Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 10, 2019 12:55AM

world dedicating temple sites?

I seem to remember that this was kind of whispered about. Was it in the JoD?

The story went something like Moroni dedicated the Manti temple site back in the day and he wandered all over the place dedicating temple sites.

I would really like to slap the fellow that told me that. No wait. I'd rather slap myself for even beginning to believe it. So that nutjob went all the way to Guam? He made it all over Japan? India? Hong Kong? My lord, that man was a GOD!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 10, 2019 01:00AM

> My lord, that man was a GOD!

Not yet, but one day soon.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 10, 2019 01:25AM

They were never taken up to heaven. The real story, according to what I've heard, is that Joseph Smith later asked Peter, James and John if they had visited the place where the golden plates are stored in heaven. They said: "Don't be ridiculous! We don't store physical gold in heaven!"

Apparently, Moroni's picture is posted all around heaven.

"Wanted! Dead or Dead!"

Date: May 10, 2019 01:20AM

But they don't seem to have ever risen to the level of anything official. At best, such tales seem to be a form of Mormon apocrypha

Little campfire stories aimed at giving goosebumps to gullible gophers.

"That magnificent building over there! Being built with tithing money! Did you know that it's being built on a site that was dedicated and set apart more than a thousand years ago by Moroni himself? Yes, indeed! It's hallowed ground. Can you feel the goosebumps? That's the Holy Ghost witnessing to you of the truth of it!"

"Ooooh! I felt it. I wanna pay extra tithing...in honor of Moroni!"

Date: May 10, 2019 02:34AM

church magazine and website...and remains uncorrected for many years should logically be regarded as having been endorsed by the Prophet, the First Presidency and the Q12 because they are supposed to have a responsibility for preventing error and false teachings from being spread and promoted in the church right under their noses and supposedly have the keys and gifts of discernment and inspiration and revelation to enable to perform this responsibility.

In that sense, I agree that this is official.

Of course they are constantly contradicting and repudiating the very things that their publications are teaching and promoting. You can still find on their official website the teachings of Hinckley and Monson promoting the "Mormon" nickname as a good thing.

Brigham Young also taught the Adam=God doctrine in General Conference, which is even more official than this account of what he said when he was hanging out with Warren "the Castratin' Bishop" Snow. But modern TBMs and leaders feel free to dismiss it all as just idle chatter that Brigham Young engaged in.

You gotta love Brigham Young. He's the embarrassing gift that just keeps on giving. The false prophet that makes other false prophets look like amateurs.

Posted by: logged out this time ( )
Date: May 10, 2019 02:01AM

According to BY, Moroni did get to Manti. Note that BY was accompanied by Warren Snow, the Castratin' Bishop.

Orson F. Whitney, "Life of Heber C. Kimball," p. 436:

"Early on the morning of April 25th, 1877, President Brigham Young asked Brother Warren S. Snow to go with him to the Temple hill. Brother Snow says: 'We two were alone: President Young took me to the spot where the Temple was to stand; we went to the southeast corner, and President Young said: "Here is the spot where the prophet Moroni stood and dedicated this piece of land for a Temple site, and that is the reason why the location is made here, and we can't move it from this spot; and if you and I are the only persons that come here at high noon today, we will dedicate this ground."'"

Also check out

https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/book-mormon-fourth-nephi-through-moroni-zion-destruction/18-moroni-last-nephite-prophets

for a purported map of Moroni's wanderings (including Kinderhook, IL, I guess to drop off some plates?) and The Death of Moroni. (Spoiler alert: Kind of his attackers to have at him one by one rather than all at once.)

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 10, 2019 03:08AM

Don't let those little flecks of history bother you. We are a world wide church now and moving forward.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 10, 2019 01:54PM

That Moroni was some world traveler! Trouble is, no one knows where Hill Cumorah was/is. Either Moroni traveled about 5,000 miles northward to what is now New York, or he merely took a casual stroll around the block if Hill Cumorah was in New York and the last battle took place there. I don’t suppose the TBM deep thinkers mull that over very much.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.