Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 04:32PM

I am out of the loop (thank goodness, but so curious). I read many negative references to Wendy Nelson here but have no idea what the basis is.

Could you let me in on it?

Likewise Sherri Dew, actually. I don't know either why she receives scathing criticism from some exmos. I attended a talk she gave when I was in SLC way back when. I quite liked her and thought she was a good speaker. Granted, there was no personal contact but just my (limited) impression from one encounter.

I guess I wince a bit when women come in for sharp criticism. I know that is a double standard. But it's obvious to me why ex-members would criticize whoever the Mormon prophet happens to be. The wife, not so much (?).

I'm not defending them. I have no knowledge or information one way or the other so would like to gain some understanding for the expressed rancour towards both women.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 04:57PM

It is her pray away the gay speech that made me dislike her.

"...the savior has paid the price for every gift of the spirit we will ever need to help us, its up to us to prayerfully discover which gift we need... Perhaps we need the gift to have our sexual feelings be in harmony with eternal laws."

Paraphrasing now. She goes on to say that "desperation" is the key to overcoming sin and that if we are still sinners it is because we lack the necessary desperation. Same as the drivel from SWK about knocking on the door until your hands are bloody.

She embodies the worst of all the apostles rolled into one. Same old benevolent facade but there is a viper behind it.

Her Children's book also is disgusting and the last thing any kid should read. It's called "The Not Even Once Club." Teaches intolerance and judgement.

I could use some really juicy words to describe "the little lady" but I won't.

So now her and Russ are off on a private jet tour of the world to wreak more damage on people everywhere. The itinerary looks like a fancy vacation for anyone else but I'm sure they will be working hard to make sure everyone knows how superior they are. The prophetesses work is never done.

Date: May 17, 2019 05:33PM

Oh my. Yes, I see, D&D. So it's about her, over and above just having married Nelson.

What is "Not Even Once"? Don't "sin" even once? Or something like that?

Nelson was in the top echelon, not yet prophet, when I was dabbling in Mormonism. I only noticed or remember him because of being a dr.

I definitely found the GCs and the church magazines lightweight. Repetitious. Short on depth. Disappointing. Like the SMs and GCs.

Being a "convert" and especially not in the USA, SLC and all the doings of Mormonism and its leaders seem definitely a world away. I have learned much more about Mormonism here than ever I did from the church itself. Reading accounts from exmos here gives those of us on the periphery, or even further out, more insight into the BIC life, both pre- and post-exit. You don't have to look far to discover why it can take so long to "recover", if one truly does, or why there is disappointment, disillusionment, anger and more.

I often read here about the soft life of leaders in the top echelon. Even so, I wouldn't take it for all the trips and planes and apparent adulation. So very small. Limiting. Devoid of depth and meaning. Boring as hell. Inequitable. Unenlightening. Time-wasting. Lacking in good works that are truly meaningful.

And one night of that whole lighted pen schtick and I'd run screaming down Salt Lake Avenue.

Weird. Creepy. Inane.

It would be funny. Except for all the pain it has and does cause. So sorry for that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 05:34PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 05:53PM

Wendy Watson made a career teaching marriage and family therapy at BYU. She gave presentations and lectures on sexual relations despite having little or no experience herself. She thus represents the tendency of self-important Mormon leaders to purvey their own opinions, opinions that can harm others, without any objective basis.

Her book, The Not Even Once Club, is another volume that teaches the very un-Christ-like view that humans can live without sin and that forgiveness is not quite as good as having never made a mistake. In my view, that comes close to Spencer Kimball's sardonically entitled Miracle of Forgiveness.

I don't think Watson is intentionally evil: she just suffers from that willingness to assert herself as an authority into other people's emotional lives in a way that sometimes does thoughtless harm. She may represent a moderate version of the arrogance that led to the torturing of gay people in the 1970s and the suicides of young people who made the mistake of touching themselves.

It would be overstating her significance to use Wiesel's phrase, "the banality of evil," but she is banal and she does inadvertently harm others. In C.S. Lewis's hierarchy of demons, she'd be an unremarkable middle manager.

https://www.amazon.com/Not-Even-Once-Club/dp/1609073371/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3UUAZJY3FOSD3&keywords=not+even+once+club+book&qid=1558129419&s=books&sprefix=not+even+once%2Cstripbooks%2C199&sr=1-1

Date: May 17, 2019 06:48PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Her book, The Not Even Once Club, is another
> volume that teaches the very un-Christ-like view
> that humans can live without sin and that
> forgiveness is not quite as good as having never
> made a mistake.

This is astounding. The very basis of Christianity, as I have been taught it and understand it, is that we need to be "saved" because we are all sinners and that is the very reason for Jesus and the crucifixion - the essence of the faith.

Out of many, these two scriptures encapsulate this foundational Christian doctrine:

Romans 3:23 - "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (NIV)

John 8:7 - "So when they continued asking him [Jesus], he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." (KJV) (The thought being, of course, that nobody could throw a stone - in judgement of another - as there is no-one who is without sin)

Can you imagine a lifetime of striving to refrain from "sinning"? And the self-loathing that would engender when one, inevitably, fails?

Even in non-Christian terms, we all make mistakes or even purposeful actions of commission or omission that are negative or harmful. That is why it is hypocritical to judge others when we ourselves are not perfect.

The longstanding, never-ending charge that "Mormons are not Christians" comes from the obvious signals, such as this from Wendy, that (at least some) Mormons either don't understand or don't subscribe to the basic biblical teaching in (at least) evangelical Christianity that "all have sinned", hence the need for a Saviour.

I cannot count how many discussions I've had with Christians about whether Mormons are Christians and most Christians I know would say no. This idea of Wendy's is an example of why they think that.

As believers, we're not supposed to self-loathe when we fail to meet the standards set by ourselves and/or our faith. Yes, I regret it if I lose my temper or fail to act with kindness or any other action or even thought that falls short of my own expectations and values. But I don't lose all hope and hate myself. I accept that humans err. And that as a believer, it is our understanding that it is part of human behaviour and there is salvation, figurative and literal, and one day all will be better.

It's already difficult enough to measure up to standards set by religious leaders, as well as ourselves. Imagine if you're striving to be "perfect" when humans, by definition, at least from the Christian perspective, cannot achieve that lofty (and impossible) goal.

Some folks would consider it gross apostacy to teach that humans can be perfect. Good thing Wendy didn't have children. What a nightmare for them if they had to measure up to that. Lot's Wife, you are being kind in concluding that she is benign and underinformed (paraphrasing). It's so too bad that people look up to "leaders" like her when they are promoting harmful ideas - quite apart from the religious aspects of it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 08:15PM by Nightingale.

Date: May 17, 2019 06:59PM

As usual, Nightingale, you hit the key points.

--------------
> Can you imagine a lifetime of striving to refrain
> from "sinning"? And the self-loathing that would
> engender when one, inevitably, fails?

And therein lies the reason gay kids kill themselves, adolescent boys sometimes do the same, and adults require so many anti-depressants.

----------------
> As believers, we're not supposed to self-loathe
> when we fail to meet the standards set by
> ourselves and/or our faith.

Well, that is something else Mormons feel guilty about.

---------------
> It's already difficult enough to measure up to
> standards set by religious leaders, as well as
> ourselves. Imagine if you're striving to be
> "perfect" when humans, by definition, at least
> from the Christian perspective, cannot achieve
> that lofty (and impossible) goal.

"Be ye therefore perfect as your father which is in heaven is perfect." I suspect most Mormons can recite that from memory.

---------------
> Some folks would consider it gross apostacy to
> teach that humans can be perfect. . . What a nightmare for
> them if they had to measure up to that.

Yep. Nightmare. Despair.

-----------------
> Lot's Wife, you
> are being kind in concluding that she is benign
> and underinformed (paraphrasing).

I don't consider her "benign." True, I hesitate to call her "evil" because that word almost requires knowledge and intention, and I don't think she is intentionally inflicting pain on others. But I do fault her for not caring very much.

Is that ultimately much better than "evil?" I'm not sure.

Date: May 18, 2019 12:39PM

Lot's Wife: Sorry - I misread your first post and thought you said she is "benign". I see now that you said "banal". Weird that I got that mixed up.

Thanks for explaining.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 10:37AM

Nightingale Wrote:
> Can you imagine a lifetime of striving to refrain
> from "sinning"? And the self-loathing that would
> engender when one, inevitably, fails?

Ah, the very first thought I had which began my journey out of the Church. I realized that no matter how 'good' I was, no matter how fast I ran on the hamster wheel, I would never be good enough and I wondered why on earth I was doing that to myself.

I thought, "I shouldn't do that to myself. I should just leave," and so I did.

The revelations about the truth of the so-called church came later.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 12:27PM

I came to the same conclusion about Catholicism. I was tired of putting myself under a microscope. I never did anything truly harmful to others, and I reached a point where I did not care to sweat the small stuff. I don't think it's a mentally healthy thing to put such a burden on yourself.

I remember chatting with the neighborhood Catholic priest when I lived in NYC. He seemed like a decent sort. He urged me to come back to church "and make a good confession." I remember thinking, confess what? The petty garbage that I used to confess as a 9-year old? ("I said a bad word. I thought a bad thought about someone.") The fact that I was a sexually active adult? That was my business, not the priest's business and not God's business.

I'm not having any of that anymore. I'm done with it.

I also objected to the notion that I needed to be "pure" or "free from sin" to be acceptable to God. I am as God made me. What parent would find their children unacceptable for making mistakes every now and then?

Date: May 18, 2019 01:18PM

Greyfort and summer: That is a great point - the thought that led to you getting away from the impossible expectations. Many others stay in their situation and struggle with it forever.

I think it really helps people to hear/read about the 'aha' moments of others. Sometimes we chase around, enduring tough situations and problems based on a certain thought or belief, when a solution can be found if we examine our motivations and change them when it makes sense to do so. I love to read what that moment is for people.

For me, forcing myself to keep going to a church (EV) where I had been badly hurt (too extensive and personal to relate at this time), because I thought, for whatever misguided reason, that I "had to go", it really resonated with me when a hospital chaplain I was confiding in asked me "why are you returning to the place that hurt you?". Duh. Why indeed. Realizing there is no rule of the universe that I was duty-bound to observe in that regard was very freeing for me in many ways, over and above church attendance. Why do we do that to ourselves? Re being an adult 'convert' to Mormonism, likewise, I was "stuck" because to me I had made a commitment with baptism and so felt I couldn't go back on it. That way lies a lifetime of attending Mormon SMs - screech - and how does it make any sense to do that to yourself when something isn't working for you? The moment I asked myself why am I attending a church where the bishop sends me to a psychologist because I have questions and/or I don't fit in was the big aha time for me. Especially when the psychologist was a jerk and made things worse (eating his supper throughout our appointment for one thing, and coming across as very impatient and annoyed, and obviously writing me off from the first minute). I can still recall and savour the euphoria of the moment I left his office in a stake centre and purposely walked across the grass (despite the injunction not to do that - my big rebellion!) thinking "I don't have to go back. I don't have to go back." The very non-therapeutic psychologist broke the bonds I thought attached me to Mormonism (mainly that I had made a promise - baptism - and therefore couldn't break it).

You know the (comic) definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result. There is no shame in changing one's mind and trying different directions. I went through a similar process when I left the JWs, which was a far bigger deal for me because I had chosen it as a teenager and was in longer and actually enjoyed it and had many friends there plus I really deeply believed the doctrine, unlike with Mormonism. When I saw many things that didn't work, especially the hard core beneath the surface (lack of kindness or mercy) it was already bothering me. When they told me I should stay as a "missionary" in Quebec rather than returning home when my father was critically injured and my family needed me the bonds snapped for me. I chose family over religion. What helped me the most was finally being able to separate my JW baptism (which was meaningful to me) from being a JW - iow, the baptism didn't make me a JW but rather was between me and God. Realizing that helped me to leave. The debacle of my Mormon baptism (detailed here several times) did hurt me, feelings wise, especially because I felt it had wiped out my meaningful JW baptism that was still important to me. So gradually I came to realize (took me a long time!) that it's the meaning we attach to a thing that can hold us captive but we can change how we look at it and set ourselves free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2019 01:22PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Done & DONE ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 11:10AM

Yes. Wendy is selling guilt and self-loathing to her captive audience of Mormon youth. She has a gift for making all feel hopeless by setting a bar that is equal to running to clear the high jump and you don't have the pole to lift you over. The greatest athlete could not do it.

She would liken the pole to a gift from Jesus that you have to pray for. So she ratchets the impossibility up by making perfection a requirement for even getting Jesus gift of help in the first place. Does that sentence make any sense? I think I got lost.

With Mormonism there is one constant. They define sin, and then because you are terminally human and you can't maintain the "never even once" thing, It's still . . . ALL YOUR FAULT!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:05PM

Now this is just utter and pure gossip, so maybe it's true or maybe it's not...

But first let me back up quite a ways: If you've been following the course of my revealed life, you'll remember that my first date after getting home from my mission was the Saturday night of October conference, after the Priesthood meeting. I'd bumped into a returned LM (lady missionary, which was that they were called back then) the night before at my mission's reunion. I'd had a crush on her and I asked her out and she accepted. We had a nice date, which ended with some light necking. Then she asked me to marry her. I ended up saying no.

Fast-forward to 1973, when I was in SLC and I got in touch with her. She was living in Ogden. When I mentioned getting together, she said sure, but I was in for a surprise. It wasn't hard for me to come up with the correct scenario, so that when we met, I was not surprised. She had come out of her closet.

She regaled me with stories, including the story of who had turned her out. She told me that the Lesbian subculture in Utah was robust and enduring. All the 'noble' professions had large populations of Lesbians. (In about 1979 she and her companion visited me in LA and took me to a dance and to a gay bar. Fun!)

Now back to the present. I surmised from things I read about the two women in question that they were among those my LM friend had told me about. Learning that they'd bought a home together (near Rusty's place) didn't detract from my version of reality.

I hope you understand that I have only positive feelings about how people make themselves happy, so long as there is no intent to cause third parties any pain. So IF there is Gaity involved, I have no problem with that. But if they are Gay, and they then toe the church line, that being a "Mal Flor" (Mexican Spanish for a Lesbian, a "Bad Flower") is a horrible sin, while pretending not to be such, then I must condemn such behavior.

So naturally, I give my propensity for thinking ill of the church and its leader full rein and with a "Hi Oh, Silver" I charge forward in opposition.

And there you have my version of what I see in this on-going mormon comic-drama.

Date: May 18, 2019 03:40AM

I'd love to know more about the reasons behind your surmise.

You could tell me here. I promise not to tell anyone else.

Date: May 18, 2019 10:07AM

There is a top-of-the-page Google link to a mormon discussions page that pretty much lays out some of the available evidence, but it can't be linked from here.

One of the more notable points (which the posting attributes to "...RfM's BiteMe...") is that a property they bought together was held in joint tenancy, rather than as tenants in common, which is usually the case when non-related people own property together.

When one of two joint tenants dies, the other 'inherits' the deceased's interest in the property. When one of two tenants in common dies, the deceased's interest in the property passes either by will or by laws of intestacy.

Conclusive proof? No.

Another item in that article is the reprinting of a comment to a 2008 blog posting about Ms. Dew. The alleged co-worker avers that not only is Ms. Dew gay, but in addition, she possesses a number of negative personality traits all of which normal people hope to avoid.

And finally this thread from 2015...
https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1642317 ...wherein RfM'er Levi says "it" was confirmed to him by members of Ms Dew's family.

Again, we would not be having this conversation if Ms. Dew were a honey dew rather than a Sheri Dew.

Date: May 18, 2019 06:13PM

Thank you.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:11PM

She is the pretty much the only GA wife who has ever done more than smile sweetly when in public. Correct me if I'm wrong. But she has become a thirteenth apostle, if not the third counselor in the FP. She takes every opportunity to speak her mind- and whenever she does she ways something offensive. That is why many people believe that she is the person who is actually running the church. In any case, she is certainly in the Gang of Four that includes her, her husband, Dallin Oaks and Sheri Dew. Everybody else in the GA set has to do what she says- and that means that every member of the church at any level has to bow before her majesty.

IMHO.

Date: May 17, 2019 06:28PM

No reason for your opinion to be humble. You nailed it. She does give talks as if she is an apostle and she expects the same deference given to her as the apostles are given.

I probably carry too much rancor regarding her ilk and really appreciate your well stated assessment along with the sagacious summary by LW.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:28PM

Date: May 17, 2019 06:35PM

I betcha it wouldn't be the first time a mormon leader was led around by the nose.

I bet most of us in our growing-up ward remember more than one couple where the wife wore the priesthood pants in the family, except during priesthood and sac meeting!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:38PM

She is an active shill for the worst of LDS's brand. Notice that
nobody ever complained about Monson's wife, or Hinckley's wife,
or Hunter's wife, or Benson's wife (etc.). They didn't come out
publicly swinging like Wendy has.

Same for Sherri Dew (who once publicly likened those who accept
same-sex marriage to those who did nothing to stop the rise of
Hitler).

When they're in the public arena, they can't expect special
treatment.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:43PM

Wendy is the quintessential Mormon alpha female. She does seem to wear the pants in her family, and no one seems to mind not even Russ himself.

Aside of that, she is so hard edged she reminds me of a cosmetic caked Tammy Faye Bakker of yesteryear, when she took the stage with Jim Bakker, the televangelists who ended up in prison for fleecing their flock when the chickens came home to roost.

Wendy and Sherri Dew seem like they are more alike than they are different as Sister Wives could be.

The thought occurred to me, has Russ married Sherri Dew in a secret ceremony only he and the Q12 and his two wives have been privy to? Since they can enter into polygamy if they want to, it does not have to wait until they die ... it would be very convenient for them to do it now so Sherry and Wendy don't have to wait until death to be Sister Wives.

That sounds creepy to outsiders looking in. But to them it would make perfect sense !!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 06:44PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:45PM

Wendy, The Liar of The Lighted Pen.

I fully agree with everyone who's contributed on this thread.

Plus, this insipid lighted pen nonsense smacks of children's literature and Wendy's machinations. It's just waaaay too cutesie.

Oh, and wait ... when Rusty gets a gentle boost into the hereafter, I bet that thieving angel takes the pen back to Heaven.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 08:09PM by kathleen.

Date: May 18, 2019 12:51PM

kathleen Wrote:
> Wendy, The Liar of The Lighted Pen.

LOL kathleen.

Yeah. I don't think they're ever gonna live that down. It just sounds so *strange* and mock-worthy.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:55PM

She doesn't bother me any being a guy, we're not in compitition. But from what I've heard from the ladies of Utah, what bothers them most is that she is 30 years younger, a trophy wife, a gold digger, she stole the lime light from the first wife, and most importantly women of Utah don't like the type of woman who likes to be over other women. In the female mormon culture (under patriarchy) this sort of glory over other women get's them worked up. They don't like it. Especially when a woman with no kids tells mothers how to be mothers.

See mormonism is class society and everyone knows their place, and when certain untraditional women have the affrontery to rise above and be the queen bee, all the other bitties get their panty in a knot. She's Katie from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. A woman trying to get ahead, one who struggles, but yet get's baddly treated at every turn and reminded of her own misfortunes.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 07:18PM

I'm sure every woman here is thrilled with this latest episode of mansplaining. It's good for the "bitties" to know precisely why their panties are knotted.

macaRomney Wrote:
> She doesn't bother me any being a guy, we're not
> in compitition. But from what I've heard from the
> ladies of Utah, what bothers them most is that she
> is 30 years younger, a trophy wife, a gold digger,
> she stole the lime light from the first wife, and
> most importantly women of Utah don't like the type
> of woman who likes to be over other women. In the
> female mormon culture (under patriarchy) this sort
> of glory over other women get's them worked up.
> They don't like it. Especially when a woman with
> no kids tells mothers how to be mothers.
>
> See mormonism is class society and everyone knows
> their place, and when certain untraditional women
> have the affrontery to rise above and be the queen
> bee, all the other bitties get their panty in a
> knot. She's Katie from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. A
> woman trying to get ahead, one who struggles, but
> yet get's baddly treated at every turn and
> reminded of her own misfortunes.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 07:15PM

......Yah UHHHHHHHH How come former MORmONS do NOT find Sheri Dew and whats her face Nelson's current personal Woman to be utterly delightful in the way that prevailing MORmON sentiment suggests that everybody should ......... WOW!!! ( really struggling with that one !!) .....could it be relative to the people in question that their concentrated NASTY Brassy Phoniness and Repulsiveness comes right through their totally put on life loving MORmON act..... so much like the stench of dead rotting corpses can come through, overpower and RUIN the pleasant smell of other things like freshly baked bread ......MAYBE ??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzslp7c7ATc

Date: May 17, 2019 08:22PM

OK, settle down, smirk. I'm glad that not everybody is so snitty when a simple question is asked.

As a "convert", outside the US of A, I don't know anything at all about pretty much everything Mormon, except for how miserable my three years were after my ill-advised, ill-informed and ill-fated leap into the Mormon font.

I had never heard of Wendy Watson, before RfM. I note that less than effusive praise is directed her way here, over and above her just being Mormon. Therefore, I was curious as to the reasons.

I appreciate all the sincere and informed responses.

And being unaware of one aspect of - anything - never mind Mormonism - does not make me a mindless twit, contrary to the tone of your sarcastic response, smirk.

Date: May 18, 2019 12:20AM

Nightingale Wrote:
> OK, settle down, smirk. I'm glad that not
> everybody is so snitty when a simple question is
> asked.

A simple question .....or a SIMPLE MINDED Question ? (!!!!!)

You must have wanted a snitty response, so that you could then play victim to it, just as you have done ......just as a "snitty response" is what you have insisted that you received when my response was really much MUCH more of something else rather than being snitty.

.....OHHHH !!! OHHH !!! OHHH!!! I get it!!!

.... It was perfectly OK for you to apply your golly gee whizzy wheezy whizzzz /Gomer Pyle / Capt Obvious(?) / Capt OBLIVIOUS!!!! approach to the matter,

......BUT it was NOT OK for me to follow up to your (Gomer Pyle) question in the same (Gomer Pyle/ Capt OBLIVIOUS!!!!!) way that you had posed it. And its MY MISTAKE that followed your Gomer Pyle / Capt. Obvious/ Capt. OBlivious theme and then went even more Gomer Pyle/ Capt Ob'ombastic with my response than you had with your question, as I showed the utter absurdity of MORmON thinking that you had so coyly inquired about while you used that coyness of yours as a set up and basis for your Capt. Ob'ombastic routine.

.....Funny!!!! how there is NO SUCH thing as a stupid question, but there damn sure is STUPID ( "snitty") responses !!!

(IF you want me to continue to play along so well with your highly fulfilling and self serving Capt Obvious / Capt OBLIVIOUS !!! / Capt MORmON!!! routine then you need to pay me!!!)

>
> As a "convert", outside the US of A, I don't know
> anything at all about pretty much everything
> Mormon,

Well, Golly Gee! ....imagine that!!! that anyone could be so (Capt) Oblivious to the (Capt) OBVIOUS!! ....Hyuck! Hyuck! j Hyuck!!! (Insert graphic of Disney Character Goofy right here)

> except for how miserable my three years
> were after my ill-advised, ill-informed and
> ill-fated leap into the Mormon font.

(in your best Goofy voice) "I did a bonehead thing, and I am telling you all about how I did a bonehead thing, in the middle of acting like a bonehead by asking a bonehead question ....but do not answer my question in a way that even a bonehead would have to see what was really going on ......and most of all IF anyone associates me with boneheads ....Then that person is a bonehead !!!! Hyuck! Hyuck! Hyuck! "
>
> I had never heard of Wendy Watson, before RfM. I
> note that less than effusive praise is directed
> her way here, over and above her just being
> Mormon. Therefore, I was curious as to the
> reasons.

.... are you curious??? HYUCK ! HYUCK! HYUCK !!!!
>
> I appreciate all the sincere and informed
> responses.

WOW, so your post is just like trolling, but it is NOT Trolling because you say so, and that is the way it is because you are so gosh darn honest and sincere ....in being uninformed but asking ANYWAY !!!

You appreciate sincere and informed responses !!!!
...even if sincere and informed responses do not facilitate your playing the victim !!
(MORE COYNESS !!!!)

Yah! Yah! AS IF actual video of Sheri Dew in hyper phony action could qualify as any form of genuine information on the topic you had so sincerely asked about .....ESPECIALLY when you want to remain OBLIVIOUS and the darling Gomer PYle character, while you can also pose anything as an insult when you make the shift into your victim hood !!!

> And being unaware of one aspect of - anything -
> never mind Mormonism - does not make me a mindless
> twit,

YAH!! YAH!!! regardless of how much that you ACT like a mindless twit !!

> contrary to the tone of your sarcastic
> response, smirk.

WHatever!!! just as long as you are right and in control, even though you did know what was really going on so you had to ask !!

WOW, your approach to this matter is so much better!!! and so much easier than just admitting that Wendy W(h)at(ever)son and Sheri Dew are just nauseating posers that naturally disgust people who do not want to be bothered with that kind of MORmON phoniness and idiocy!!

Date: May 18, 2019 01:07AM

Date: May 19, 2019 05:14AM

....IF ONLY ...I could be as wonderful as you are !!!! (BIG SMILEY FACE RIGHT HERE !!)

Date: May 17, 2019 07:34PM

How about it when some person starts blathering about how wonderful and splendidly genuine that some other person really is, and the person that the first person is talking about is a raging PHONY ... so its RAGING PHONINESS on EPIC PHONINESS, or COMPOUND PHONINESS.....Yah, WOW, How come some people/ ex MORmONS do NOT like that ......because MORmONS LOVE LOVE LOVE IT !!!!

Date: May 18, 2019 12:50PM

What the hell is the matter with you, smirk? I DON'T KNOW EITHER WOMAN. I NOTE THAT POSTERS OFTEN MENTION THEM IN SCATHING TERMS. SO I ASKED.

Deal with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2019 01:30PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 07:41PM

As for mormon women not liking women who do not stay in their place, this isn't it in the least. The mormon women like her from what I've heard.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day Rusty passes on to his great reward and Mrs. Rusty finds her rightful place. They both make me sick. I'm really weary of hearing what they have to say.

I just love that they spent is it $800,000 to go on this recent jaunt. 10 countries in 10 days or something is what I heard when they announced the trip. Maybe it will stop his heart. Oh wait, he doesn't have one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 07:42PM by cl2.

Date: May 17, 2019 07:51PM

cl2 Wrote:
>
> I just love that they spent is it $800,000 to go
> on this recent jaunt. 10 countries in 10 days or
> something is what I heard when they announced the
> trip. Maybe it will stop his heart. Oh wait, he
> doesn't have one.

He will likely have his own medic team on board the private jet just "in case" something like that were to happen. If they can afford the free private jet with all the perks, what's a personal doctor? It's just another cost born by the church members.

Posted by: HWint ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 07:53PM

Nightingale Wrote:

>
> Could you let me in on it?
>

Wendy Nelson is a bit too uppity and opinionated for the liking of ex-mos.

If you think Mormons are misogynist and racist, wait till you see the wrath unleashed on women and people of color who don't agree with ex-mos.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 08:03PM

Wendy is a hateful person. I knew MANY like her while I was an active mormon. Read her talks. If someone wants to look them up, please post them. I am supposed to be working, but ran into a problem with a dictation and am waiting for an answer.

Read what Done & Done has said, what baura has said, what others have said. I don't need to add to what they've already stated.

Date: May 19, 2019 06:11AM

cl2 Wrote:
> Wendy is a hateful person.

well "aunt Wendy" loves you....and that is NOT "a clever marketing ploy" that you need to avoid !!! ...."Aunt Wendy" says so !!! (NO phoniness there, fer sure !!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlBE59Kipxo

thank goodness that MORmONISM has never killed any marital intimacy !!!

.....don't you just "love" it when MORmONISM tries to capitalize on the rapture of sex after they have done so much to channel ....and vilify it outside of their purposes !!!

> I knew MANY like her
> while I was an active mormon. Read her talks. If
> someone wants to look them up, please post them.

See above

just for kicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuP9o-q9uns

Date: May 18, 2019 10:20AM

"If you think Mormons are misogynist and racist, wait till you see the wrath unleashed on women and people of color who don't agree with ex-mos."

The above statement from you carries no weight whatsoever unless you back it up. Which you haven't. Your opinion is of no value without factual support from a reliable source.

Date: May 17, 2019 08:28PM

Here's a 2013 Steve Benson thread that along with being interesting to exmos also has some of the stuff we enjoy reading about our beloved GAs.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,863415,864205

Now here's a thing: True celebrities are recognizable to, what, about 85% of the population? Of the past #1 pro golfers (as ranked by the PGA) of the past 10 years, probably only Tiger Woods is in that lofty realm. He'd be mobbed if he showed up alone at an airport.

So there they are, the 15 GAs (16, counting Wendy, as some have pointed out), who are Really Big Names! to maybe three million humans in the USA. Three million out of about 330 million... Very, very small potatoes. Oops, I suppose we have to add in all the exmos who would love the opportunity to exchange pleasantries with these jolly, happy servants of the most high. So maybe 3,050,000 people recognize them...

Boy oh boy! Upcoming GAs have some really big shoes to fill!!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 03:24PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Here's a 2013 Steve Benson thread that along with
> being interesting to exmos also has some of the
> stuff we enjoy reading about our beloved GAs.
>
>
> https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,863415,
> 864205
>
>
>
> Now here's a thing: True celebrities are
> recognizable to, what, about 85% of the
> population? Of the past #1 pro golfers (as ranked
> by the PGA) of the past 10 years, probably only
> Tiger Woods is in that lofty realm. He'd be
> mobbed if he showed up alone at an airport.
>
> So there they are, the 15 GAs (16, counting Wendy,
> as some have pointed out), who are Really Big
> Names! to maybe three million humans in the USA.
> Three million out of about 330 million... Very,
> very small potatoes. Oops, I suppose we have to
> add in all the exmos who would love the
> opportunity to exchange pleasantries with these
> jolly, happy servants of the most high. So maybe
> 3,050,000 people recognize them...
>
> Boy oh boy! Upcoming GAs have some really big
> shoes to fill!!

Hahahahahhahahahhaha. This reminds me of how grateful I am that I resigned. I never thought of the GA's as celeb's even while I was an active member... oh Yuck.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 03:34PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2019 09:58PM by saucie.

Date: May 17, 2019 08:39PM

I see Wendy and Russ as two ends of a train. One is a caboose, and the other is a locomotive. They are however interchangeable, and co-dependent on each other. They feed on each other, as two power hungry, ego driven individuals that get high on their own fuel.

They are not humble people. But self-serving. I mean look at this trip they are taking. It's a ten day whirlwind romantic honeymoon thinly disguised as a business trip so they can write it off as a business church expense - hence they don't have to pay one red cent out of their own pockets to go on a romantic South Seas honeymoon to exotic islands. $800,000 of church tithes just to pay for their private jet? That's only the tip of the iceberg!

I also see them as a 'runaway train,' because they are really out of control when it comes to not only self-governance but church governance. The edicts that they have cooked up since President Nelson has taken over have been short sighted. Consider the 2015 LGBT policy that was just reversed this past spring, as only one example of his poorly thought out policies.

I know he wasn't church president when it passed in 2015, but he was a Q12. Who went along with the church edict when it was passed. Assuming they are all on the same page, why then do they not know their own minds? They're fickle. It isn't even the policies that matter to them. It's all about appearances.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 08:46PM by Amyjo.

Date: May 17, 2019 08:43PM

Amyjo said:

> I see Wendy and Russ as
> two ends of a train. One
> is a caboose, and the other
> is a locomotive. They are
> however interchangeable,
> and co-dependent on each
> other. They feed on each
> other, as two power-hungry,
> ego driven individuals that
> get high on their own fuel.
>

I love this and I want to see the movie!!

Posted by: not logged in again ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 10:28PM

another thread covering Wendy's pernicious influence and hypocrisy

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1753304

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 09:36AM

KSL and the Deseret News rarely show a photo of king Russ without queen Wendy glued to his arm. Case in point, this morning's D News front page story on his presence in Samoa. As was pointed out, rarely do you see photos of other leaders with their wives. It's obvious she loves the attention.

Date: May 18, 2019 04:00PM

It also makes me wonder if Russ has memory problems, and Wendy is there to be his constant reminder so that no one notices his mind is slipping.

At his age, it would be normal if it did even a little. But with her constant presence, no one would be any the wiser. She wouldn't let her husband get a word into the press without it getting past her first.

She keeps the world away from him like a pit bull.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 10:45AM

It’s her coat made out of Dalmatians that bothers me.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 10:55AM

kathleen Wrote:
> It’s her coat made out of Dalmatians that
> bothers me.

:D

Date: May 18, 2019 11:11AM

Ka-Ching. What an image.

Date: May 18, 2019 01:04PM

LOL

Posted by: AnonInCali ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 05:56AM

I love the mental image I have of her with only half of her hair dyed black, because that's a dye-job if I've ever seen one.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 12:10PM

There is no one more homophobic than a homophobic self-loathing closeted gay person. And no one more likely to do damage to the lives of gay people.

Date: May 18, 2019 02:48PM

Thank you for another perspective on this issue.

Can you say Boyd, the 'rrhoid,' Packer?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 06:34PM

I wonder what the kids she grew up with in Raymond, AB have to say about her...at least the ones who are no longer TBM and aren't afraid to speak their mind about cult royalty.

Posted by: The original MOI ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 07:30PM

Her mother Laura always thought she was something else.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 05:31AM

Make a Google Search:

Sherri Dew, lesbian?

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 12:40AM

"I don't think Watson is intentionally evil: she just suffers from that willingness to assert herself as an authority into other people's emotional lives in a way that sometimes does thoughtless harm."

So, kind of like all the church leaders we call evil?

What's the difference?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.