Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:52PM

Does NOM mean "New Order Mormon" or "Name Only Mormon"? (MINO)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:59PM

New Order Mormon

Which itself has many meanings. It generally means 1 of 2 things:

1) Someone who knows the church is bs but stays in and remains active for social reasons.

2) Someone who still believes at least part of the church is true and is trying to create a cultural change in the church.

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 10:17AM

You know much of what you hear from the pulpit is crap...yet you have to keep your mouth shut and smile

You know JS was a womanizing, lying, stealing, money-grubbing sac-o-$%#@...yet to have to lead the choir in a beautiful rendition of "Praise to the Man"

You know the BoM is little more than bad fiction and the BoA is a bold faced lie....yet you sit through gospel doctrine class and hear cry-a-monies where people say they KNOW its true.

It sounds like a ride on the crazy train to me.

Posted by: regposteranon4this ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 10:28AM

and a cop out. And a "I have no balls" or any integrity whatsoever sort of thing. +1

Posted by: justcallmestupid ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 11:04AM

+1

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 01:00AM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 03:07PM

Don’t bother. That domain has been hijacked.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 10:34AM

The terrestrial kingdom was designed for NOMs

Posted by: pathdocmd ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 12:46PM

The terrestial kingdom sounded great to me as a TBM ("better than the Garden of Eden", etc.) They made a big deal about God the Father being only in the CK, so the people in the terrestial kingdon could only see Jesus. Yet they taught that they are basically clones that you couldn't tell apart.

Comparing the two kingdoms:

CK
- living on a big ball of glass ("like a big urim and thummim")
- lots of really stressful church callings, like making worlds and stuff
- Having lots of kids, many of whom are rebelious
- watching you kids have a war knowing that 1/3 were going to outer darkness
- Having to listen to billions of boring prayers every day of the children on the worlds you have made
- trying to keep your many wives happy (no offense to the women out there, but women need a lot of individual attention,)

Terrestial kingdom
- I rest my case. I don't need to make a rebuttal after the above list

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 10:45AM

NOM does not mean much - unless they also refuse to give free service/pay tithes.

Trying to change the morg from within is an illusion because the old guys at the top will always refuse to cede power to the masses.
If you want to topple them you have to shut off the money pipeline which sustains them.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 11:38AM

Some people think their families are more important than the silly church. They chose not to risk the family.

I fully understand that position. I don't understand the compulsion on this board to put them down.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 11:41AM

+1

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 12:04PM

1) Are they lying to hold the family together? I have to ask, what kind of family is it if a person has to live a lie to be part of a family?

2) If they are not lying, and are going along being a NOM to keep peace, is it a two way street? If the views of one person have to be 100% subjugated to keep peace, what sort of family is that, really?

I am not critical of a "NoM" as long as they are not selling a pack of lies to the family and the church and there is compromise regarding religious views and going to church by both partners in the marriage.

You see, for number 1, I would be critical of the lies. Number 2 I would be critical of the person being walked on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 12:28PM by MJ.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 01:39PM

Its funny because before I went to the NOM website I thought it meant Nominal Mormon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.