Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 09:13PM

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/05/07/former-boston-priest-accused-of-sexual-assault/

--quote--
An attorney representing sexual abuse victims announced new names of Catholic priests “credibly accused” of sexual abuse against minors, not publicly identified by the Archdiocese of Boston.

Attorney Mitchell Garabedian said during Tuesday’s press conference that his client, 37-year-old Nadine Tifft, was sexually abused as a minor at the hands of then-Boston Archdiocese priest Fr. John Sweeney.

“We’re spanning decades of sexual abuse and there’s no end in sight,” said Garabedian. “The Catholic Church cannot self-police when it comes to keeping children safe from sexual abuse and this is just further evidence.”

--End Quote--

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 09:19PM

As I tell my Practicing Catholic boyfriend... "If I belonged in a club and gave them money and support. Then later found out my money was being used to hide child molesters I would quit that club immediately. My other favorite is "if there is a turd in the pool are you going to stay in it!"

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 09:20PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 10:09PM

More than a third of US Catholics are reconsidering their membership for precisely that reason.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/247571/catholics-question-membership-amid-scandal.aspx

Posted by: janeeliot ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 12:24AM

Thanks -- I appreciate the poll. It is about what I expected from other things I have read. The number and power of the exit stories alone suggested a sea change in the Catholic Church.

Date: May 17, 2019 12:27AM

Agreed.

Sometimes big organizations think they can ignore the little guy and are right. But then there are occasions when the little guys get so angry that they take their marbles and go home.

We are reaching such a point, I suspect, with the Catholic Church and perhaps soon with the Mormon Church.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 09:20PM

eye opening about the abuse against the girls in a Catholic school and a murder. True story.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 11:19PM

Did you know that NAMBLA (North American Man-Boy Love Association) was founded in Boston? In a Unitarian church? One of the founders was a Catholic priest, the infamous Fr. Paul Shanley, now deceased (and probably burning). How ecumenical!

Date: May 09, 2019 12:38AM

Can there any good thing come out of Boston?

I know, I know: Come and see.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 09, 2019 02:27PM

Maybe a verb?

:)

Date: May 09, 2019 02:32PM

Hey, who am I to judge the literary formulations of the King James Bible?

Posted by: janeeliot ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 12:27AM

LOL

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 09, 2019 02:33PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can there any good thing come out of Boston?

Cream pie? I like seeing a good looking one of those...

Posted by: Nadine Tifft ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 05:09PM

They need to fix the problem and stop hiding these priests. If they did there job more would be safe.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 06:37PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can there any good thing come out of Boston?

Those red Boston Bean candies seem pretty good.

Date: May 16, 2019 06:56PM

There is the bean soup, also the seafood. . .

. . . and a bad rock band.

Posted by: Cold beer ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 10:19PM

My wife

Date: May 16, 2019 10:26PM

She must be a wicked fine woman!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 12:48AM

(Note that they were, once, the Boston Patriots).

The Sons of Liberty, John Hancock, Battle of Bunker Hill, etc.etc.

Worst business commute in the country (source: Recent Readers Digest study)

First-in-the-nation Municipal police force. Departments from all over the world send staff to study some of our advances in crime scene processing, crowd & riot control (championship events, especially), and community policing ("Broken Window" concepts).

Date: May 17, 2019 01:04AM

I jest, Caffiend. I am actually a fan of your fine metropolis.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 05:40PM

My aunt (the one I so frequently talk about) was a problem child when she was growing up, so far as my maternal grandmother and her step-father (my maternal step-grandfather) were concerned.

She was always dramatically beautiful, in a Vivian Leigh kind of way. (I grew up seeing startled strange men drop their jaws and turn around on the sidewalk to get a longer look, as she and I walked by, during that period in my life.)

From a fairly earlier than average age (I don't think she was even a teenager then), she went out with boys, stayed out all night on at least some nights, and had adventures that (back then, in Tulsa) qualified her as a out-of-control "juvenile delinquent"--maybe not legally (she never got arrested for anything), but with full force socially.

She could not be controlled by anyone, and after some particularly noteworthy adventures (even for her), some of which brought extreme local social embarrassment to her mother and step-father, my incredibly prejudiced, anti-Catholic, maternal grandparents decided that the only answer was to ship her off to a Catholic girls boarding school, just over the Oklahoma state line, in Arkansas--where she was a "student" (read: inmate) for at least a couple of years.

When she was finally allowed to come back home, to Tulsa, she had many stories to tell: of how, at intervals, there would be sexual activities (think: "swing parties") in the underground rooms of the school, where nuns and priests would meet late at night and have sex together. She said that when these parties were happening, she and some of her follow "students" would creep down the top stairs and just sit there, in the dark, watching what was going on below them.

She told these stories throughout the following decades (including, as I grew older, to me). I do not know whether my maternal grandparents believed the stories....I know that my Mom DID believe them.

I always thought that, despite the fact that my aunt was undoubtedly one of the most adventurous (in many different ways) girls growing up in Oklahoma at that time, she was making up dramatic stories which were without foundation, which she figured would be easily believed by my anti-Catholic maternal relatives who were ready to believe the worst about anyone who was not a WASP whose entire family tree began in Protestant western Europe.

Now, and beginning a few years ago, I am beginning to question my reflexive belief that she was making up all those stories.

What sounded totally ridiculously absurd, and over-the-top dramatic, back then is beginning to look a bit more possible now.

Maybe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 12:26AM by Tevai.

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 05:56PM

Why didn't these victims fight back? Like bite their wee wee off or something.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.