Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: justCurious ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 09:49PM

Today I was listening to a Zelph on the shelf youtube video and they mentioned that the temple ceremony has been changed so the wife no longer submits to the husband as the husband submits to god -- I don't want to doubt Zelph, however this seems like a huge change (at least in my opinion). Is this true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 09:55PM

It is!

"The Salt Lake Tribune is reporting from a witness who went through the temple Wednesday that important elements have indeed been altered, including:

GONE: women’s promise to hearken to their husbands, as the husbands hearken directly to the Lord. Men are no longer intermediaries between women and God in the temple.

EXPANDED: the role of Eve, who previously had no dialogue after the expulsion from Eden, and is now purportedly more loquacious than Satan.

UNITED: women and men covenanting together to serve God, with the same promises, rather than covenanting separately with slightly different wording."

https://religionnews.com/2019/01/03/major-changes-to-mormon-temple-ceremony-especially-for-women/

It's all been verified. The new changes, ALL of THEM, have been brought to you by one very nervous bunch of stakeholders in a religion being buffeted by the Winds of Truth.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 10:02PM

Yes. This was big news about six months ago. https://religionnews.com/2019/01/03/major-changes-to-mormon-temple-ceremony-especially-for-women/

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/01/02/lds-church-releases/

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-05-05-vw-353-story.html

There's been a lot of discussion about the changes here and elsewhere since then.

I still haven't found a full transcript of the revised ceremony online.

Date: May 28, 2019 10:12PM

I didn't go through the whole thing, but it is apparent that a great deal of effort has been made to make public the new 2019 temple ceremony.

https://thoughtsonthings&stuff.com/temple-changes-for-2019/

replace the & with 'and'

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 11:56PM

being taught in the temple? Turns out they were all optional and not based on revelation at all.

At this point, I don't think anyone really knows what parts (if any) of the temple ceremony are or were ever based on revelation. They seem to feel free to change anything anytime.

I'm not terribly old, but I can say that at least one third of the ceremony (which I was taught was all straight from God) has been deleted or radically changed since I left Mormonism.

No bloody penalty pantomimes.

No Pay Lay Ale.

No groty gropefest with the mystery curtain man ("Five Points of Fellowship")

No veils and submission oaths by the ladies.

No oil dabbing on the naked groin area. (I'm not sure about this one, but I think I heard that they don't do that anymore).

Apparently, they've also recently changed wording so that "sons and daughters" of God have been reduced to God's "men and women."

The temple is such a huge farce and obvious fraud... It truly does disturb me that I have close TBM relatives who still take it seriously and pretend like they're really "learning eternal truths" through the special underwear and handshakes. It's depressing to think that human adults in supposedly advanced countries can still be this gullible.

Date: May 29, 2019 12:07AM

JS made it all up, basing his mormon version on what he'd learned as a Mason. And he kept adding things!

After his death, the ritual and the verbiage 'froze' and the temple workers just kept doing what they'd been taught.

When they got to Utah, their efforts were restricted to the SLC Endowment House, and the number of 'trained' temple workers was quite limited, although lots of attendees knew the words, signs, and gestures by heart.

Anyway, when it came time to dedicate the St. George, a meeting was called to try to confirm, and make a record of, the temple script... exit stage right.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 07:21AM

The Smith’s practiced folk magic. There is a lot of Masonic influence in the Mormon temple ceremony but there are also elements of magic.

Magic is using symbols to represent something and then using those symbols in rituals. The prayer circle is very ritualistic. It’s using a group of people in a sacred spot to focus their energy on certain people. Much like how witches and magicians cast a spell.

In the case of the prayer circle it’s to give the prophet, church leaders, missionaries and people on the prayer roll that focused positive energy.

Apparently in the early endowment sessions they used to call for vengeance against the church’s enemies so this would be a form of mild black magic.

Joseph Smith was a magician with seer stones (used like a crystal ball) and talismans. He probably would have felt right at home in the Golden Dawn. He probably would have loved sex magic.

But the LDS temple is a weird mix of Free Masonry, esoteric magical practices and Christianity.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 03:21PM

"Joseph Smith was a magician with seer stones (used like a crystal ball) and talismans."

I'd love to see a movie where they computer animated the historical narrative like a Harry Potter movie. That would be epic. Also, all the Joe chasing tail intermixed with the consulting astrology, learning Hebrew, "translating" Egyptian, sermonizing like he did with King Foliet.

All the sparking Joe did and the charlatan stuff but with angels appearing and God and Jesus and all.

It would be epic and so UnMormon.

Date: May 29, 2019 03:58PM

I get to play the part of Rufus B. Kingfish!!

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 10:19AM

Here's a recording of the exact changes:

https://youtu.be/7VOb0XNjdXE

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 11:56AM

I admit I did my share of 'going along to get along' during the years I was trying to believe. I tried to shrug off the inconsistent doctrines and the bland white shirt culture but I never could swallow the Temple stuff. Jesus, who supposedly knows your heart, is going to require some 'sacred' handshakes before you can get into heaven? Do people in heaven wear those strange hats and goofy costumes? Is that temple movie really supposed to be deep doctine? Etc, etc, etc.

How do the true believers justify the temple? Is it just a matter of groupthink and obedience or what is really going on in the minds of otherwise seemingly rational people?

Date: May 29, 2019 12:45PM

I cannot swallow the the allegation expressed in F&TM that "I learn something new every time I go to the temple." But I can swallow the fact that it is likely that a polygraph machine would indicate the statement did not indicate deviation from 'truth'.

If you think of life as a game, you should acknowledge that we each accept some rules from others as well as write some of our own.

And some people find themselves on a team and believe that without that team membership, they'd be lost.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 01:31PM

the only 'permanent' thing in Morland is CHANGE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.