Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 02:41PM

I rarely see mormon based items at goodwill particularly e ince it is a quarter mile from the DI but today I saw this:

1. Mormonopoly. The box was taped shut so I couldn't see the game pieces but the box showed the board and sample cards.

Boardwalk was replaced by Adam ondi ahman. Chance and community chest were replaced by Faith and Bishops Storehouse. Jail was replaced with outer darkness.

2. The Iron Rod boardgame.

You wander your piece through a dark maze, along a river, through the great and spacious building and finally along the iron rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 03:21PM

It was a dumb game. There was one at the LDS institute that I attended; part of the recreational room. I never observed it being used and it had that light layer of dust to prove it. On another shelve, there were several worn sets of chess and checker boards.

I often thought that most "games" that Sunday school teachers created were lame. There was this spiritual discernment guessing game where one person went out of the room and then somebody would "hide" a testimony popsicle stick. You would call on class members. Half were disciples of Stan and would tell fibs when asked if you were warm or cold walking around the room. You were supposed to figure out who was telling the truth. I was volunteered to be the second player. I walked out of the room and kept going down the hall to the outdoor exit. Later during priesthood, I found out what happened.

"Gosh Messy. We waited 10 minutes for you to come back in. The teacher even walked out looking for you. Did you get lost?"

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 12:40AM

Mormons play games.

The ROD Holders game especially, since the temple is the great and special building, and the tree of knowledge is the Garden of Eden's FORBIDDEN Fruit, and the rod is ignorance and blasphemy and evil...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 12:56AM

How about an entertaining TRUTHFUL Mormon-appeal game?

No buyers you say?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 12:57AM

Anyone else play that 'clap-clap' game, Bishop, Matthew, Mark, Luke & John?

It was either right before or after a rousing version of "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmitt."

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 03:44AM

My parents didn't buy us either of those games, but we had cousins who were never allowed to play with anyone other than their siblings on the Sabbath unless another family was invited over for dinner, and always had to play Mormon-themed games when they played with their siblings. The young children in that family couldn't even play in their Little Tykes kitchen on Sunday because kitchen work was a Sabbath breaking activity. The littlest kids were encouraged to play "Sacrament Meeting" and "Primary." What fun that must have been.

We did have some sort of Mormon trivia game, which I believe was given to us as a gift by the aunt and uncle who were the parents of the kids who had to play Mormonopoly and The Iron Rod Game. If I recall correctly, we played it once during FHE and it totally sucked, so we never played it again.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 03:44AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2019 03:45AM by scmd1.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 10:24AM

I found a pair of Joseph Smith & Brigham Young bookends at a DI years ago. Heavy plaster face sculptures probably weighed five pounds each. One was Joseph Smith, the other was Brigham Young.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 07:19PM

I remember when those bookends came up for sale at Deseret Book, and I still laugh at them as the funniest gift, ever!

Posted by: kingherodcosell ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 11:59AM

Remember the Milton Bradley board game “Mystery Date”. Could change to Joseph Smith’s Mystery Wife.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.