Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 06:16PM

Feel like you missed out during your 70s and 80s LDS childhood? Here you go, this should fill in a few gaps:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Super70sSports

Sample:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1165673789767790593

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 08:33PM

My son had the Fisher Price farm. I named my son after Nicholas on Eight is Enough. I wanted to name him Christian or Christopher and my husband didn't like that name. My younger brother said that I always liked the name Nicholas and that is what he is named.

What else? Oh, the popsicles. What are they called? I buy them for the neighbor kids all the time. I wouldn't let my kids eat them because they left the wrappers all over the yard. They did get popsicles with the sticks.

I know there was something else from the 1970s. Late 1970s were great years for me. I'll have to check the 1980s.

I met my boyfriend in 1977 and we worked together and dated through to end of 1978 when he left to work in Arizona. Stupid me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2019 08:34PM by cl2.

Date: August 25, 2019 10:40PM

Great post!

Family rooms with wall to wall carpeting, with three dozen board games spilling out of every corner.

And yes, popsicles; and if you are really good, dilly bars!

Pong was a luxury item. Only the ‘choice’ families had one of those, proof of a ‘select’ family.

Oh the 70s, gotta love ‘em. Who did have a friend’s big brother play a Steely Dan album for you? “Forget that Big Shot Billy Joel, kid, this here is greatness.”

I reached out and thanked that guy for his Twitter feed. Was briefly skimming between other things, my normal internet usage, but his stuff had me sit down for an hour, remembering and laughing and...holy shit, were we really this free:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1165358152159780864

Eight is MORE than enough...but don’t tell Nicholas :^)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 09:15AM

Steely Dan albums because mormons love bands named after dildos.

Date: August 26, 2019 12:33PM

Oh man!

I dreamed about that chairlift last night,

And of stuffing 15 kids into a wood-panelled, lime-green station wagon, to get to the outdoor community pool.

No more insomnia-filled rabbit holes for me.

Whew!

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 03:04AM

WE flew on PSA to TBM Grandpa and Grandma's house in California, for about $50.00 apiece.

We would change out of our travel clothes, as soon as we got there, because we would reek of cigarettes. I had to give the baby a bath, and wash her hair. In fancy restaurants, customers would light up, and we couldn't taste our food.

Remember "harvest gold" and "avocado green"?

My ex-inlaws' house was decorated in those colors, with thick shag carpets that you had to rake with a "carpet rake." They didn't like the kids leaving footprints in the shag, so I had to rake up after them. They had shiny gold flocked wall paper. Inlaws had gravel instead of grass in their yard, divided up into sections, and my little boys kept throwing the rocks into the wrong colored areas, so I had to go pick up each rock, and put it back. There were some bad mud slides in California, and my in-laws lost their entire back yard. They still had a hanging balcony, with a view, and they had their house shored up with cement pylons--but the neighbors below them sued them, because their yard slid down and buried the neighbors house. Fun times.

I remember when it was 1984, and people were traveling in space. My children and I were Mormons, and we ranted and raved about Big Brother being a reality.

Date: August 26, 2019 03:41AM

Avocado Green

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 09:53AM

I graduated from high school in 1977...joined the Mormons my senior year.

I recall shag carpeting (with a predilection for orange hues), low ceilings, the dawn of cable TV and HBO, lots of cigarette smoking (my parents didn’t smoke but we always had ash trays out for those who did...and there were lots), leisure suits (ugh—I had one), wide ties, big collars on shirts, lots of hair (I didn’t get mine cut over my ears until right before I went to BYU), Texas Instruments calculators complete with a carrying case you could string through your belt (yikes!).

Date: August 26, 2019 12:44PM

I was nine in ‘77.

So while you were getting your hair cut for BYU, and punching super smart things on your Texas Instruments calculator, I was puzzling over sea monkeys: what the hell are they and where can I find 20 nickels to get me some:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1163082795436126208

Date: August 31, 2019 12:24PM

She always was a strange one (still is). She wanted a rock polisher, too. I got one for my daughter for Christmas as she wanted one and it took FOREVER to polish rocks. I gave it to my sister.

Date: August 31, 2019 12:33PM

I was listening to the news stories about Woodstock and I was rather surprised by how mild a lot of the music was, and yet we were taught it was horrible. Creedance. I had to get out my CDs and listen this past 2 weeks.

As for Steely Dan and Billy Joel--Billy Joel is one of my favorites.

Leisure suits. A lot of the guys in the singles ward wore leisure suits. A few of them, after they got married, asked us why we didn't tell them how horrible their clothes were. I had to take my "ex" out to buy clothes as he wore K-mart blue light special tennis shoes (and so did 2 other guys in the singles ward). He still wore embroidered shirts that his old girlfriend made him. I still buy his shoes and his clothes, as does our daughter.

I graduated from hs in 1975. I remember shag carpet well and avocado green (my mother loved it--our front room carpet that we had installed over wood floors was avocado green). We didn't have shag, but our grandmother did. Never did have a rake for it though.

I didn't even dare listen to Simon and Garfunkel until I had a very good mormon roommate who listened to it. My brother listened to "evil" music and S&G was one of those. His favorite was and is The Doors. I love The Doors now, too.

I drove a Chevette. ha ha ha I beat you all. It was a good little car.

This was supposed to be at the end.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 12:36PM by cl2.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 11:06AM

For a while we wore turtlenecks with our suits and no ties to church.

Date: August 26, 2019 12:35PM

Bet your sweater game didn’t match these bad boys:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1159496713050234887

Posted by: Tealc' Jaffa ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 12:10PM

If you associate your childhood purely with commercial products, you have a gaping hole in your life.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 12:37PM

I was driving a Studebaker through the gaping holes of my young life! Good times, Jordan!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2019 12:38PM by elderolddog.

Date: August 26, 2019 12:46PM

Careful, good sir!

Drinkin’ coffee here...

(I really wanted to ask LW what “Canadian syntax” is, and if I have it, too.)

Date: August 26, 2019 01:01PM

In the summer of ‘77 we drove from Calgary to Disneyland, through Salt Lake, and then back up the coast to Vancouver; and from there over the Rockies back home.

When in the U.S. we ate at Sambo’s. HUGE difference between Camels & Marlboros and Canadian smokes like de Maurier and Export A. Euyack!!

Couldn’t wait for my smoke-filled pancakes at home again, at Smitty’s.

Date: August 26, 2019 01:02PM

Meant to be filed under messygoop below.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: August 27, 2019 01:23PM

Timmy’s!! When we were visiting the Maritimes, my husband ,all of a sudden , had a coffee withdrawal. We were walking around Halifax and he kept saying “ Timmy’s, Timmy’s, Timmy’s!!” a Little too loudly.
Someone came up to us and told us where the nearby Timmy’s was.
I was so embarrassed

Posted by: No Clocks ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 12:17AM

Human...
Speaking of the 70’s you have a BDAY coming up...
I never could remember which year it was, but I never forget
the day... so have a good one when it comes up here shortly! Oh,and good to see you are still saving everyone from the cult! Power to the process! Much gratitude...
always love you... namaste

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 29, 2019 05:34PM

Me too! A 1963 Studebaker Lark. The thing was so ugly, my high school sweetheart refused to be seen in it. Loved that car.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 10:38PM

Mine was a 1956 Silver Hawk. 3-speed on the column. Double-clutching heaven.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 12:40PM

My Mom would meet Grandma at Perkos on Saturdays. She would have her cup of Sanka (it was okay until the early 80s) and my Grandma would light up a ciggy after finishing her coffee.

We really didn't eat out much back then because my Dad couldn't stand cigarette smoke. He was a mechanic and smoking was permitted all over the place at his work.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 01:16PM

Paneled walls, leisure suits, soft rock songs, and casseroles. Church men warned us of the evils of popular music, television, and civil rights. The church had yet to legalize black people and caffeine. Church dances, pot lucks, and "road show" plays. Mormons liked old movies, root beer floats, and crafts. Station wagons were popular, and large families were more common in the church ranks.

Date: August 26, 2019 01:39PM

And an everyday Fielder’s Choice was death-defying:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1156741163950530561

Sports played a big part in killing LDSinc’s White Supremacy in my generation. It was self-evident that Dr. J was way cooler than Larry Bird, for one example. But the self-evidentness wasn’t universal. It depended upon the family. Some older guys actually tried to convince us that McHale wasn’t just cooler, but was a better baller.

Strictness, in terms of cultural consumption, varied from family to family but varied a lot within families based on birth order. The first two or three kids were basically wearing prairie dresses and deprived of everything. By the time the seven and eighth kid came around, no one noticed them sneak-watching The Dukes Of Hazzard late on Friday night.

Date: August 27, 2019 11:43AM

Walter Payton, Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers, Bobby Orr,Bobby Clarke,Mario Lemieux,Guy Lafleur,Ken Dryden,Keith Magnuson,Phil Esposito,Wayne Gretzky, Don Cherry and Blue, CB and shortwave radios, 8 track tapes, having sister torture me by playing Bay City Rollers non stop, Peter Frampton, ELO, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, classic SNL, Welcome back Carter, Brady Bunch, Trans Ams, those giant slides, where you go down in big blankets, drive in movies, clunky roller skates, Chick o sticks, giant sweet tarts,Now Laters, green apple gum ( long , skinny sticks)

Date: August 27, 2019 11:45AM

Forgot- Chicago Bulls

Date: August 27, 2019 11:59AM

Oh Yeah!

Hockeyrat, funny af or just plain mean:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1165802316085321732

As a Calgary guy, I say funny af

Date: August 27, 2019 12:33PM

Classic picture. I hate perms, especially on men.Reminds me of Mike Brady or as someone said, Eddie Haskell.
Calgary Flames ? I’m glad they got rid of Dennis Wideman. That shot to Don Henderson WAS on purpose

Date: August 27, 2019 12:39PM

Date: August 28, 2019 09:21AM

Yeah, woozy or not, clearly dirty as hell.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 10:25PM

By 1970 I was heading for the exit door. I quit attending in 1971....and for probably a decade before my body might have been in church on Sundays but my brain was otherwise engaged.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.