Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: James E Faust ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:50AM

Why does the church allow Harry Reid to remain a member who has just ordained a former senator as a church member ?He takes position on many issues contrary to church positons on abortion or gays etc.Many ordinary members would be denied a temple recommend or excommunicated long ago for supporting the views of Harry Reid.He just ordained a former senator as member .

It is just because of the power he holds and its benefit to the church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:06AM

The church are more liberal with celebrities, let's them do more or less whatever they want. I think it's because they're high profile and the church doesn't want to piss them off or else it could be bad press (and also make them look too strict to the general public)

For example I remember on of the Osmonds being on a reality TV show, meaning he had to miss church on Sundays. I know if I missed church as a TBM I would've been gossiped about, been getting phone calls asking where I was and saying "We missed you today", getting cookies anonymously dropped at my door and so on. But since he's famous he's evidently allowed to get away with it.

Another example is Brandon Flowers. He used to drink alcohol, and we all know that if we were caught drinking alcohol as a TBM all hell would've broke loose. But he gets away with it because he's famous basically.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:36AM

Politicians often get a pass since they can plausibly say that they are representing their constituencies rather than advancing their own personal agenda.

I have no idea what Harry's personal feelings are on abortion. I get the sense that his support for gay rights is genuine.

I know that he is a first generation Mo and that he grew up quite poor. Definitely doesn't fit the mold of born-and-raised, multi-generational TBM from the Morridor.

That probably has a lot to do with why I find him to be far less obnoxious than someone like Mittens or Mike Lee.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:57AM

My arch-right-wing TBM uncle has said that he doesn't understand how someone like Reid could have converted.

What he doesn't understand is that many people in the poor ward I grew up in were very much like Reid.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 09:45AM

He may be a first generation Mormon but he is still quite corrupt so if honesty is part of the LDS belief it seems to have bypassed him entirely.

Posted by: Transitioningout ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 09:57AM

Bullsh#t. Provide evidence that Reid is corrupt not just Fox News talking points.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 10:59AM

He said evidence, not a link to fascist anti-american blags.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 02:51PM

Damn, we're all impressed at the way you whipped out that f-word. Always the best way to defend your favorite politician, who attends the temple regularly and just happened to recruit someone for the Mormon church without providing him accurate information.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:27PM

...anyone knowing Reid's past with the Nevada Gaming Commission need look no farther. Rmoney was an idiot-tool, but Reid was mobbed-up, IMO....the best of both worlds.

Harry probably did Frank Sinatra's Temple work..............

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Money-Influence-Reids-Nevada/dp/1450584322

Posted by: transitioningout ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:50PM

As expected. Nothing but paranoid right wing sh#t.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:21PM

...interesting how folks don't acknowledge the corruption on both sides of the aisle. It's one thing to support or endorse particular politicians, but when blind obedience and devotion to ideology creeps in, then, it's no better than what Joe or Brigham were preaching. You could find many friends in Nevada................

Date: April 21, 2015 06:25PM

Show me the indictment of Harry Reid. I'm not speaking of a political party. He's a person. As I said above you have no evidence. If you did, he would face a court of law.

Date: April 21, 2015 06:09PM

Yes pure BS. Funny how you slander Harry Reid but forget he's never even been indicted. Now folks like Tom Delay and McDonnell. They fit your description quite well.

Date: April 21, 2015 06:20PM

Abrupt retirement as evidence? Too funny. You ever consider that he's pretty old and campaigning takes a lot of energy? No it has to be that paranoid right wing pundits are correct.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:34PM

Not to mention that he took a really nasty fall around Christmas which he has not yet fully recovered from. He may have permanent injury to his left eye. He also recently bought a new home in southern Nevada that he has said he wants to retire to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 06:35PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: raisedbyjackmormons ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 11:44AM

Just one example...
Even though you may intensely dislike Mitt, Harry flat-out lied on the senate floor about Mitt not paying his taxes, and admitted to the falsehood during a network (not Fox) interview. The man is slime.

Date: April 21, 2015 06:10PM

Why didn't Mitt trot out his taxes and just show us?

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 01:44PM

Well... Most first generation, second generation and third generation Mormons were Democrats.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 07:29AM

I'm disappointed that Larry Pressler got sucked into Mormonism.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 02:52PM

"You can't cheat an honest man."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 08:33AM

I once went through his town in Nevada and the clerk in a gift shop told me that. Anyone know for certain?

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 08:38AM

No, he converted in his 20s.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 08:54AM

People with rank and money are more privileged, and get away with things regular folks don't. That's why people covet power.To get to own things, and to get to go places and enjoy privileged treatment. They look after and protect each other, and we mere mortals maintain their empowerment by acquiescing, which may be anything from hoping for a nice tip to fear that some princling will embarrass us speak to the boss about us.

It's true in the Moridor, and everywhere. In Massachusetts, there are all sorts of urban legends about how Kennedys beat the rap on things, skipped out on restaurant tabs, got driven home by the cops, and let's not overlook women who were emotionally and/or sexually taken advantage of. Even if just half the stories are true...

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 11:27AM

Wonder if he converted as a cover for his corrupt dealings or intention to work with shady folks in his state?

After all, a lot of folks in DC and throughout the country may believe (or used to believe) that a good Mormon boy is innocent?

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 01:29PM

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/04/20/us/ap-us-pressler-reid-mormon.html?_r=0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 01:31PM by dydimus.

Date: April 21, 2015 01:43PM

Is Reid really pro choice? Anyone have a link?

My main dislike for Mr. Reid stems from his lack of civility. He is just a negative person, and if he's not, he's managed to portray that image to people like me who follow national politics.

I'm an Independent so like the subject says, this is not about his politics. It's about his attitude.

This man is not helping. He's hurting.

Date: April 21, 2015 06:04PM

I follow national politics too. I would say his negativity is in measure with that of the tea party. He must respond in kind or he would be trampled.

Date: April 21, 2015 11:40PM

That's the justification Mormon's used in Missouri to rob and murder the gentiles. "Hey they are doing it to us!"

Come on. Have you seen Harry Reid lately? His negative karma caught up with him and he looks like shit.

Date: April 22, 2015 12:04AM

No I'd say he kicked some tea party behind considering he was supposed to lose the last election. Also I would say he's done pretty well in having his way in the Senate.

Date: April 22, 2015 12:06AM

Yeah how's that working out for us...

Date: April 22, 2015 12:14AM

Great actually. Dows up. Consumer confidence highest in more than a decade. My medicare and SS are protected. Thanks for asking.

Date: April 22, 2015 12:17AM

Also marriage equality will be the law of the land and 10 million more have access to healthcare.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.