Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 12:06PM

I'm not surprised. Don't ever mess with librarians ! They have the power of shoosh !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 12:15PM by Dave the Atheist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 12:39PM

but just so happened to be making dinner when it was the only thing I could find on on the TV in the kitchen as it isn't hooked up to cable and I thought, "Just because I'm watching it, he'll lose."

When she did that big bet on the daily double is when she pulled out ahead and he never did catch her.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 03:45PM

IMO, if it looks too good to be true, it generally is. On KSL.com news, Spoiler Alert, it says:” The streak made Holzhauer a household name and sent ratings soaring, at a time Jeopardy needed a pick-me-up amid host Alex Trebek’s announcement that he had cancer.” Quiz shows in the 50’s had cheating scandals and it got so bad that Congress got involved. Even if Holzhauer was clean as a whistle, he didn’t play the game; it was more about beating the system. IMO, there’s nothing honorable about that.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 05:06PM

Your cynicism is well placed, but there are other ways to manipulate it - the running order of contestants, the nature of the questions (if they can be called that) etc.

p.s. Quiz Show - underrated nineties film.

Date: June 09, 2019 05:02PM

I'm amazed there are any librarians left. I mean, I love libraries, but they are being trashed by underfunding, closures and cultural warfare on what they can and can't have on their shelves. There is a tendency towards making the staff unpaid, or even to automate the places completely. But libraries when properly stocked and equipped, they provide the opportunity for anyone to better themselves and overcome their origins.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 05:08PM

So tell us who is under funding them and who is closing them and who is committing cultural warfare on them. You appear to be committing the lie of omission again.

Date: June 09, 2019 05:51PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So tell us who is under funding them and who is
> closing them

Do I really need to tell you who owna and funds your local library? Put it this way, libraries are a softer target for cuts than a number of other publicly funded institutions inclusing schools. It is hard to produce a proper cost-benefit analysis for something whose benefits are often intangible.

If you think I'm being partisan in this, I'm not. Philistinism against libraries is widespread among the establishment.

> and who is committing cultural
> warfare on them.

Various groups who wish things removed, including certain Christian fundamentalists. Look up the banned books' lists for one.

Other groups don't just demand the removal of books, but their replacement with ones that push their point of view, often in a very crude and unsubtle way. Again, there are a number of groups doing this and not just the ones you presume I'm talkong about.

>You appear to be committing the
> lie of omission again.

The sin of omission is not the same as lying. And even it were, it wasn't committed here. The trouble with accuations of "omission" is where it stops - I mean I've omitted the name of my local library (which is threatened according to the people who work there), and how often I go (at least three times a month).

Posted by: redskittle ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 05:53PM

Finally, a new winner in Jeopardy! Honestly, after a while, you just wonder with some suspicion on how Holzhauer wins so many Jeopardy’s.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.