Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 31, 2019 11:36AM

"Thompson lived in Hurricane, Utah, and according to the St. George News authorities there received a missing persons report after Thompson didn't return from a paragliding trip near Honeymoon Trail.

Thompson reportedly had a GPS device on him which was used to locate his body shortly after midnight on Tuesday.

The Washington County Sheriff's Office posted on their Facebook page that they were able to recover paragliding equipment along with a video recording device and are reviewing the video to determine factors which led to the aircraft crash.

His King of Random YouTube channel has more than 11 million subscribers and has racked up billions of views.

"We make videos dedicated to exploring life through all kinds of life hacks, experiments, and random weekend projects," the channels description reads. "There is excitement found in discovering the unknown, and living to tell about it, so join us and let's building something together.

He created the channel in 2010 to showcase his interest in how things work.

Thompson told Mediakix in 2017 that he was bullied as a child, became an airline pilot for 11 years and semi retired after he began successfully investing in real estate.

"Then I just started tinkering and learning about how the world works, which was inspired kind of by the idea of the Great Recession from the housing collapse. I was learning about things," Thompson said. "I started making videos on YouTube showing people what I was tinkering with and what I was coming up with. It turned into a big enough movement that I shut down my real estate business, I quit the airlines, and now it's all YouTube.""

A memorial video to Thompson was posted there on Tuesday."
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/31/entertainment/grant-thompson-dead-trnd/index.html

Tragic to have died so young. But he died doing what he loved best each and every day by living life fully and taking it to the next level.

He was noted to have served a LDS mission to Europe, and made the top "4 Mormons with over a billion views on YouTube list" in his too short career.

He leaves a wife and four young children.

Grant Thompson, 1980 - 2019. R.I.P.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2019 12:33PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 01, 2019 04:23AM

I feel very sad for his family.

Date: August 01, 2019 08:32PM

He seemed to have gotten very bored with his YouTube channel. He quit that to spend more time with his family.

He'd left the airline pilot business, and wasn't able to return to that. He left the real estate industry for his YouTube channel. At age 38, he was possibly trying to re-invent himself all over again.

He was a very industrious person, quite possibly a genius. I watched several of his videos and got a glimpse of his personality which was easy to see why he became a celebrity on the YouTube channel. He presented himself well, was charismatic, and a good communicator.

But it all went so fast for him, so young.

It is so sad for his family especially. All the money in the world isn't going to replace him. He made a small fortune, so his family should be left well off financially. But his loss is worth so much more than that.

His death reminds me of my pediatrician who died young, leaving his widow with eight young children. He was my doctor when I was a child. He was a kind, good man. He drove me home himself from the hospital when I missed Halloween one year because I needed a minor surgery, he felt so bad. I'd given him a hard time for making me miss trick or treat. He took me to a drive-in on the way home and bought me a steak sandwich.

A few years later he died in an ice fishing accident near our home in Idaho. He fell into the hole, and couldn't find his way back. Our families attended the same ward together at church. I felt very bad for his wife and children. They were still very young when he died. She was lost without him for a long time.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 01, 2019 09:31PM

so ~

¿ did he died ? ~

:|

Date: August 01, 2019 09:43PM

Yeah. Outside Hurricane, near Sandhollow. He was tracked using his GPS when he didn't return home on time from his scheduled trip.

Just terrible tragedy, and such a loss for him and his family.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: August 01, 2019 11:52PM

don't know him. king of the random it says

Date: August 02, 2019 10:50AM

He was a star on YouTube. He made a tidy fortune before and during his time making videos. Then he seemed to get bored with that too. He was only 38, and was in a holding pattern with what he wanted to do with the rest of his life in addition to raising his young brood of children together with his wife.

38 is young by today's standards. He wasn't able to return to aviation, his first career love.

He was estimated to be worth around six million at the time of his death. Some of that likely came from his real estate investments, but his YouTube popularity with over a billion hits also would've brought in some royalties from that too.

Posted by: Silver Machine ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 11:59AM

I've never heard of him, but sorry to hear he leaves behind a family. :(

Date: August 02, 2019 12:58PM

It is a very untimely death. He was in the prime of his life.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 12:59PM

It’s too bad he didn’t live to become an exmo.

Date: August 02, 2019 03:22PM

Well you know somethin' Babylon? He may have been on his way.

I say that because his bio says only that his religion was Christian, not Mormon. Although his history clearly indicates he was raised LDS.

Add that his YouTube videos show he wasn't immersed in Mormon teachings during the time he was making his YouTube creations.

Such as promoting hard lemonade for making itzy bitzy barbeques:

He calls it the "How to make the Bitty-Q"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R66umlzucUQ

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 03:34PM

Sad,he seemed like a nice guy. I never heard of him either. I’d be afraid to try that kind of paragliding . I’ve been on tandem jumps a few times, where you’re strapped to an experienced skydiver, but that kind scares me.Id be afraid to go in a hot air balloon also.

Date: August 02, 2019 04:30PM

Same here, Hockeyrat. I heard of him on CNN. He was very popular on YouTube. Like made the highest rankings for most viewed videos ever. He was quite a celebrity but seemed to have reached burnout at the age of 38.

I'm not that daring either. I don't even like getting on an airplane. Only reason I do is because it takes less time to get from point A to point B than driving when I need to go cross country or international kind of thing. Otherwise I would rather drive. Hot air balloons I've never tried either. No thanks, not for me.

He seemed like a really nice guy, and deeply loved by most of all his family, but also his fans.

Posted by: WonderOne ( )
Date: August 04, 2019 11:14PM

I know nothing about this man, but I do believe it’s irresponsible to engage in extreme sports / hobbies that could end your life when you have young children and a wife who depend on you.

Date: August 04, 2019 11:30PM

I thought so too. It's not only very sad, it was extremely reckless.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 01:34PM

He must of been a full tithe payer otherwise the church would not of paid attention to him or bothered to write about it.

These youtube jobs seems so millennial. Son, I retired as a youtube content creator. It doesn't pay like it used to and it is so controlled by the google/youtube ideologues.

I guess he fell out of the sky. They should upload the video to his channel.

Date: August 06, 2019 06:14PM

The police used the video to see what happened as part of their police investigation. I doubt that will ever be made public.

He must have been making a tidy living from monetizing his YouTube videos. He was able to quit his day job at real estate.

But then he got tired of that too. He seemed to have an attention deficit disorder of some kind. He became burned out of being an airline pilot. Then real estate. And then the YouTubing to spend more time with his family. Only he had a flash of genius to try his hand at paragliding instead.

One thing I'll say about some men and their invincibility factor is that they seem to have a need for high danger. He liked to live on the edge.

He might've gone into law enforcement for his "next" career. Maybe he'd have had a longer run at that. Washington county, Utah is not known for its high rate of violent crime.

At 38 years young his life should have just been beginning, taking flight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 06:15PM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.