Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 12:52AM

But in here.
Deep in there,
and everywhere,
What if our creator has been, literally, right under our noses the whole time?
What if our creator was the most ancient and widespread biological organism on the planet, yet not technically alive and not quite dead?
What if our creator was the most deadly killer on the planet, yet was more populous than all the other life forms on the planet, including bacteria?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI3tsmFsrOg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 01:00AM

What if someone doesn't know and doesn't mind not knowing?

Wow! What if it's impossible to know and so some people just make stuff up!?

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 01:13AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What if someone doesn't know and doesn't mind not
> knowing?
>
> Wow! What if it's impossible to know and so some
> people just make stuff up!?

I'm not making anything up.
Viruses have DNA in them, but they're not alive, since they can't reproduce without another life form. So they could have come from off earth, in a comet that landed in our ocean, thawed out and provided the DNA to create life, in order to reproduce.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 01:12AM

is a kid named Billy Snott, who's a genius at writing artificial reality and artificially generated conscious avatar programs and has just left one of his experimental programs running in order to go out and get some pizza...and we are what's happening inside that program?

I'm about 98.35% certain this is the true nature of our reality. Billy will be back to check on things in about 30 minutes of his time (which will correspond to 30 billion years in our time).

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 11:41AM

Ready Player Wally One?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 01:18AM

You are nothing more than the product of 68947.3549 (to the 485938247th power) blind monkeys typing code.

That's all you are. Deal with it.

Date: May 24, 2019 01:26AM

But I'm still hoping to get some virtual pizza with pepperoni on it.

Along these lines (X to the [infinite]th power), I just had a weird thought. Even if there is no afterlife per se, and given an infinite amount of time and infinite expansions and contractions of matter, isn't it possible that all of the molecules and genetic code and everything that makes an individual the individual that that individual is...will all be reunited again at some point?

A person could die tomorrow and then just a mere 500 trillion years later reemerge with full consciousness as that individual when the whole band has gotten back together so to speak. Of course the individual wouldn't remember anything from the previous iteration and it would all seem quite fresh and new.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 09:07AM

Regardless of whether I was created by a virus or am an NPC in Billy's VR app, I still have to live my perceived life one moment at a time, regardless of how I may understand time.

BTW, it does seem like Billy is taking forever with that pizza. I'm starving.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 12:14PM

It is a cruel Billy who would create life and then let it suffer as he goes out to eat with one of his plural wives.

Date: May 25, 2019 12:17PM

Date: May 25, 2019 01:00PM

Just as long as they leave us the nectar.

Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 11:45AM

There is no such thing as a creator.

Even if there was a god-like being who wanted to create something out of nothing, you'd never be able to establish a causal relationship between the desire to create and the beginning of existence of the thing.

The best you could possibly do is establish a correlation between the two, but to attribute causality would be a fallacy: post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

If there is such a thing as a god, then we're all it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 12:04PM

apathist (spelling?), or atheist. I like how eod stated it:

"What if someone doesn't know and doesn't mind not knowing?"

I have a difficult time believing that a loving God would create such an imperfect world. Such a mess if you ask my opinion.

So I don't worry about it as I don't know anything except that I'm here and I really don't know why I'm here, so I'll do my best to make sure my kids are okay and do yard work, clean my house, do my job so I can have money to pay the bills, and keep on putting one foot in front of the other. I don't need a superior being to worship. I have my kids, my dogs, and, yes, my boyfriend. ha ha ha and even my ex. But my kids and dogs are my focus in life. I worsthip them.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 07:10PM

I was thinking today, rabbits don't worry about pleasing God. Turtles don't worry about it. Wolves and eagles don't worry about it. They all just go about their business.

Why should we worry about it?

Date: May 25, 2019 10:23PM

They seem to be very devout!

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 12:07PM

If we are the product of a harsh reality, we must acknowledge that. Evolution has no conscience or will. But it is treated as if it does, when kt fits the contemporary narrative.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 12:30PM

>> But in here.
Deep in there,
and everywhere,
What if our creator has been, literally, right under our noses the whole time?
What if our creator was the most ancient and widespread biological organism on the planet, yet not technically alive and not quite dead?
What if our creator was the most deadly killer on the planet, yet was more populous than all the other life forms on the planet, including bacteria?

Fine with me. I'm looking forward to chopping wood after work, enjoying a cold beer, and making ice cream on the weekend.

Praise God!

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 12:49PM

This is Agent Smith theory in the Matrix. humanity is a virus.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aezikcoCr4o

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 05:14PM

There are 10x's more alien micro organisms inside of you than human cells and there are hundreds of trillions of human cells in you.
Each cell capable of being a nearly exact entire copy of you.
Thats 56,000 copies of you for every human on the planet.
There are 10 times that many aliens inside/on you.
Begging the q, who orv what is calling the shots here and why are we here?
Perhaps to host the most ancient,the the deadliest and most ubiquitous bio agent on Earth
Or off.
Or maybe they are to you what you are to God.
I think it might also be in reverse.
It might be god, the biomass
In your gut, in your shit,
In the Earth and ocean.
Everywhere, but nealy indetectable

Date: May 25, 2019 12:23PM

God and the Creation are one and the same. Doesn't exactly answer the question of where the Creation/God came from in the first place.

Date: May 25, 2019 05:55PM

caffiend Wrote:
> God and the Creation are one and the same. Doesn't
> exactly answer the question of where the
> Creation/God came from in the first place.
I didn't say anything about god, I just said creator. I don't KNOW if we came from viruses, but it seems like a good logical argument when creationists ask, so where did life come from in the first place, if not supernaturally?

Date: May 25, 2019 06:00PM

But surely caffiend is correct in his implicit argument that if there is a creation there is a creator since creation is an act that requires an actor. To that extent perhaps it is better for you to speak of the beginning of life not as creation but as origin?

Origin removes the need for a creator from the equation.

Date: May 25, 2019 07:33PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> caffiend Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > God and the Creation are one and the same.

I was not advocating that position, Cat-man. Just making an observation. It has its adherents; I am not one of them.

I don't KNOW if we came from viruses, but
> it seems like a good logical argument when
> creationists ask, so where did life come from in
> the first place, if not supernaturally?

What you're suggesting is an alternative explanation, one which is not supernatural (i.e. Divine or God-originated) but extraterrestial. Again, this theory has its adherents; I am not one of them.

I suppose carbon-based life could have been sourced from outside our solar system, implanted on Earth, then evolved. I think it would have to be something more complex than viruses, which need a host to "live" and propagate. You'd have to have some sort of carbon proto-life form here for them for viruses to "take root." The odds would be astronomical (pun intended). I see this theory as a desperate reach for a naturalistic explanation of life origin.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 06:59PM

...there seems to be a lot of confusion about our origins. I refer to others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3tpztqbEy0

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 07:19PM

If god or any other person, collective, or society is real, all they have to do is present themselves to the people of Earth. But that is not going to happen, because it is all made up!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 12:39PM

What if someone presents the theory, "What if God is not out there?" as a way to cement the pre-accepted premise that God is out there?

Simply stating, "What if 'this' were not the case?" is a way to reinforce that 'this' is indeed the case.

Nice try.

Date: May 27, 2019 04:50PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> What if someone presents the theory, "What if God
> is not out there?" as a way to cement the
> pre-accepted premise that God is out there?
>
> Simply stating, "What if 'this' were not the
> case?" is a way to reinforce that 'this' is indeed
> the case.
>
> Nice try.
Who said anything about God? I said, "Our Creator", which could be viruses. Since they're not alive, but carry DNA, containing all the information required to create life.
Personally I don't believe in any sort of a personal, "God". But I do believe in Einstein's god, the laws that govern nature, only one that does play dice with the universe, its just that the dice are loaded, in favor of life.
Otherwise. We wouldn't exist in the first place.

Posted by: Exminion ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 05:24PM

Nice "gotcha", Done & Done.

I have spent a lifetime trying to figure it out, and all these theories are a lot of fun! I'm more fascinated by all of it, rather than frustrated, because I'm comfortable with ambiguity. I also lack any intellectual ego. I think these traits are a plus. Religion and other scams exploit people's demand for impossible answers and cures. There's always someone out there ready to sell you the latest ones. I do have the highest respect for scientists, though, as I like their more curious, more empirical, more open-minded approach. I'll always believe in science. I love the way scientific facts have built upon each other, throughout generations, throughout the eons.

Human beings have worked together in getting some of the answers, making life better, and creating a whole bunch of great inventions! That's as close to "God" as we'll ever get...perhaps...but you and I will never know the future.

To me, it doesn't matter whether our creator is out there or not.

If he/she/it is out there, he/she/it is doing NOTHING! In that sense, God and Billy Snott are one and the same.

So--as Summer says, "Why worry about it?"

Date: May 28, 2019 09:58AM

I think we may have been separated at birth. :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 10:48PM

I had two creators and they are not out there.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 11:00PM

OMG!!! Your two creators had four creators, who had eight ...

How many generations to reach one billion creators?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 12:05PM

We should call them Gods or turtles!

Wait. Mormons already came up with the regressive endless god chain and that doesn't solve anything.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 09:57PM

dagny Wrote:
> We should call them Gods or turtles!
>
> Wait. Mormons already came up with the regressive
> endless god chain and that doesn't solve anything.

Thank you !!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 11:02PM

More and more so lately. My Dad's in the China cabinet in the dining room. Gotta decide where we're going to put him one of these days.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 09:23PM

I think that is a given. Lottsa stuff...but no dude up in the sky.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 10:24AM

Is Wally Prince a creator/god in some sort of chicken-vs-egg scenario?

Follow me here. We are created by Billy Snott as NPCs in one of his computer simulations. Wally Prince somehow unshackled himself from Billy's programming in order to create Billy as the creator of our (perceived) reality so that Wally could evolve within Billy's simulation to create Billy...etc. Mind. Blown.

Who is the original creator?

Date: May 28, 2019 11:33AM

Who is the original creator?

Whoever he is doesn't want you to delve into the mystereries. He'll explain it later--much later. Didn't you learn anything from your time in the Mormon clink?

And, if I've got to pray to somebody it may as well be Billy-- in the name of Wally, amen. Or to Wally in the name of Billy. At least He's funny and hopefully the costumes will have some pizazz this time.

Now if it's a new religion all we have to do is figure out who the sinners are and who we are supposed to be better than, and what's wrong with us that only Billy/Wally can fix.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 12:52PM

There's a pretty good sci-fi book about a guy who travels in time only to discover that viruses arrived on Earth millions years ago and inhabited and controlled some dinosaurs, so they learn english and communicate with guy.

Yeah, talking velcociraptors...or Utah raptors... :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.