Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 07:14PM

Hi! You have shared enough for me to estimate your age as being a few years older than me, and I seem to remember that you are a valley-girl.

In another thread you mentioned being married at 17 and in high-school. Was this an LAUSD school? I remember this being allowed when I was in school, but thought that it was a recent change, prior to which the student would have to switch to continuation school, as my sister did.

Another difference was that the students my age would have themselves emancipated so that they could sign everything themselves. The ones that I knew of were married after an unplanned pregnancy, and none of the parties were 18 yet. They were two couples at Cleveland High and one couple at Birmingham High. One from Cleveland was 1967, the other two couples were close to my age, going through high school in the early 1980's.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 08:20PM

SoCal Apostate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi! You have shared enough for me to estimate
> your age as being a few years older than me, and I
> seem to remember that you are a valley-girl.

From what you've said in this post, I estimate that you are the same age as my younger sister. I went to Canoga [Park High School], which was "the" high school for the entire western Valley, south to north, when I graduated from Sutter [Junior High School].

In the years in between me being in secondary school and my sister being in secondary school, Taft [High School] opened, and when it was time for my sister to enter high school (I can't remember what her Junior High was, but it definitely wasn't Sutter), she (along with everyone else in her age cohort who lived in Woodland Hills) went to Taft. (As I remember, El Camino [High School] did not exist during the time my sister was in high school.)

> In another thread you mentioned being married at
> 17 and in high-school. Was this an LAUSD school?

Definitely, definitely, definitely. Because of the really, truly superb, top quality, excellent education I received at LAUSD schools, I am a committed supporter [still!] of LAUSD. I KNOW what they can do. [I am also aware of what has since happened, and it bothers me hugely. I try my best to vote for quality educations for all LAUSD students, wherever they live in the district.]

> I remember this being allowed when I was in
> school, but thought that it was a recent change,
> prior to which the student would have to switch to
> continuation school, as my sister did.

I would never, ever, under ANY circumstances, have switched to continuation school. I was the fortunate beneficiary of one of the best educations LAUSD (the entire humungous school district) had available--one of the best secondary educations in the entire USA back then--this was EXTREMELY important to me, and I would NEVER have done ANYTHING to put the quality of education I received in jeopardy. Continuation school existed, but I would NEVER have gone that route.

> Another difference was that the students my age
> would have themselves emancipated so that they
> could sign everything themselves.

There wasn't any need for emancipation. My husband (he was nineteen, but he was male--and that counted for a lot back then) could sign anything related to school that I needed to be signed.

We did have an outstanding student (he was Student Body President, etc.) who was emancipated--either informally or legally, I don't know which--during the years we were in high school, but (despite his undisputed accomplishments and talents) he had an enormously sad life, and I would never have wanted to be emancipated--just based on my knowledge of my fellow student.

> The ones that I knew of were married after an unplanned
> pregnancy, and none of the parties were 18 yet.

I wasn't pregnant, but when we were having graduation ceremony rehearsals, it was during the really hot June afternoons (after the June gloom had burned off), and all pregnant graduating seniors were ordered to NOT participate in the rehearsals (lots of standing still, and walking around in the hot sun, for prolonged periods of time), but instead, they were to sit on a long bench in front of we who were actually rehearsing (and they got bathroom privileges whenever they needed them). There were about nine pregnant young women sitting on that bench, and I assume all of them were married (though I don't know this for a fact). (I can still see that bench, and the girls sitting on it, in my mind.)

> They were two couples at Cleveland High and one couple at
> Birmingham High. One from Cleveland was 1967, the
> other two couples were close to my age, going
> through high school in the early 1980's.

Did you go to school with Sally Field? (She is a Birmingham graduate.)

Me being married was mostly a non-issue among my fellow students, my teachers, and the school administration, with one exception: After I married, my husband and I lived in an apartment on Vanowen in North Hollywood--which meant that I had to drive down Vanowen every school morning to get to school, and there weren't any freeways back then--which meant that, if I got caught in surface street traffic, I was late for school.

My first period class was Chemistry, and when I walked into class late, my chem teacher always greeted me with something like (imagine a very masculine kind of hearty, delighted, upbeat tone): "Ah, we are being joined by MRS. Woodson! Welcome to class, Mrs. Woodson!"--and it was obvious he thought that every time I was late for class, it just HAD to be because my husband and I had had sex that morning (which was true sometimes, but not EVERY time).

In any case, in the larger context of my senior year, me being married was accepted by everyone at school, whether adult or fellow student, as "just normal." Other than the first couple of minutes in a few chem classes during my senior year, it didn't seem to make any difference at all.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 11:12PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.