Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 07:15AM

Back when I was a member the rapid growth of the church indicated that it was indeed the lords true church!

Today the declining membership indicates Satan is super active in these the last days and indeed once again shows it must be the lords true church!

Which proves once and for all that religious bullshit is the real winner here.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 07:20AM

To be fair, the truth is not a popularity contest.

I'm not saying the church is true but that its numbers have no bearing on whether it is or not. Many people out there believe in all kinds of trash and I don't just mean religious, but politics and pseudoscience (sometimes well disguised e.g. the cosmetics industry).

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 03:16PM

But the leaders of the church claim that popularity does indicate the truthfulness when it suits them. That is the problem here.

We in this forum all know popularity does not equal truth. We are merely hoping that someday the leaders of the church will be honest (yeah, right) and take responsibility for their past mistakes.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 06:36PM

I agree... Few Mormons realize it is a double-edged sword. RCism, Buddhism and Islam are all more popular than Mormonism - although they too rely on birthrates

The persecution aspect is double-edged too. Did it vindicate the Thuggee cult, or Scientology? Does the persecution of Muslims in Burma make them more correct than Mormoniam or is it simply a case of being picked on?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 08:19AM

You see this so often in mormonism. I refer to it as “heads I win, tails you lose.”

The church is growing? That proves it’s true. Growth numbers are in serious decline? That proves the church is true.

No changes in doctrine? That proves we have eternal truth. The current “prophet” contradicts every previous one? That proves continuous revelation.

The church holds an unpopular policy? That proves that the church upholds the will of God over desires of people. The church abandons that unpopular policy after declaring it to be the will of God? That proves that the church is led by God.

Mormonism-the only way to win this game is to not play.

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 08:51AM

I agree with everything you say except for the church it's "heads I win, tails I win"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 12:18PM

We're so persecuted therefore LD$ Inc. must be true.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 12:24PM

Yep! They said only the "elite" will remain. They are pretty elite (eye roll) all right.

They must be proud of God's high failure rate and their ability to be the few who survived the test!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 02:38PM

wheat & chaff, folks; Mormonism / 'religion' is a constant winnowing process; How U gonna call yourself Good without a comparison to 'bad'?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 05:35PM

The prophecy is that in the last day even the very elect will be led astray.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 07:34PM

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 11:10PM

We are the chosen generation that was held back until the very end to usher in the second coming.

I felt a little bit of vomit come up my throat when I typed that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.