Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 04:20PM

So a young Mormon I work with has left Mormonism because of the toxic culture, the closemindedness, sexism and double standards.

And then I dropped the bomb that the Book of Abraham wasn't translated at all. And that Smith made it up.

She was in total shock!

How could she have left Mormonism and not know that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 04:26PM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 04:38PM

The sick don’t need to study their pathologies to be cured. Sometimes “stop it” is good enough. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aAhA7KfbJgg

Posted by: jc ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 04:49PM

RE: The Book of Abraham in the LDS scriptures: "The Pearl of Great Price."

Most Mormons are completely unaware of the problems. They are NOT taught the truth in church lessons. They are however told to read and re-read the BoM over and over. Never is there a suggestion to read the BoA.

The BoA contains facsimiles of Egyptian orientation. The first one contains a factiously drawn forgery of a man's head on the large figure. However in 1967 when the LDS church was given the documents previously found in the New York Metropolitan Museum, facsimile ONE had a big problem:

It had literally been glued to scratch paper with a map of Kirtland, Ohio on the back. Then someone falsified the document by drawing the human image - which is NOT correct in Egyptology. In essence, Joe Smith and company forged and made a fraudulent document and then proceeded to "translate it" with rubbish made up B.S.

Of course the Mormon leadership won't tell you the truth which is why the late apostle Boyd K. Packer stated in his famous talk to Church Education System teachers that "some truths destroy." (speech: "The Mantle is Far, Far Greater")

I learned it back in 2012 for the first time.

A great video on problems with the LDS church is on YouTube called: "Top 10 Mormon Problems Explained." It has more than one million views.

Also there's great information on the BoA at the website: MormonThink.com.

Once I learned this information, the whole house of cards came tumbling down on Mormonism's truth claims.

And once you know the facts, they can't be ignored any longer.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 05:07PM

She didn't know that because her reasons for leaving were about the culture,not so much about doctrine or history. Culture is what started me on my journey out.I learned the other stuff later.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 08:41PM

In left primarily because of the cultural shift that occurred with correlation.

Watching the elite not being held to standards. Watching and experiencing unrealistic expectations and double standards.

Finally being treated like slave labor.

Then Hinkley denied everything I had ever learned or believed.

The history, polygamy, book of mormon problems etc were all secondary to the actual experience of being in the new correlated church.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 09:01PM

The party’s over. Now to get the guests to leave without looking like a bad host. Make being there as intolerable as possible. Maybe they’ll get the hint.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 11:40PM

they'll probably start getting the hint.

"I'm starting to think it's not worth it to get all dressed up and travel back and forth to the chapel just to sit for 50 minutes listening to Brother Picklemeister or Sister Gloogenslap or whoever is assigned to give a talk on any particular Sunday ramble on about irrelevant things."

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 10:44PM

I think a lot of us left because of the day to day crapola rather than the accurate history.

I certainly left because of being offended. I was offended about how the church treated my daughters. I was offended about how they worshipped the rich. I didn't like how little they seemed to care about the poor and the needy. I thought their treatment of gay people was abhorrent. Prayer didn't work. Their promises didn't pan out.

I tried to get my testimony back by reading the B of M and the racism just leapt off the pages!

I have a lot of respect for people who were happily Mormon and found information that brought them out.

If I'd been a happy Mormon, I'm afraid I'd still be in.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 11:54PM

but I didn't dare leave until I was satisfied that it really wasn't God's true church established by the power of God through a real prophet Joseph Smith.

So I probably stayed in about 6 years longer than I would have if I had been willing to leave for cultural reasons or general dissatisfaction with the way things were managed in church.

I thought serving a mission would possibly lead to satisfactory answers to my questions and give me an attitude change with my feelings that a lot of man-made crap was being passed off as divine inspiration. Didn't work out. The mission experience increased all my doubts and made it all the more obvious that the stuff about priesthood leaders being inspired and having gifts of discernment was pure crapola propaganda.

But I still ended up going to YBU, where I spent another 3 years studying the real history of Mormonism and analyzing the doctrinal insanity (polygamy, curse of Cain, temple masonry, etc.) and learning about the nepotism in the church leadership and how ridiculous it was to believe that the nuts who called themselves "General Authorities" should have any authority whatsoever over anyone. Finally, I reached the point where I knew with every fiber of my being that it was all a big fraudulent mess. I was in my mid-twenties by that time. Now that I look back, I wish that I had bailed out earlier.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 11:14AM

My post made it sound like I stayed until the crapola got to me.

The crapola made me wake up and quit pushing my doubts down.

I was a fear based Mormon and a slow learner. I finally figured out--God can't get you for not being Mormon if he's not real.

And I hear you about regrets. I was 42.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2019 11:16AM by Dorothy.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 10:52PM

Ew.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.