Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 05:29PM

I was in the midst of tens of thousands of people suffering from same sex attraction. Funny thing is that they didn’t seem to be suffering, but I’m sure that the brethren know better.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 05:32PM

Laughter.

Nicely put.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2019 05:51PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 06:34PM

Pride goeth before destruction

Date: June 16, 2019 06:46PM

There is, I was often told, a difference between joy and happiness. The Pride participants may be overflowing with happiness but they will never experience true Mormon joy and Prozac.

Posted by: HWint ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 08:41PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
they will never
> experience true Mormon joy and Prozac.

Utah's high depression rate has less to do with Mormonism, and more to do with high altitude. Other mountain states have similar per-capita high rates of depression, something about the altitude can mess up serotonin levels.

Hard for some ex-mos to accept that LDSinc is not the root of all evil and all problems.

Date: June 17, 2019 09:21PM

> Utah's high depression rate has less to do with
> Mormonism, and more to do with high altitude.

Perhaps. But the data is mixed. What you are describing is not patterns of depression but suicide, which seems to be related to altitude.

----------------
> Other mountain states have similar per-capita high
> rates of depression, something about the altitude
> can mess up serotonin levels.

Not true. With regard to mental illness, depression, and anti-depressive mediation, Utah is off the charts--and other high-altitude states are not in the same league.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjy7JDm6_HiAhUSKH0KHYUADU4Qjhx6BAgBEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldextra.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Futah-has-highest-rate-of-mental-illness-in-us%2Farticle_053ef820-584d-5930-953e-c75548be7c5c.html&psig=AOvVaw1hfNu10aAwkKALyB8Oagd_&ust=1560906428724198

Indeed, the Mountain West as a region uses the second least anti-depressions in the country. Yet Utah is the highest state of all, so altitude is not the answer.

https://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/documents/s19032en/s19032en.pdf

The theory that altitude causes depression is far from proved. Utah is an exceptionally troubled place, more troubled than other high-altitude states.

------------
> Hard for some ex-mos to accept that LDSinc is not
> the root of all evil and all problems.

Hard for some ex-mos to analyze data and realize that there are multiple competing explanations for Utah's nation-high rate of depression and anti-depressives.

--------------
Notice that your writing style is suddenly changing: use of incomplete sentences rather than full ones like those of your alter ego. Still no denial of my surmised identity.

Strange to see.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 06:56PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Pride goeth before destruction

There is no logic to that sentiment. It seems to me that a more sensible thought would be, "Pride goeth before an excellent return on investment."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 07:23PM

Is there anything logical about the buy-bull ?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 07:55PM

Is there anything logical about the lives most of us live?

I have no use for the Bible. That's as far as I feel the need to exercise myself. How's that for logic? Or maybe I am confusing the words logic and lazy?

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 08:16PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Pride goeth before destruction
>
>
> There is no logic to that sentiment. It seems to
> me that a more sensible thought would be, "Pride
> goeth before an excellent return on investment."

It is a feature of ancient Greek tragedy. Hubris followed by nemesis.

It depends essentially on the nature of the pride, since some forms breed weakness and complacency. Christianity is slave morality, made by slaves, for slaves, and slaves can't remain proud long without creating some adverse reaction.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 02:18AM

I take pride in myself and in others. So much pride that I have to hide. I go inside. To the closet, with my skeletons. I'm not coming out until I come. Okay, I'm out!

Now look at my pride!
I cannot let it hide.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 06:34PM

I had fun at a pridefest and everyone looked pretty darn joyful. I was surprised I did NOT see an LDS booth promoting conversion therapy.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 08:49PM

We went years ago, when DH was teaching, and he was the faculty sponsor the the Gay/Straight Alliance. I always attended the group events along with DH, and got to know the kids pretty well.

I will never forget the young girl who told me about coming out to her family. They didn't handle it well. They didn't throw her out of the house, but they told her that if she hadn't had a "change of plans" by the time she graduated from high school, she would be out on her own.

She was bright, creative, and a thoroughly delightful person. I can't imagine how or why parents could "turn" on their own kin because of the child's orientation. Would you throw them out because they had curly hair, or blue eyes, or a passion and gift for science or writing?

From time to time, there were hateful people who tried to shut down the Alliance, but last I knew, it was still going well.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 04:41PM

If people ask if I'm a practicing homosexual I tell them, "Every chance I get!" (How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice!)

We are told that suffering makes us become stronger, happier people. I've been "suffering" from same-sex attraction my whole life, and life just keeps getting better and better! I'm very grateful I'm no longer having to endure Mormonism.

(Whenever I hear people, usually Mormons, talk about "suffering from same-sex attraction" I always respond with some comment about those poor, unfortunate people suffering from Mormonism. They HATE having their words turned back on them!)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.