Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 03:03PM

I was up sort of early (930am) today and made plans to go get my car washed and then get groceries. When I looked out I could see it was overcast and I'm glad I didn't wash my car.

On the way to the grocery store, I had to get my morning diet Coke giant cup and as I pulled up to the Maverick station (I think) I saw 5-6 mid teen age boys coming out, all of them wearing white shirts and ties. They were all holding donuts and drinks or similar.

It was early enough I don't think church was done but with the 2 hour Sundays, I'm not sure what time they get out.

I don't remember leaving church to get a Sunday morning treat as a kid, but that of course was long before the 3hr and now 2hr meeting schedule.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 03:26PM

Back in the old days, with the three different meetings, the hour between the end of priesthood and the start of Sunday school was go-get-a-treat time, once a guy was either friends with someone with a car or had a car himself.

We'd run up to the 2nd St. bowling alley, just off of Fremont, because back then gas stations just sold gas and changed the oil and there were no fast food places except A&W and there wasn't one close.

It was SOP.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 04:29PM

Remember the 7-11 right across from Helamon Halls? Hell, we’d all dress in our “grubby” attire to dare cross the street on Sunday to buy some snacks or ... even a Coke. (Trying to appear as gentiles to the savvy clerks). But not me, Coca-cola never passed my lips at the Y; I gave up caffeine. Some good that did, I still never managed to get any third dates and, alas, could not let go of my filthy habits—sorry bishop, I slipped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2019 04:30PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 04:59PM

When my father was a Bishop (early 1970's before the three-hour block) there were times when he was too busy to eat breakfast before he had to be at church. On those rare occasions, after priesthood opening exercises. he would treat the priest's quorum to breakfast at a coffee shop a few blocks from the ward building. It wasn't that big of a deal back in the day.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 09:31PM

They were blessing their sacraments

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 01, 2019 03:01PM

I remember when I was a teacher some guys going to "get the bread" and getting more than that. I partook of their forbidden fruits.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 01, 2019 02:42AM

I don't think it's a big Mormon faux pas like it once was. It seems that it wasn't a big deal to grab a bite to eat or get gas when the church had its meeting spread out over Sundays with many trips back and forth to meetinghouse. Then the church consolidated its meeting into the three hour block (1980) and then a bunch of leaders started telling members to start honoring Sunday. Now that many wards and branches are starving for members, I think the church is not being overly critical (they still don't want people shopping on Sunday) if members are eating out as a family.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 01, 2019 04:18AM

convenience store before teaching primary (we were on our way out, but we had this primary job that we shared and took turns doing). One of the women from the ward was there getting her mug refill of diet coke to put in the classroom (she told me). Wish I had been that smart as a mormon.

When we were young, my mother didn't like us going to the stores on Sunday, although she could buy gas. My mother was an interesting person. I didn't realize how lucky I was to have her!! BUT one Sunday when we used to have the split schedule, some of our friends (my mother's best friend's daughters who were our age) were coming to stay overnight. My sister and I, the only ones who went to fast and testimony meeting, snuck over to the store to buy treats for the sleep over. We got an ice cream cone and were just crossing the parking lot. My older brother worked at the gas station out in front of the store. There was my mother dropping our brother off. Boy, if we didn't get the silent treatment for that one.

My dad would buy us all malts and hamburgers on Sunday nights and my mother would argue about it with him while eating her's.

This board has taught me a lot about how lucky I was to have the parents I did especially when it came to mormonism. I was the most devout of my whole family--crazy me. THEY NEVER THOUGHT I'D LEAVE. And when I left, I left MORE than any of the rest.

I should add that once I had left if I so happened to go into town shopping, I couldn't believe how many of the ward members I'd run into in their Sunday clothes. Still happens. They think Logan is safe since we live in Hyrum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2019 04:19AM by cl2.

Posted by: The Fourth Nephite ( )
Date: July 01, 2019 05:03PM

I recorded some interviews with my grandparents before they died. They were TBM, but recounted eating out on Sundays after church services. My paternal grandfather, in particular, enjoyed this ritual and time with his family. It was nothing fancy, just the local diner / greasy spoon.

I sense that somewhere in approximately the late 70's or early 80's, the Church cracked down and started promoting a very strict concept of Sabbath. I grew up in Cache Valley in the 80's and 90's. Almost all of the businesses were closed on Sunday. It's not like that anymore. Back then, you'd have to plan ahead on Saturday to get everything you needed for meals and other things on Sunday.

I am a NOMish Mormon. I am active, but I have embraced Grandpa's view of Sunday. As long as it's a good family activity, I'm all for it. We watch ball games, bake cookies for neighbors, read books, go on hikes, etc.

Date: July 01, 2019 05:13PM

Are there Gnomeish Mormons?

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 08:19AM

Of course there are.
Check out a picture of the Quorum of the Twelve.
Couldn't resist....

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 04:05AM

Well those are called NO MISH Mormons.

Date: July 05, 2019 06:02PM

Hey! I just got that! That was a good one!!

"All of you go on missions like we didn't!"

Date: July 21, 2019 11:36AM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 05:10AM

The title of this thread would make a great title for a song :-)

Anybody feel up to writing it? I've written quite a few songs, but I've never been to SLC (or indeed the US).

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 05:14AM

Johnny Cash should have written it—given that name.

Date: July 05, 2019 05:29PM

Johnny Cash did sing the pretty-much-definitive version of "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down," originally written in 1969 by Kris Kristofferson--but that doesn't exactly celebrate the LDS lifestyle.

"Well I woke up Sunday Mornin' with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt...
"And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Mornin%27_Comin%27_Down

Cheers.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 05:44PM

Yup. That was my allusion.

A very good song.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 01:40PM

Take the Lionel song "Easy like Sunday morning," not for the compulsively driven Mormons of SLC. For everyone else. LOLOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfNpHd1GaQA

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 12:47PM

Even on long (out-of-state) trips, my (now former) 'tbm' wife would complain about stopping for a meal on Sundays.

but putting blatantly false claims in her divorce complaint sworn statements apparently didn't bother her, Go Figure..

Date: July 21, 2019 04:24PM

Both were designed to follow the will of ghawd!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.