say goodbye. Don't get into long explanations or conversations.

"I can't talk to you now. Have to go. Bye."

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 10:12AM

Here is a secret I learned during my ~30 years in the Church: when somebody threatens that you won't be allowed to (whatever) unless you (whatever conformity they want to enforce), I always say, "Great another thing I don't have to do."

So if you can't pass the sacrament, give a blessing, take a calling, go to the temple or whatever unless you cut your hair, wear a tie or whatever priesthood image they want to enforce, ask yourself if it is important enough to do this thing they are threatening to withhold? Once you realize that they aren't withholding anything of value, then you can decide if participating in their process is worthwhile.

In many cases, I enjoyed the "release" from the responsibility. I have actually said to these members, "If I knew that all I had to do to be released was to X, I would have started long ago."

P.S. If they get desperate enough, they will take anybody. During a "numbers push" when *they* want you, then your negotiating value rises. Say, if they want you to accept a temple recommend, then unless it is directly mentioned in the interview questions, you can likely get through their bogus standards. However, expect them to revert to pressuring you when their pressure subsides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2019 02:39PM by idleswell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.