Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: July 31, 2019 08:39PM

Mette Harrison, mystery writer, author of The Bishop's Wife.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/07/31/commentary-how-be-mormon/?fbclid=IwAR3RlpKtBacidVBhyJv4eJXHV-fjXpu1sHbRYrFoxTqd2rPGq3ZV9SB46hM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2019 12:48AM by Twinker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 01, 2019 09:50AM

Twinker, how you doing?

Did you read "The Bishop's Wife"?

And what the heck is her point with this list? It comes across as just mocking, but was it light, silly mocking, or was did she mean it in a mean, ruffle your feathers way?

Date: August 01, 2019 10:32AM

She's a writer. I think she was just using her writing skills to write an amusing piece. I thought it was funny.

My understanding is that while she was on the fence for a while, she has finally resigned.

How ya doing yourself?

Date: August 01, 2019 10:36AM

I started it but couldn't get too hooked. Don't care too much for mysteries anyway and some friends said this one wasn't particularly gripping.

I think she's written at least one more mystery.

Date: August 01, 2019 12:26PM

It was probably me who told you it wasn't good. I did a ten-page critique on it when it first came out.

I believe she had a still-born baby and got very mad at ghawd and announced her candidacy for Atheist of the Year, but then did make peace and tried again to be a dutiful mormon.

How did you hear that she'd resigned? I wonder if her RM kids stayed in or also resigned?

She once visited us here, right after her mystery was published. If she's exmo, she ought to hang out here!

Date: August 01, 2019 12:52PM

I have two other friends who are acquaintances of Mette's.

One friend has a close family connection to her. She's the one who told me she resigned.

Another friend who is a mystery book reader said she thought the book was interesting for the Mormon references but as a story it didn't work for her.

I'll see what more I can find out about her resignation.

PS Is your 10 page critique published anywhere? I'd love to read it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2019 12:52PM by Twinker.

Date: August 01, 2019 02:23PM

I'm blushing...

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1474652,1474652#msg-1474652

The link still seems to be working.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 01, 2019 11:03AM

73 steps? Mormonism is a very simple religion and can be narrowed down to just a couple:

1. Be unquestioningly obedient to priesthood leaders in all situations.

2. Always have your wallet open.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2019 11:21AM by want2bx.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 01, 2019 11:44AM

Don’t slam your purse?

What is that?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 01, 2019 12:29PM

something. My purse doesn't slam. It has a zipper.

I got a big kick out of the majority of her list.

FHE was hell at our house and only happened now and then. She hit the nail on the head with that one.

So--my mother had a fruit room built in the basement. Nothing fancy. She put shelves in there, not built in. She canned all her life. I refuse to can. I thought when my sisters cleaned out a lot of stuff from the house that they threw out the bottled food. (I was not allowed to be in the family at the time, so I wasn't there.) So my oldest brother told me recently that the bottles started bursting and leaking all over the floor. He gradually got them all out of there and put them in the big black garbage can. He said it took a few weeks to do and he mopped up the sticky floor. I'd like to go over there and tear down the wall she had put up. That room was horrifying. No light. Our basement was very dark.

Date: August 05, 2019 01:22PM

I was scared of our basement place for those "canning" jars. Yikes. And having to help can was like caning.

Still don't understand a slamming purse. It sounds like a Kōan. The sound of one purse slamming in church.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 05, 2019 01:32PM

who do slam. They are hard sided and have a clasp. When I was young, only older ladies had them. Now the younger ones are using them. Wait, my ex's past boyfriend gave me a clutch purse to take to a wedding and it would slam. It isn't very big, but it has a clasp and is hard sided.

AND our fruit room was scary, too. No light in there. We had this issue, though. My mother lived "poor" as she grew up poor. She didn't buy light bulbs very often and we'd move light bulbs around the house. That room never had a light. I was afraid of spiders, etc.

Believe it or not, this one always gets me, but my mom had about had it with being a mom by the time this happene--my youngest brother (who I've told you I'm extremely close to), his wife decided she wanted a divorce. He had nowhere to go. My mother already had 2 disabled sons living with her. My oldest brother had had a stroke at 42--bleed. So she was trying to figure out where my brother could live. I told him he could live here. But she was trying to do anything she could, being a bit out of her mind at the time. She said he could stay in the fruit room. I'm chuckling. I still can't believe she said that.

I hated canning, too. I got to help, too. I absolutely refuse to can. I tried gardening for 2 years a few years ago. I swore I never would as I was raised by a farmer and worked HARD on a farm. I only gave it 2 years. I was done. What a pain farming is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2019 01:34PM by cl2.

Date: August 05, 2019 01:35PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a pain
> farming is.

My parents did it the garden and fruit trees thing as a way to save money on 10 kids.

My Mormon neighbors do it for fun.

I'll never understand how it is fun.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: August 05, 2019 03:44PM

My parents did the gardening and canning... everything else in the list got blown to the wind!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.