Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 23, 2019 07:50PM

“Every time we insist we already know everything, we lose an opportunity to learn and improve. When we insist that we’re perfect and infallible, we entrench ourselves in a position that runs the risk of being overturned when more and better information comes in. When the expert we once trusted turns out to be a huckster, fraud, or worse, we can either admit that we were tricked or try to defend the indefensible.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 23, 2019 07:52PM

IMO, Mormon apologists always “try to defend the indefensible.”

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 23, 2019 08:17PM

"Every time we insist we already know everything, we have an excuse not to bother to try to learn anything else."
--Most mormons in general

Posted by: felix ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 12:00AM

I wonder if this is an olddog original. I keeping it just in case

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 12:39AM

Thank you! But it's just a riff off the OP's original.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 01:39AM

I was told that the things we don't understand and know now, as a result of such things not being revealed to us by the prophet, are obviously not important because if it was important for us to understand and know such things they would have been revealed to us by the prophet.

The "Mormon" nickname makes Jesus sad. That's obviously important.

Knowing why an 8-year-old kid whose most serious sin to date was wiping a booger on the bottom of his desk at school needs to be baptized for a remission of sins by way of accessing the cosmically floating metaphysical sin-eating power that continues to emanate into the space-time continuum as a consequence of Jesus getting a bad migraine in the Garden of Gethsemane 2,000 plus years ago? It's obviously not particularly important to understand how these things work, or even if they really work. Just get that kid baptized as soon as possible. Otherwise, there's always a chance that he could be eaten by a tiger tomorrow and his soul would then be eternally damned.

So there you have it. It's actually quite a clean and efficient formula.

Posted by: felix ( )
Date: May 23, 2019 08:32PM

I love quotes of all types and collect them. I'll share some similar to this one.

“The truth is a lot easier to see when you stop assuming you already have it” - Nortinski of postmormon.org

"I have formed the opinion over the years this notion of false certainty is at the root of much human suffering and huge mistakes. Feelings of certainty on a subject stops people from learning more, questioning assumptions, and leads to simplemindedness." Thinking on RFM

The quote you shared is new to me. I'll tuck it in my file. Do you know who said it or at least who is credited?

Date: May 23, 2019 09:18PM

It’s from an article in Forbes magazine titled “Your Glorified Ignorance Wasn't Cool Then, And Your Scientific Illiteracy Isn't Cool Now”

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 23, 2019 09:36PM

From an account of Socrates by Plato: “I know that I know nothing”

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 01:42AM

knowing something...and that's why so many Greek philosophers suffered from exploding head syndrome (EHS).

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: May 23, 2019 09:47PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zQqB9f_Sk0

We can tear down the church lovingly.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 12:47AM

But it’s not just hubris. It’s an insidious double bind that they warp your mind with. Anybody can be stupid. It takes talent to be evil.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 05:09AM

LDS tithes will now go toward helping mosque repairs.

True or False?

Is the church trying to collapse?

What other button will be pushed before its demise?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900071429/president-russell-m-nelson-new-zealand-prime-minister-jacinda-ardern-pacific-tour.html

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.