Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 06:23PM

My mother encouraged me to watch his show.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fox-fred-rogers-evil/

I watched hours of Mr. Rogers. I must be more messed up by Fred than the scoutmaster who molested me, the church who taught me lies, the parents who neglected me to be raised by siblings.

All the stress of not getting what I want in life can be blamed on that damned sweater swinging childhood puppeteer I was so entranced by as a child.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 12:25AM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 08:43AM

I was on Romper Room once, as a kid, on vacation, in Florida (I always wanted to be seen on TV, though we were scarcely able to watch the show consistently). I think I was done after that.

Doo bee... who do I see in my magic mirror? I see you and I see me. Free! WEeee

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 01:40AM

"Romper Room" may have died before I came along, or at least I never saw it. My mom was a local station Romper Room teacher somewhere in SoCal for roughly two years. She used to sing some of the songs and say some of the rhymes to us. The magic mirror rhyme was something like:

"Romper, bumper, stomper, boo,
Tell me, tell me,
Tell me do,
Magic mirror here today,
Did all my friends have fun at play?

I see Billy and Lisa and Steven and " (etc. ad nauseum).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2019 10:36PM by scmd1.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 10:16AM

I watched "The Friendly Giant" up here on CBC....scared me for life...

Posted by: The original MOI ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 11:19AM

Ah yes, Friendly Giant. He was my favorite show. However, I was always sitting on pins and needles hoping I'd never hear the 'crunch' of those two more who liked to curled up on that one chair down below. LOL! Rusty the Rooster and Gerome the Giraffe? Can't go wrong with that. And hey, how's about those kittens that did the orchestra? WOW!

Then Mr. Dressup with Casey and Finnegan, and who can forget Chez Helene with Suzy the Mouse? NOW look what CBC has become.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 11:00AM

Arizonians here should well remember Wallace and Ladmo who pioneered the kiddy cartoon TV genre back when I was a kid in the 50s.

That show which went on for decades featured a few dramatic characters doing skits while the hosts tossed out bags of candy to the studio audience.

I clearly remember how verybody loved to hate the Gerald character who played a spoiled brat with implicit sexual identity issues.

Posted by: The original MOI ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 11:22AM

Mr. Rogers? Sorry world, but I always had a major 'ewwww' factor about that guy. MAJOR 'ewwww' factor. I always felt there was something WAY off about that guy. I wouldn't trust any kid of mine around him.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 11:30AM

Fred did give me an illogical, irrational, and overly smarmy view of adults as a child and I believed my abuser loved me when he was obviously using me and grooming me.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 03:55PM

Speaking of kooky Canucks......I wonder what the little kiddies in Dildo, Nova Scotia watch?

Just wonderin.

Date: August 18, 2019 01:51AM

My brother-in-law used to listen to "Bob & Tom" on the radio as he was driving his son and daughter to preschool and then driving himself to work. The kids chatted away in the back seat, and he didn't think much of the inappropriate content of the radio programming until my niece one day announced, "Dad, you can take the woman out of Dildo, but you can never take the Dildo out of the woman." Then both kids broke into, "Captain Dildo, Captain Dildo, Captain Dildo, Captain Dildo, Yo ho!"

After than, my brother-in-law waited until the children had been dropped of at preschool before tuning in to Bob & Tom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2019 01:52AM by scmd1.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 05:58PM

My sister and I didn't have those stick horses. We used brooms.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 17, 2019 02:17PM

No one scarred by Shari Lewis, Lamb Chop, Charlie Horse and Hush Puppy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shari_Lewis

Personally, I watched "Sam and Friends" by Jim and Jane Henson.

Date: August 18, 2019 01:55AM

My oldest brother's kids used to watch that one. I'm still haunted by "The Song That Never Ends."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.