Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 04, 2019 01:22AM

https://youtu.be/aLWUyxkm_Mk
Russel Brant does a pretty cool podcast. This one is great.
Great advice from an empathetic sapient homo sapien soul.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2019 06:32PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 04, 2019 01:53AM

Well that is seven minutes I will never get back.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 04, 2019 02:10AM

Oh, darn!

Kori-cat or Lot’s Wife... Who to trust?

Date: August 04, 2019 02:27AM

N/T

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2019 02:35PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 04, 2019 07:44AM

Here. Have a Kit Kat.

Date: August 04, 2019 03:59PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, darn!
>
> Kori-cat or Lot’s Wife... Who to trust?

Trust your own judgement.
LW obviously has nothing intelligent to contribute to the discussion.

Date: August 04, 2019 04:11PM

And you do?

How many topics have you started on the basis of thin air and some words you don't understand? If you think Russell Brand is profound, or that he had anything to add with that pathetic seven minute rant but watered down and de-deified religion, you probably need help shaving, too.

If you want intelligent conversation, Kori, start by saying something intelligent.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 04, 2019 04:19PM

I'm waiting for Schrodinger's cat to get into a fight with Pavlov's dog.

Date: August 04, 2019 04:28PM

I watched a few other of Brand's interviews, including one with Marianne Williamson. The shows provide compelling evidence that the internet is not making humanity smarter.

Date: August 04, 2019 04:35PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> I watched a few other of Brand's interviews,
> including one with Marianne Williamson. The shows
> provide compelling evidence that the internet is
> not making humanity smarter.

I thought his advice was wise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2019 04:38PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: August 04, 2019 04:39PM

Do you have better words of wisdom for surviving the global crisis we're in right now, with mass shootings by Neo Nazis, every GD day in America,
Britain leaving the EU, both led by White Nationalists who are only committed to destroying the world and everything in it, except the great White North?

Date: August 04, 2019 04:44PM

I went to that site expecting to see something insightful. What I saw was a semi-articulate man wringing his hands and saying what everyone already knows.

Better words of advice? Not hard to find. Thomas Jefferson's edited version of the NT; Laozi; Zhuangzi, especially the Outer Chapters and the story of the butterfly or the tale of the king who wanted to avoid war; the Upanishads on the unity of all life; John Donne; William Blake on the unity of heaven and earth or on children or on God; Kahlil Gibran; Thomas Mann's Magic Mountain regarding the connection between nature and human creativity; Mary Oliver on nature and being. That is off the top of my head in about sixty seconds. I am certain to have overlooking mountains of material, all of which is better than a bedgraggled man with a affected accent and cultivated mannerisms who thinks of Marianne Williamson as a coup.

Date: August 04, 2019 06:37PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> I went to that site expecting to see something
> insightful. What I saw was a semi-articulate man
> wringing his hands and saying what everyone
> already knows.
>
If 'everyone already knows' why are there mass shootings in America every day? Why is white nationalist terrorism on the rise? I thought what he had to say was far more articulate than anything I've heard come out of you.

Date: August 04, 2019 06:51PM

Yawn.

Do you think that people do what they know is right? Does the spread of information dependably and significantly change people's behavior?

If the great thinkers of the past have been exploring these issues for millennia, and left their thoughts for us to read, and yet little has changed, why would a diluted regurgitation of those thoughts by an inarticulate actor make a difference?

It seems to me that there is evidence enough in this very thread to indicate people's imperviousness to logic and facts. Is there anything in Brand's video that will reach macaRomney and persuade him that race is nothing more than a social construct and that white people are not under threat?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2019 07:12PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: August 05, 2019 06:05AM

“What I saw was a semi-articulate man wringing his hands and saying what everyone already knows”

That’s kind of the point. It’s like an infomercial for <insert religion here>. I thought it was pretty good.

Where is the spiritual equivalent of a strip club? Great question coming from a former hedonist. Mormonism used to be that. Back before the girls got ugly and the DJ sucked.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 04, 2019 04:38PM

Idiocracy is a documentary.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: August 04, 2019 07:26PM

Knowing he took his time to interview her, I won't listen to his podcast.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 05, 2019 05:31AM

I might not disagree with what Russell Brand is saying here, but I personally don’t like him much. He’s not really saying anything new. Having said that I’d rather sit through this than anything a religious person has to say. That’s just me.
In examining and creating my own morality and own beliefs post-mormonism I’d rather listen to someone like Christopher Hitchens. Don’t agree with his politics but his views on religion and morality made complete sense to me, but even if I disagreed I think he was a genius.

Date: August 05, 2019 06:27AM

I like Russell Brand sermons exactly because he used to be such a bad boy. Where do you go after all the sex and drugs? His answers are based on personal experience.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.