Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kristy ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 11:27AM

So, there are many Biblical artifacts found routinely over the centuries stemming to the Biblical era. For example, as in the link below, early letters from Christians to one another. In this example, I will be trying fish liver sauce now. I think these type of artifacts are routinely found.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/christian-letter-bible-discovery-rare

Are there any letters from Captain Moroni or other early Mormon's from the Book of Mormon era, which is also around the same time as the Biblical era? Hmmmn?

***crickets***

That would be a no by the way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 03:09PM

"Our lady mother is well and salutes you as well as your wives and sweetest children and our brothers and all our people."

Date: July 16, 2019 03:39PM

Yeah that was interesting...on the one hand Mormons would probably be very giddy over this quote, "See there waaaaas polygamy back then", but on the other hand - where's the beef for the BOM? There is no evidence whatsoever, but lots of evidence for the Bible, biblical lands, people of that era, etc.

If you are a Mormon reading this, you must ask yourself, "If God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and he has provided evidence of the Bible (not just spiritual but actual physical evidence), why then is not doing the same with the BOM? If he the same - the same procedures, methods, protocol, approach, then it stands to reason he would do the same for the BOM - BUT HE HAS NOT. In fact, he has shown by physical evidence that the BOM is not true, including DNA evidence and a plethora of contradictory evidence.

Where are the lands for the ancient BOM? Man has been all over this Earth. There is nothing else to explore. In the BOM, there is mention of a temple as big as the HUGE temple of Solomon - where is it? Where are the artifacts? Where is the evidence on the hill Cumorah? Think Mormon Think!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 03:57PM

in b 4 ~ some converts came from cultures where polygamy was practiced ~

paul addresses this in 1st timothy 3 where he advises that bishops and deacons should be selected men with only one wife ~

so much for the brighamite church being the "restored" church ~

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 04:05PM

This is consistent with the orthodox position on polygamy: it was never instituted by God, but people did it.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 04:00PM

Fish liver sauce on grilled Curelom.

Yum!

Date: July 16, 2019 05:05PM

Ziller brings up a good point here...this recent discovery supports 1 Timothy 1:3...Mormons cannot say, "weeeellll you know as far as the Bible is translated correctly by golly. The recent artifact is consistent to the bible...polygamy wasn't "restored" - another nail in the Mormon coffin.

Good point Ziller.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 05:20PM

Supports early christianity? Maybe. Supports the bible?

"The letter contains indications that in the early third century, Christians were living outside the cities in the Egyptian hinterland, where they held political leadership positions and did not differ from their pagan environment in their everyday lives."

270 years post "jesus" and talks about "god" (which god?).

"My Lord, my incomparable brother Paulus." Not really compelling as evidence for jesus, bible, or anything.

FOXNEWS reporter takes some liberty by writing, "The letter, which is at least 40 to 50 years older than all other known Christian documentary letters outside the Bible, is written by a man named "Arrianus" and addressed to his brother, "Paulus," likely named after the Apostle Paul who recorded much of the New Testament."

Likely named after the "Apostle Paul"... says whom? Not the Swiss professionals who have had it in their care for 100 years. Paul/and Saul were not unknown in 270 A.D.

Another "skyhook" for xtians to try to hang a hat. Non-sequitur as evidence for the bible.

Seems to me that FOXNEWS is pandering to their base to give them any red meat (no matter how poor the cut) to feed the unquestioning masses.

HH =)

Date: July 16, 2019 05:29PM

IN case some wish to infer that I have left out the "important" stuff. Here is the whole translated letter (read it as if you were in China in 270AD just to be objective):
The full transcript of the letter:

“Greetings, my lord, my incomparable brother Paulus. I, Arrianus, salute you, praying that all is as well as possible in your life.

“[Since] Menibios was going to you, I thought it necessary to salute you as well as our lord father. Now, I remind you about the gymnasiarchy, so that we are not troubled here. For Heracleides would be unable to take care of it: he has been named to the city council. Find thus an opportunity that you buy the two [–] arouras.

“But send me the fish liver sauce too, whichever you think is good. Our lady mother is well and salutes you as well as your wives and sweetest children and our brothers and all our people. Salute our brothers [-]genes and Xydes. All our people salute you.

“I pray that you fare well in the Lord.”

HH =)

Date: July 16, 2019 05:52PM

Good points...no it's NO compelling evidence of Jesus, God, the Bible, and more so as you say - perhaps evidence of early Christianity, etc. I suppose this is a semantics issue from my perspective. As a disclaimer I am an atheist, and not a Christian or any religion. However, I try to find arguments against the cult - that is Mormonism. My main argument to my Mormon extended family is as I explained above.

Date: July 16, 2019 05:56PM

=)

HH

Posted by: felix ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 03:40AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2019 04:49AM by felix.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.