Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:27AM

for me.

So, her son-in-law and, of course, daughter (oldest child of hers) are leaving in a few days for the southern edge of South America as MP and wife. There have been a lot of things going on in the family and a lot of preparation to leave. Of course things to do with the church. She sent me an e-mail about the fact they will be meeting with all of the 12 while at the MTC for a few days.

And then she dropped her bomb--the bomb that I think just barely happened to her and her son-in-law and daughter. Their youngest child, only son, and his wife have decided they no longer believe and they went on a trip to Indonesia at this time and wouldn't participate in any of the hoopla.

I do believe she sent this to me as she is still reeling. She has one son who is not active and they don't discuss it. She has a son who is gay, but I'm not supposed to know and, as my sister said, "You can't be gay in that family."

You can't be an apostate in that family. The courage it took for this man and his wife to leave the church IN THAT FAMILY is amazing! He is just about ready to start medical school and there has been a lot of bragging about that. And then they got hit with this.

I can't stop smiling. I'm sorry, but I just can't. I'm sure there will be more to come. I just replied by asking her how his parents are taking it. I was very kind and brief.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 11:27AM by cl2.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:40AM

It's a good day!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:51AM

Congratulations to him, them - and you cl2. Your deserve some smiles :-D

As you know, I've never a been a mormon, but mormonism seems to be particularly difficult to scrape off your shoe once you've stepped in it, and even more difficult when someone in a previous generation of your family stepped, slipped and wallowed in it on your behalf, so anyone who manages to clean it off is a cause for celebration.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:56AM

The rest of us have reason to smile.

Date: June 19, 2019 11:57AM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 12:00PM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 02:39PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't stop smiling. I'm sorry, but I just can't.

Don't be sorry. It's a smiley day. :)

> I was very kind and brief.

I'm sure you were. And that can go a long way.

The son must have a scientific type of mind if he's interested in going into medicine. That can cause people to see things in a different way. Ask questions. Seek proof. Be down-to-earth. Etc. Or maybe there are other factors. It's always interesting to me to see what caused someone to start thinking along different lines.

It's too bad that developing different beliefs so often causes such upheaval in a family. Hard for outsiders to comprehend. Unfortunately, so much pressure can be put on a person to conform to the expectations of others and it can blight a life and/or fracture relationships.

It's always a good day when you have something to smile about. Carry on!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 07:50PM

So you are saying that there is justice in the world? ;)

Date: June 20, 2019 11:50AM

Karma. I can't really say I believe in karma, but I've sure seen it happen in my life. My "husband" still asks me when he will have paid enough karma for what he did as he still hasn't found the perfect man.

My aunt is busy getting her daughter and SIL off. Believe it or not, she has been cleaning their house after them putting everything in storage, but my 82-year-old aunt is cleaning their oven and refrig. I'm sure I'll hear more back from her about how she feels and how her daughter and SIL feel about him leaving the church. I think it says something STRONG about the fact that he wouldn't participate in any of the celebrations, etc., of them getting called or going.

I do know that they had trouble with him as a kid and she home taught him. He and his wife also live out of state and away from the BIG extended family. I would bet this has been in the works for a long time, but he didn't tell anyone. Did what he had to do and once he got away from the family, did what he felt was best.

My aunt's son, second child, served a mission even though he had been rebellious before. He moved to SF and became a chef and married a Jewish girl. I asked my aunt if she talks to David much and she said, no, but that she probably should. His wife left him and they divorced. Now they are back together, but just living together and the parents ARE NOT HAPPY. His dad is one of the biggest asses I've ever known and told his son they needed to get remarried.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.