Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon_4_this_today ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 01:51AM

I like RFM. It has been very helpful in my recovery from Mormonism. Thank you for such a great place!

What really concerns me are the continual off topic banter that goes back and forth between certain posters. Their comments are 100% unrelated to the topic, childish and immature. Sometimes, the comments are so numerous that I completely lose track of what the topic is supposed to be about. It really cheapens the experience of interacting with others.

What I would like in a possible forum upgrade would be the ability to add users to an ignore list that would hide their replies. I already ignore certain posters that start threads that I have little interest in reading. If my request seems petty, then I suppose the problem is within me.

I hope to continue to participate in this exmo community.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 01:58AM

Another possible remedy would be a chat room where those of so inclined could banter our little brains out.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 02:15AM

Better banter than batter.

Date: July 02, 2019 04:10AM

Now there you go, just proving his case!

Mom was right!!

Date: July 02, 2019 04:11AM

Watch it or I'll go back on my meds.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 07:10AM

Anon_4_this_today Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> What I would like in a possible forum upgrade
> would be the ability to add users to an ignore
> list that would hide their replies.

If you're ignoring opinions you don't like, you're falling into the exact same trap most Mormons fall into.

We progress by listening to those we disagree with, not by living in an echo chamber. Most social media users are already in an echo chamber, and the consequencea of that can be aeen offline.

Posted by: I agree ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 08:33AM

I don't think the point is ignoring different opinions, I think the point is trying to follow the replies to the thread we're reading and dropping the posters that start side conversations about who is who and are they really five other people and how their response is so predictable.

I've tried to follow threads where over half the entries have nothing to do with thw subject.

Posted by: bonadea unregistered ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 08:41AM

Exactly. Some off topic threads and joking around is fine with me, but I think we are talking about posters to hijack threads to insult each other or try to impress others with their superiority. We lose track of the original point. At the least, they could start their own thread.

Date: July 02, 2019 08:51AM

We don't get to have ignore buttons in real life. I have some neighbora I don't like very much, but I still have to deal with them. I occasionally say hello if we meet, and if there is a problem with a fence, the road or local crime, then we have to spsak with each other. They probably feel similarly about me, although there is no open warfare. There are other neighbors I do get on with very well, but that is different again.

As for work etc, there definitely are no ignore buttons there. We have to deal with people there whether we like them or not.

I don't agree with many of the posters on here, but occasionally, they will post something I'm interested in. I won't even reply some of the time. If I block them/ignore them, I don't get to see that... Because whatever else, we so share at least one thing in common.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 09:04AM

It isbt about agreement.My issue is the off topic nature and the fact that it is of apparent interest only to those involved and one or two others.The majority of posters dont participate. Also hijacking threads is poor form.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 09:07AM

No we don't have an ignore button in real life.

However, if someone is talking so loud that I can't follow a conversation I'm having with someone else, I can ask them to quiet down, take their conversation elsewhere or just plain to shut up.

A way to ignore the children posturing and trading school yard insults would greatly help of late.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 07:21AM

So if RfM doesn't do what you want you will hold your breath until you turn blue ?

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 07:45AM

There are some heavy topics covered on RFM. imo we need some lightmindedness and loud laughter to make it palatable. As irl, we discuss, agree, argue, joke around.

Posted by: bonadea untegistered ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 08:36AM

I agree. There are a couple of posters who do this regularly and I am bored by it.Once in a while is one thing, but this is annoying. I know I dont have to read it, but it often is in the middle of a thread I found interesting before it was hijacked by banter and insults.

Date: July 02, 2019 10:57AM

As one of the parties in the dock, I would like to point out that ”management” knows that LW and I are not the same person. If ”management” automatically pulled the posts on this theme, by all the parties, while at the same time investigating the claims, none of this crap would be happening.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 11:19AM

We know that you are LW and that I am everyone else.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 11:57AM

Ku ku kachoo

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 01:13PM

I'm Lot's Wife and he has helped me a lot.

Date: July 02, 2019 04:25PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As one of the parties in the dock, I would like to
> point out that ”management” knows that LW and
> I are not the same person.

Have they met both of you in the flesh?

Date: July 02, 2019 04:28PM

I believe there are other standards that would satisfy.

Date: July 02, 2019 04:55PM

Or not satisfy, depending on how desperately one wants falsehoods to be true.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 11:14AM

Hint: The name of the poster is in BOLD in the upper right corner. When you see the names that offend your precious eyes, just scroll past them. It works for me if people jabber on. I've not had trouble seeing where the next indentation is for the topic. I like the way responses are indented and say NEW since I last opened the thread. Easy peasy!

Date: July 02, 2019 03:04PM

How about if any and all sockpuppetry accusations are immediately deleted? Then there would be no endless cascade of accusations, counter-accusations and general merry-making.

I really got a kick out of Susan I/S's occasional "Hey, pick one name and stick with it!" posts.

Posted by: FelixNLI ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 03:59PM

This may be a little OT but its Jordan's fault. Jordan said something I really agree with and believe it is a major obstacle to ascending out of our many false assumptions and beliefs.

> If you're ignoring opinions you don't like, you're falling into the exact same trap most Mormons fall into.

My comment: We avoid hearing those who's opinions we don't agree with; it "triggers" us or causes cog. dis..

> We progress by listening to those we disagree with, not by living in an echo chamber. Most social media users are already in an echo chamber, and the consequences of that can be seen offline.

My comment: YES, we need to consider and understand where others are coming from. We may learn something new like maybe we have been wrong about something or they have information we aren't aware of. We may learn where they are mistaken because of something they aren't aware of. This is healthy and we need to discuss out differences. It's healthy and causes us to grow and improve in many ways. It gets us out of the bubbles we live in.

The problem arises when the discussion descends into a verbal brawl by some because they can't agree on something. I think we could improve in this area although I find some of it entertaining, especially when humor is interjected.

I do feel many here are closed minded and even rude at times which causes some to not participate in the discussion. Makes me wonder what things might be like if we could all meet up in one place. Maybe a good thing we are all hundreds of miles apart.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.