Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 09:52PM

I live on the outskirts of Washington DC. Yesterday I had to drive across town, so I was listening for the traffic report on the radio. The temple is on the north side of town, just off the interstate, so it's referenced sometimes as a traffic-related landmark. Anyway, I had a good chuckle when they referred to it as the "Mormon" temple. Apparently the talk radio folks haven't gotten Rusty's memo re. the church name.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 11:31PM

Russ needs to get some billowing robes and a long staff & climb up on a high wall. If he then shouted in a loud voice the evils of the word "Mormon" perhaps the media would give him some attention.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 01:26AM

I wonder how the quick traffic report script would be required to change. "Traffic backed up to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints's temple." Quite a mouthful. More efficient to use a different landmark.

Rather than use the full name, I just ignore the subject altogether.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 06:24AM

If Rusty really wanted to promote Mormonism he'd get hip to the selfie crowd and invent a catchier name that people could use in Instabook or whatever app the hip crowd is using. Not sure it would lead to increased membership but the beltway traffic reports might get more jazzed up.
"Folks we got a buggy blaze half mile west of the Temple O'daMo'."

Instead Rusty is going the other direction, being totally pendantic and blowing out of the water the I'm a Mormon promotion the blind members paid $millions for.

Posted by: KidTwist ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 07:35AM

Traffic could just refer to it as the DC Temple.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 02:07PM

KidTwist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Traffic could just refer to it as the DC Temple.

But that would confuse it with all the other temples, like that secret satanic one all the US presidents have to be inducted into, before they get inaugurated. Or the Hindu temple.

Posted by: VZ Gardner ( )
Date: June 04, 2019 11:30AM

KidTwist Wrote:
> Traffic could just refer to it as the DC Temple.

There's a Masonic Temple on the south side of the beltway.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 02:27PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> n/t

I'm not so sure. Mormon is well established, but look at all the phrases which have fallen out of use - Dippers (also applied to Baptists), the Golden Bible (BoM), Josephites etc. So who know?

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 03:42PM

Crusty needs to be careful how hard he pushes the issue. It's one thing for the members to be whiny and irritating about it, but if "the profit"[sic] is demanding that the public get with his program, and they don't, then Crusty looks like a fool in front of his minions.

Many folks will continue to say "Mormon" because it's always been Mormon, even to Mormons. Unlike certain other words or phrases that have fallen into disuse, "Mormon" is not pejorative, and never has been. This new effort to make it so doesn't pass the laugh test, because the Mormons themselves were even recently running a massive campaign to make "I'm a Mormon" ok.

Anyway, it's all about conformity, like most things Mormon. Koolaide drinking TBMs will signal their status to each other by not saying it, and badgering those who do.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 07:30PM

The church needs to pay K-M to set up a web page to which virtuous mormons can send reports of whom they have caught uttering 'mormon' in reference to individual members or to the church itself.

With one fell swoop, the reporters will have upvoted themselves and downvoted their competitors, ...er, I mean the people who need to repent.

There could be rewards for each plateau of reporting, like a photo of Wendy after ten reports and, oh, say, a crystal sacrament water cup with your name on it that the Teachers have to fill every time the sacrament is passed and some poor Deacon has to carry around until he finds you. ...can you say 'speh-shul'?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 11:00AM

So amazing how completely Rusty avoids any moral leadership.

His legacy to the world is quibbling over what to call themselves and 2 hour church.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 09:50AM

It's about the first thing I see when I get on 495 going west.

I guess it is a frequent reminder of how much my life has changed.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 10:14AM

Funny thing about the "mormon" word is the dippy Mormons are the ones who created the buzz of how it is such a dirty word. It will always be MORmON. They can correct me as much as they want. No way in hell am I using that tongue twister of a moniker...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.