Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 04:25PM

Dusty Rusty is telling people in his tours tough times ahead. Get prepared. Yet as CEO he is spending, spending, spending and not on church related stuff. So I see two messages. Please correct me if I am wrong. Members in my Edmonton Ward are very afraid. Me I see lots and lots of good in world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 04:32PM

Yet they don’t fear throwing their lives away on Mormonism.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 05:59PM

If I can cause you to fear, I can contol you, and make the many serve and bow down to the few.

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 11:19PM

Incredibly accurate. Fear is powerful. There's no room for thinking when the pain caused by fear dominates. Of course, this type of fear is irrational and can be concluded with some research, but understandably it's more complicated on an individual level. But it sucks because this allows others to have easy control, which doesn't feel good because it means giving personal power away.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: June 06, 2019 12:03AM

Absolutely spot-on.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 04:39PM

On one hand it may simply be good old fashioned religious rhetoric.

On the other hand the church has many very good economists, business professionals and financial planners. The church has huge economic interests and protects those interests even at the expense of the members as we saw a decade ago.

Business cycles repeat. Rusty may be getting briefings on economic forecasts for the near future.

It is always good to be prepared. I am trying to cut costs, invest more conservative (I'm old and retired, I don't have years to wait for my portfolio to "recover") and replenish my emergency stash.

Note I said stash, not food storage. My stash includes dish soap, body wash and shampoo, medical supplies, toilet paper, canned goods, dry goods and hardware for home repairs.

I recently depleted it when my son was unexpectedly laid off and the daughter in law was hospitalized. I'm glad I had it. Now I need to rebuild it.

My grandkids were thrilled Grandpa brough spaghetti os, pop tarts, cereal and some new toys and books.

It doesn't take a surgeon to see possible environmental and political factors that might disrupt the food and fuels supply.

The one sure thing. You can not count on the church to help. Even if you were a full tithe payer.

Date: June 02, 2019 04:56PM

Are they worried about the fruits of their own institutional rot? TSCC is supposed to be Porter Rockwell’s America. Their discernment didn’t foresee the consequences of trading faith for finance? Enjoy your bowl of beans, Esau.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 06:39PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 10:39PM

over Porter Rockwell's America.

NR's America: Something exemplified by scene of a boy scout saving a young girl from an icy river, putting his coat on her to keep her warm and taking her safely back to her home.

PR's America: Something more like a boy scout kidnaps a young girl and drags her to an icy pond where he threatens to throw her in (confident that the current will take her body far away and nobody will ever be able to link him to the crime) unless she agrees to marry him. Under duress, she agrees to marry him and he takes her to Joseph Smith, who pronounces them thug and wife.

Date: June 02, 2019 11:18PM

The pitfalls of a 55 year old brain.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 05:08PM

After the City Creek Mall debacle, stopped paying attention to Mormon financial forecasting.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 07:19PM

What are the economic woes that are coming? mormondom inc. is pretty well situated to come out ahead with their investments in real estate. The rich always make out like bandits in a market disruption.

If he really wanted people to be safe he should tell them to stop paying tithing and pay off their mortgages instead. And after everyone has saved a million or two then they can tithe.

Posted by: Preparer ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 10:13PM

What COULD happen ...

The stock market is sky high, overvalued and overbought. We are due for a correction which could be significant. And a correction can snowball when you combine it with trade wars, tariffs, American political unrest, EU unrest, Middle-East, North Korean and South American unrest. There is also downward spiral of significant consumer and student debt in addition to the national debt.

Yes, there COULD be serious trouble ahead.

I’m one who believes in being prepared for hard times. I’m preparing in smart ways while the times are good. I wish that everyone would prepare and not suffer the hardships that may come.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 10:29PM

The "prophets" have been warning of tough times ahead forever. (That's what the whole food-storage thing that goes back more than 60 years has always been about.)

A broken clock tells the exact time twice a day. These "prophets" only need to get it right once in a hundred years. And if they repeat the same ambiguous message year after year, decade after decade, generation after generation, there's a good chance they'll get it right at some point in time--especially when the message is as vague as "trouble ahead". There's been plenty of trouble behind (wars, depressions, recessions, civil war, floods, dust bowl), so there's no reason to think that the future will be trouble free.

It's like going to a phony fortune teller who takes your money and then predicts that "sometime in the near future you will meet somebody and that person will have some disagreement with you about something significant and if you obsess over the disagreement it will lead to even greater difficulty." Uh...yeah...that kind of ambiguous prediction will probably "come true" for 99.9% of the people in this world.

The sad thing is that the members don't expect more from their prophet. You can go on youtube and find literally thousands of people predicting trouble and hard times ahead. If the Mormon prophet was really capable of anything special at all, he would be giving specifics. He would name names. He would give dates. He would describe in detail the types of problems that are up ahead and give clear advice on the exact types of preparations needed to safely navigate through those hard times. But of course he hasn't got any real information. Just telling people that difficult times are ahead is not helpful to anyone. Just more evidence of a phony prophet vainly trying to keep up pretenses.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 10:48PM

Well, they could not prophesy 2008 and Beneficial went under due to bad investments in sub prime.

Recessions come in cycles, you don't have to be a prophet to know that.

Smart people do not pay their money to the Mormon church.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 08:25PM

...and before Beneficial Finance went Bust, the Corporate leaders at LD$ Inc were partying their asses off !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1uIgbI2QY

Date: June 06, 2019 12:03AM

Aren’t the Mormons’ biggest troubles self induced?

Rusty, if you’re worried about trouble ahead get more fiber in your diet.

Posted by: Chicken N.Backpacks ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 11:11PM

"...you can look forward to seeing your grandchildren...and maybe your great-grandchildren..."

Oops, that was another recent guy with a direct line to God.

They need to get their story straight.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 11:13PM

It is and always has been about THE MONEY and separating the faithful from theirs.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 11:06AM

This reminds me that I need to throw out our 20+ year's ago cans of sugar. Canned them ourselves at a ward project. They've probably turned into gigantic Jolly Ranchers by now.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 03:54PM

I remember my mother telling me that someone had heard so and so say that "hard times are coming" so many times. Everyone has probably heard the one about Kimball being in an elevator in a hospital and saying "hard times are coming" and I had many people tell me about it.

Sure, hard times came for me after that (and I laugh). Most of the other people in my circle were doing just fine.

When I read in Dialogue in the early 1990s that they've been saying this since the early days of the church, then it all became crystal clear. Back then, women were leaving their husbands to be sealed to a church leader so they had a ticket into the CK as THE END WAS NEAR.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 08:34PM

I deciphered the message!!!!!

Rusty will soon pass through the veil then Hoax will take over.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 11:06PM

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: June 08, 2019 12:46PM

She will go move back in with Sheri and they can resume or continue to pleasure each other.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 09:13PM

Stuff and nonsense

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 09:25PM

Hard times are practically guaranteed when one sacrifices 10% of gross for invisible products and eagerly hands over all one's time. focus, attention.

That's some hard times.

Russell is right!

Posted by: Formerbish ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 11:49PM

They have had dire warnings for my entire life 50+. No debt, plant garden, years supply food later fuel too, pay off house. Lately they have been saying it will be harder to be member of church....maybe because of this site who knows. They have nothing else to say so they repeat what has worked in the past

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 08, 2019 02:49AM

Members: TIGHTEN YOUR BELTS
(Give Us MORE ["tithing"] MONEY)
Misleaders: Tighten their seatbelts

Same old song and dance
Corralling the animals

Posted by: KidTwist ( )
Date: June 08, 2019 04:55AM

Tough times means Church Co. needs more of your money.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 08, 2019 12:32PM

There is always trouble ahead -- The Great Depression, WWII, Korea, the multiple assassinations in the 60s, Vietnam, the stock market crash in the 80s, 9/11, two Gulf wars, the housing bubble, etc. Saying that there is "trouble ahead" is a fairly safe bet. The question is when and under what circumstances it will occur. And Rusty can't answer that any more than we can.

But what he *can* do as the church's leader is to scare people. Scaring your membership has its purposes, I suppose.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.