Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 06:16PM

Kind of like a jaunt back down the golden plate road looking at where I came from. I too stopped attending in 2004 over history concerns and Mormonism's anti-gay agenda.

https://longreads.com/2018/06/07/meet-the-new-mormons/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2019 06:16PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 09:11PM

I went inactive when my kids were 8, so that would be 1993. I was reading Sunstone and what is the other one??? long before that. A friend of ours had introduced us to them and he brought them to us. We were on our way out before our temple marriage, but we had to get THEM out of our lives in order to figure it out for ourselves. Dealing with church leaders is such a royal mind fuck. No better terms for it.

I figured out that it took me from 1983 --23 years-- to figure all out in terms of what? I'm not sure exactly. I also had to deal with the fallout for many years. I didn't allow myself to worry about mormonism as I had too many things to deal with, but I wasn't attending.

It wasn't the history. It wasn't the internet. It was ENTIRELY my life experience that got me out. I didn't know there were these groups. I didn't feel alone. I felt liberated--FREE, FINALLY FREE when I realized I didn't believe. At peace.

I do find it VERY INTERESTING that her mother is basically on her way out, whether a Sunstone mormon or not. Her steps ARE SO HUGE. I see this happen with ex-wives of gays, children of gays, and families of gays. At some point, it just all falls apart for them. Those who have a heart can't keep denying what they really KNOW about those they love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2019 09:13PM by cl2.

Date: May 21, 2019 10:47AM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I figured out that it took me from 1983 --23
> years-- to figure all out in terms of what? I'm
> not sure exactly. I also had to deal with the
> fallout for many years.

Nice way to put it. Regardless of "The Internet" the fallout is always there and the pieces of a broken shelf, past life, and broken trust in a world view window.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 10:42PM

It’s not just a case of the stupids. I don’t go back because Mormonism is bad for you. I never want to think that way again.

Date: May 21, 2019 10:40AM

Huh?

I don't think "going back" was much a part of this article.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.