Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 23, 2019 05:39PM

The print was pretty small to see from my car so I parked and walked over to see what it was all about. My city just had neighborhood block parties which we have attended. I wondered if this was a continuation of that "get to know your neighbors" campaign.

Well, it might be, However, since there was a map showing the route to walk and the starting point is the local mormon church, I have my suspicions. Also, the lawns that these signs are planted in are members, I think.

This feels a little sneaky. I'm all for getting to know the neighbors a little bit, but NOT become a project for LDS recruitment!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 23, 2019 06:48PM

My "ex" went to the one in this neighborhood and my TBM daughter even told him while they were there with him that it is so obvious what they are doing. My ex asked who bought the meat and she said, "The ward, of course."

I'm sure this is just something new. I haven't seen the signs in my neighborhood. I walked the dogs this morning and didn't see any.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2019 06:59PM by cl2.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 23, 2019 06:53PM

Mormons being good neighbors? Say it ain’t so.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: August 23, 2019 07:13PM

No. They're not being good neighbors. It's a targeted recruiting tool. We made the mistake of going to two- 17 years ago in our 85-90% lds neighborhood. Seems like it was planned to get us, and another couple to come to church and participate in "crafts night" and our kid invloved in church crap. Some of the most fake, obvious and disingenuous acting we've ever seen.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 24, 2019 04:02AM

I would re-direct the signs to move people to a local pub or tavern, but maybe that's not possible in utah.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 12:34AM

What? You don’t think there are bars or “taverns” in Utah?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 08:41PM

bobofitz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What? You don’t think there are bars or
> “taverns” in Utah?

I don't live there so pardon my ignorance. Three years ago when I passed through, the greatest sight was seeing SLC disappear in my rearview mirror.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: August 28, 2019 10:43AM

No problem. Those who stop and have a drink will find Utah is more than Temple Square. You’re always welcome.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 24, 2019 04:52AM

Sounds like a trial program.

Posted by: chocolate chip ( )
Date: August 24, 2019 07:32PM

They just did one of these in my Utah neighborhood. There was a route you were supposed to walk and then stop at certain houses along the way for dessert. In true Mormon fashion, cookies and water were served.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 06:05AM

Do you mean the Mormons actually have people come into their houses? That's something new.

Our neighborhood parties are held in Mormons' front driveways. They wheel their portable barbecues out, and set up tables and chairs borrowed from the ward. All the neighbors have to bring their own meat, and assigned food, and when it's over, the "host" returns the furniture and hoses off the driveway. Free advertising and recruitment for the cult.

Every year, there's a "neighborhood" party, and a lot of the non-Mormon neighbors show up for it. They know it's just a recruiting tool, but they like the opportunity to be social and neighborly. None of them will ever be converted. I wonder if it's just a demonstration to show that the Mormons dominate the neighborhood--or to make the Mormons feel like they dominate.

My TBM children and grandchildren, who live in the neighborhood, give me a hard time for not going to these things--like trunk-or treat, the ward Christmas party, New Year's breakfast, or whatever--and I suspect the ward still puts pressure on the members to recruit family members and neighbors, like they have always done.

Cookies and water--LOL. At least, you weren't asked to bring something.

Not enough people showed up last year--and zero non-Mormons--so they didn't have a party this year.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 06:10AM

Is this a Utah thing? Or a US mormon thing? I’ve never seen that in the uk. But then we are so reserved and unfriendly here, if you even talk to your neighbours, people look at you as if you are a weirdo (unless you are in the pub). This wouldn’t work here. The mormons would just get robbed, assuming anyone turned up at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2019 06:11AM by LJ12.

Posted by: KidTwist ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 07:41AM

Someone should bring the beer.

Date: August 25, 2019 09:35AM

I did. To the 1st "neighborhood BBQ" we were invited to 2 weeks after we moved in. Like another poster mentioned it was "Bring your own meat". I marinated chicken breasts and skewered big shrimp for grilled Scampi. We walked down the block, into the back yard. I brought a 12 pack in a cooler. There were two sets of missionaries (in full suits-in August). A few church members came and introduced themselves. We knew we seemed to be the only ones that weren't mormon. I pulled out a beer. The host came up to me and said "Hey, we're providing drinks" and pointed to a table with Ice water and Sprite. I said I didn't drink soda and that in Texas (where I grew up ) it was impolite to go to a BBQ without bringing beer. He said "Well, there's kids at this party, could you please take the beer home?" I said "Sure". We walked home (with our "meat") fired up the grill and enjoyed shrimp and chicken and our cold beer. Never talked to that neighbor again. He and his wife drove by our house, almost everyday, for 4 years and never waved or made eye contact. The next year they had a neighborhood ice cream party. We went to a bar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2019 09:36AM by stillanon.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 12:00PM

Several streets away from us, there are a few signs on peoples' lawns that say:"........... Ward Neighborhood Walkabout". It is for anyone LDS or non LDS who lives in that ward boundary ONLY. I would suppose that you're out of luck if you happen to live even one house outside of the imaginary boundary area. No cookies or water with a lemon slice in it for you!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 02:19PM

I went to one of these cookouts just to be neighborly. At the event I chatted for a few minutes with one of the neighbors and we seemed to have a few things in common. Within days I'm invited to their house to watch 'family movies', have ice cream and etc.
Next thing ya know I'm invited to go with them to a pre-dedication temple open house. I went because I hadn't been to the temple in years and wanted to see if they still were calling what looked like a fancy hotel lobby the Celestial Room (they are).
After I declined a few invitations to attend church my assigned fellowship friend lost interest in me but they still wave when they drive by.

Date: August 25, 2019 03:04PM

Well, the walkabout is supposed to start at 6:30. I'm so sorry I'll miss it. I'll be otherwise engaged watching the NFL game.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 09:31PM

And we aren't a wealthy ward! I posted about this recently. I may have above!!! My ex went. Even my daughter laughed about it as she knows what it is--a missionary tool. I'm sure the ward members were all excited. They get excited when I take a gift to a baby shower or bridal shower. We've lived here SO LONG and we were active when we first live here.

I guess my ex just doesn't have anything better to do. ha ha ha

Date: August 25, 2019 11:25PM

Well the walkabout seemed to be a bust. From what I observed from my living room window, I saw one group of 3 that I would say were definitely from the ward because the gal was in a Sunday dress. One other group was walking down the street, but short shorts and tshirts make me think they were just out for a walk.

So much for that idea./s

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 11:56PM

what's next?

this is really, really LAME.

maybe the Mormon god in charge of new ideas is on sabbatical, desperate humans subbing in.

but then again, Mormons consider 1 conversion out of 100, 1,000, 10,000 or maybe even 100,000 (if wealthy, plenty of leadership ability, new/large house & autos, boats, & RVs for church activities)... a Success!

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 04:51AM

Something that really strikes me is that mormons can’t decide where they’re coming from. On the one hand they are the elite of god and won’t have much to do with non-mormons, and nothing to do with ex-mormons. Then the next minute they are holding parties for everyone in the hope of converting or re-activating people.
I wonder if this double-think is the underlying factor which makes their behaviour so confusing and weird? I’ve not come across anything like it since, except in emotionally abusive relationships. They seem to simultaneously love and hate people.

Date: August 26, 2019 01:12PM

It's not that hard to understand when you consider this;
“Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?”

Basically, a non-member is a target for conversion, or like other's have stated, a project. When you rebuff their attempts to get you to convert, now, you are the enemy and many believe that they can't get a TR if they associate with you. Jesus may have taught "Love one another" but LDS Inc. sure doesn't.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 03:06PM

"They seem to simultaneously love and hate people."

Generally speaking, I don't think many Mormons know how to love. They love with an expectation. They're in love with the idea of shaping you into something that resembles themselves. As long as you show interest in allowing them to do that, they'll love you. Once you become disinterested or resist their efforts, the love is gone. But it wasn't real love to begin with.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 09:38PM

How about the notion that 'love' exists so that you can feel good about having your way with the one you 'love'? That way you can tell yourself, "Hey, I love him/her so it's okay to do with him/her as I please!"

(This is a complete antithesis to what I believe, being of the Ayn Rand school of "I love you 'cuz you make me feel good.")

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 09:39PM

How pathetic it all is.... as if the Mommons in Utah

have nothing better to do than gather up where the food

is supposedly free to listen to the gospel goop. Yuck.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.