Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 04:05AM

It's friday! Here is what your parents or grandparents may have partaken of.

From the Relief Society magazine March 1962.

Beverages before dinner by Winnifred Jardine.

Cranberry Eggnog

Beat 2 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/8 tsp salt until thick.
Blend in 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 1/2 cup orange juice and 2 cups cranberry juice. Pour over cracked ice.

Party Pink Drink

Cut 4 cups rhubarb in 1 inch pieces. Combine 2 cups water, 2cups sugar and rhubarb. Simmer until tender. Strain then freeze juice.
To serve spoon softened frozen juice into glass and fill with ginger ale.

Mandatory Jello drink

Raspberry Float

Dissolve 9 oz raspberry flavored gelatin in 4 cups boiling water; add 1 1/2 cup sugar, 4 cups cold water, 1/2 cup lime juice, 1 1/2 cups lemon juice and 2 1/4 cups orange juice; cool but don't allow to congeal.

To serve, pour into punch bowl, add 1 quart ginger ale and 20 oz raspberries. Stir regularly.

Other drinks included

Hot spiced fruit punch
Frozen banana crush
Mulled apricot nectar
Grape cooler

And a full page of tomato juice coctails. Various ingredients included

Minced onions
Clam juice
Sauerkraut juice
Bullion
Anchovy paste
(No not all in the same drink. Just odd combinations)
Side note. I remember the Tiffin Room in ZCMI served tomatoe juice cocktails.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 11:02AM

So if these are the alternatives I can see why so many members are hooked on Diet Coke.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 02:48PM

The name Winifred Jardine was always a popular person in my house as a kid, popular with my mother.

My mom was a cook and made great stuff and had tons of cookbooks etc. At least 2 of them were written by Sis. Jardine and mom had kind of a lady crush (not that way) on her, loved her articles in I'm sure the DesNews and the Improvement Era and for sure the Relief Society Magazine. Probably The Children's Friend too!

For a few years in the 60's my mom worked at a dry cleaners in Midvale, UT right at the Junction and was a seamstress but also a cashier. For some reason, Sis. Jardine (my mother always called her that) came in there to bring cleaning. It wasn't close to her home but it was always a thrill for mom to see her there. Not sure why she drove from Holladay but she did. She was ever so friendly to mom (the other ladies who worked there weren't "active" but she was friendly to all). And one year for Christmas she brought all the girls there an autographed copy of her latest cookbook. My mom was so excited (although she already had the book). I forget when mom left employment there but she didn't get to see Winnifred Jardine again. I'm sure she still had the books when she passed.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 03:22PM

I'm pretty sure if you add vodka or rum to the frozen banana crush you get a great hot day cocktail.

Date: August 02, 2019 10:17PM

Banana Crush

Make a syrup of 6 cups water and 4 cups sugar by heating until the sugar is dissolved.

Combine syrup, 2 1/2 cups orange juice, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 4 cups pineapple juice and 5 crushed bananas and freeze.

To serve fill half glass with softened mixture and add sparkling water, ginger ale or other colorless soft drink.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 03:31PM

The cranberry eggnog sounds fair.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 07:32PM

I used to love clamato, but can't buy it anywhere now.

The rhubarb drink sounds really nice. I used grow my own rhubarb and do this. But not very kind on the teeth.

Date: August 02, 2019 07:57PM

Rhubarb grew wild where we lived in the morridor. People would use it to mix with strawberries to make the rhubarb strawberry pies in the summertime.

It grows along the canals and ditches throughout SE Idaho.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 03:59AM

It grew wild where I lived in Colorado as well. I love strawberry rhubarb pie. How is rhubarb not kind to teeth?

Posted by: Jiordan ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 05:20AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It grew wild where I lived in Colorado as well. I
> love strawberry rhubarb pie. How is rhubarb not
> kind to teeth?

The rhubarb itself is very acidic and people often eat it with large amounts of sugar which don't help either.

I find rhubarb freezes very well. You have to avoid the greener stalks though and the leaves are inedible.

Date: August 03, 2019 05:02PM

My dad grew strawberries in his garden. So we had fresh strawberries in the summertime. He would can some of it for jam.

He also collected wild mint when he went fishing along creek and river banks, then make mint jelly from that when he brought it home. That was so good.

The rhubarb-strawberry pie was a rare treat when dad would make that.

Strawberry shortcake, now that was his specialty. :)

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 01:06AM

I grew up in Southern Idaho and loved rhubarb strawberry pies that Mom would make.

Date: August 03, 2019 05:06PM

Such are the gems that make me homesick about Id-ee-hoe sometimes.

Miss my parents home cooking.

They weren't so big on the rhubarb-strawberry pies. But during the holidays mom and dad could whip up a lot of the other kinds. Fruit pies and pumpkin. :)

My grandmother in Ogden made the best ever Lemon Chiffon, Banana creme, and Chocolate creme pies from scratch. I swear she had a secret recipe for each of them, because no one else has ever made them quite as good as hers. They were a tradition at her house.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 11:37AM

My TBM sister and her TBM husband make "Margaritas" using equal parts of sweetened condensed milk and margarita mix. Served on crushed ice.

Of course they are both morbidly obese.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 12:14PM

I read the title wrong and thought of this:

Fill with Kool-Aid and throw.
https://www.tupperware.com/bell-tumblers-1986-1.html

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 06:58PM

The drinks look interesting. I don't think it's a bad idea to have non-alcoholic options. I just don't like to see alcoholic beverages demonized.

Date: August 03, 2019 07:56PM

In my family the alcoholics became demonized.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 05, 2019 05:20AM

I’m all for making healthy smoothies, but god, I love Diet Coke, strong coffee, and red wine.

Posted by: mahana ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 02:14AM

I thought you were going to say a Dirty Dr Pepper or a Maybe Mojito.. lol

Those recipes remind me of the old jello salad recipe books full of icky concoctions like tomato aspic.. green jello with tomato juice, shrimp, celery, & mayo.. eewwwww

Date: August 06, 2019 03:16AM

I previously posted a recipe of cheese, shrimp, eggs and peppers in lemon jello.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 11:29AM

Haha! That's the 60's and 70's. The days of scary Jello dishes and horrid casseroles. That seemed to be replaced with pasta salads and funeral potatoes. Mormon food got better.

Went to a Mormon funeral where the ward relief society provided the food and the salads and deserts were excellent. Those sisters could cook. Maybe it's all the cooking shows on TV now. Maybe it's because Bill Cosby got exposed as a perv. Jello is out and pasta is in.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 11:32AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe it's because Bill Cosby got exposed as a
> perv. Jello is out and pasta is in.

It is work for their dead. May they digest in peace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster#/media/File:Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage_HD.jpg

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 04:24AM

My mom has always been at least semi-health conscious, and we didn't have sugary stuff at home - drinks or food - except for holidays and special occasions. I believe her mother didn't serve a whole lot of sugary stuff for non-holiday occasions, either. These were before my time, anyway.

What I'm wondering from those who may have been around in the '50's, '60's, or '70's, is whether these drinks were something many LDS people prepared and consumed in their homes in the manner that non LDS couples might have served cocktails to themselves in their homes once or twice a week, or if the drinks were more along the lines of the sorts of beverages Mormons might have served when entertaining.

Date: August 06, 2019 09:27PM

The article stated it was for entertaining

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 11:25AM

A Mormon cocktail is anything that has vodka in it. You can't smell the vodka.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 11:27AM

They are sister wives.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 01:06PM

This recipe is from my ward cookbook from 1973:
Shrimp Cocktail
3 quarts tomato juice, 2 cans broken shrimp, 1-14 oz bottle of catsup, 1 C finely chopped celery, 3T Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 t garlic salt, 1 T lemon juice, 1 1/2 T horseradish, 1/2 t salt, 3 T sugar. Chill before serving.
I never tried it because I didn’t want to drink catsup and Horseradish.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.