Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 11:18AM

Yesterday and the day before my wife and I spent a lot of time basking in the sun on our deck. My wife actually got burned. :(

But it felt great to be pretty close to naked, lying sun drenched enjoying two beautiful days of weather. My wife had gone to church and I had gone to yoga yesterday.

It felt really, really good having stretched out my body, had a tasty lunch and lain out in the sunshine perusing these two little books.

https://www.amazon.com/Astonish-Yourself-Experiments-Philosophy-Everyday/dp/0142003131

https://www.amazon.com/Get-High-Now-without-drugs/dp/0811867137/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=get+high+without+drugs&qid=1557155759&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I liked being alive in my own little corner of this world without much concerns and a wonderful person to share this sunshine with...

Then today I find out that a parent of a student had email my wife(the teacher) about how to accommodate them for Ramadan.

My wife complained about making a kid fast. I told her it was no different than a month of Mormon fast Sundays!

Silence.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 01:44PM

My older brother would get sick every fast Sunday. After 20+ hours without food and water, he would turn a greenish shade of pale and become lethargic. I remember my mom arguing with my dad about letting him eat something before the big Sunday meal was ready. Dad always said no!

I just snuck food and water because I didn't like fasting.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 01:49PM

You got a big Sunday meal? You were lucky. LOL Our fast started after Saturday dinner and didn't end till breakfast Monday morning. I remember a family from Utah moved not too far from us and told us they skipped Saturday dinner and ate after church on Sunday. My mother was furious. Said they weren't following the letter or the sprit of the law.

Date: May 06, 2019 04:46PM

lillium Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You got a big Sunday meal? You were lucky. LOL
> Our fast started after Saturday dinner and didn't
> end till breakfast Monday morning.

Over 24 hours? Why?

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 09:32AM

I dunno, I never asked. You didn't question my mother if you valued your safety. But I assume that because it was a Sabbath fast, she decided you couldn't eat on Sunday at all.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 04:48PM

I guess I was a rebel even from my early convert days because I never did the fasting. Forget it. I wasn't going to make myself feel bad, isn't that the opposite of what church is supposed to do?

Date: May 06, 2019 04:53PM

"...isn't that the opposite of what church is supposed to do?"

Actually, no.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 06:25PM

I tried fasting when I first joined. I could never do 24 hours, but a lot of members from my first ward( loved that ward, seemed like genuinely nice people) , told me that it was just 2 meals, but some that couldn’t fast just gave the money , what those 2 meals cost instead.
You were doing that anyway ( fast offering), so it didn’t matter if you physically fasted. ( I knew it was just about the money anyway)
I did skip breakfast, never ate it anyway, still don’t. I never get hungry until 1:00 anyway.
That way people could still hear my stomach growl when it was finally time to eat, LOL
I did drink water from the restroom faucet , if no one was in there.
I’d bring a small bite sized candy bar that was quiet and ate it in the stall.
It was common to hear what sounded like corn chips being eaten from the stalls too, and crunched bag sounds.
Men would have a harder time sneaking in food, unless they’re taking a male baby in the bathroom, just to eat hidden snacks from his diaper bag

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 06:40PM

??? I went through before I got married. It may have been when I got pregnant with the twins. Never fasted again after that.

I got this article from my boyfriend on fb today.

https://lessonslearnedinlife.com/people-who-are-meant-to-be-together-will-always-find-their-way-back-to-each-other/?fbclid=IwAR1gBHZV98hNFNKRgWelIG9u43MWASidkqaIt-mT-EAKeDksXSxodtAPuQ0

I always felt this way. It was amazing to have him send this to me.

I'm rather in turmoil about the change in temple marriages. It seems that somehow they kick me in the gut from afar again and again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2019 06:41PM by cl2.

Posted by: ApostNate ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 02:25AM

I began fasting recently for the health benefits. In my 21 years of activity I only remember fasting 1 time, while on my mission.

Date: May 07, 2019 11:18AM

Only once? Wow! Did your companions not notice??

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 08:55PM

Small bits and you stop chewing when they look at you!

Date: May 08, 2019 10:42AM

Like stop moving in bed when they are looking at you? Many fasts in many different places...

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 08:47AM

Yes, it’s nice being alive.

I like the routine of the seasons. Hockey ending and baseball beginning always signals that we, too, might feel a bit of the warm sun. Seems improbable in March, but by July it usually comes to pass.

Human, on the tundra

Date: May 08, 2019 10:42AM

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 11:08AM

Last night’s Yankees game

This morning’s run

This moment’s muffin

It’s all uphill from here, though; until it isn’t.

Date: May 08, 2019 11:14AM

Nice, like shadows of remembered sunshine our memories protract long with highlights of good and bad.

Let our concerns rest a bit while we stoke the warmth of a pleasant past in our minds...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.