Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: khark ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 02:14PM

Hi all -

It has been a while since I posted something. I have obviously moved on though I read posts here from time to time. I had a surprise visit from the missionaries yesterday, a first in seven years. The episode, from an elder trying to say hi and me closing the door on them, lasted about ten seconds. However, I know some of the local leaders because my DW is still active so I reached out and discussed my distaste for disrespecting my choices and beliefs. What was surprising to me was that my name was not removed from the church despite having requested one and having affirmation through an official letter from them. Is this still possible? Church keeping you on the rolls and continue to harass you despite saying that you are no longer member of the church? I should frame my resignation letter along with a "break glass when needed" box with CES letter book inside next to the door. I want to see how it works out the next time and if it will take less than ten seconds for them to run away.

Cheers,

K

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 02:29PM

than I ever did before I resigned. I've lived in the same place in Utah for 33 years. Resigning doesn't mean they'll quit bothering you. You are someone they need to save. Everyone is an equal opportunity project.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 09:20PM

I wonder why they bother sending missionaries to Utah addresses? Surely everybody in Utah is either a member or has very good reasons for not being one. I suppose they are looking to reactivate people rather than find new converts.

Date: September 15, 2019 11:27PM

There are a lot of missionaries in Utah. I live in a small town in Cache Valley and we have a set of missionaries here in this town. I had one set of missionaries come before I resigned. Since then, 3 sets, and that doesn't count the set I ran into when walking my dogs. It was during church and they stopped me and asked me if I went to another ward. I told them I had resigned. They have nothing to do (per my daughter) and they said they'd do anything for me, painting, yard work, etc., and they wouldn't bring up religion. They were pretty much begging.

The sister missionaries who came to my door used to hang out at the local convenience store and ask people if they could do something for them.

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 02:42PM

Since DW is still active, her ward and the missionaries will still try to contact you. Your name has probably been removed from the official rolls, but they still know your wife has a husband.

The field is ripe and ready to harvest, you know. They can't pass up a potential priesthood holder. Your wife might need to tell them to back off, if they'll listen to her.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 03:11PM

They are coming ...... for your wallet !

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 03:14PM

Yeah, they'll come unless you make them not want to.

Invite them in, chit chat, slowly weasel into asking uncomfortable questions, like is polygamy coming back, how young of girls can you have, etc.

Or ask what exactly they will like about the CK.

Or what revelations have they gotten from their prophet which wouldn't be possible for anyone else.

Or ask how their performance numbers are doing for their mission.

And on and on...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 03:17PM

And don't forget to ask them if they would kill you if the profit ordered them to.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 07:31PM

I would call the Member Records department in SLC to confirm your status. If you are indeed resigned, then forward a copy of your confirmation letter to all parties (the bishop, stake president, and mission president.) Explain that your wife is a member but you are not, and that you wish to be (and have the right to be) left alone per court precedent. (Church members will still pay periodic calls on your wife.)

Member Records: 1-800-453-3860 ext. 22053

Complete information on how to resign:

https://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Good luck, and do give us an update.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 08:22PM

What's to stop the missionaries from believing that every non-member deserves the opportunity to become a mormon, and acting on that belief?

"Oh, not interested today? Well, I'll check back with you later..."

Date: September 15, 2019 11:30PM

Like I said, we are projects even more so than when we were just inactives. That gets lost in the "resigning." Since my daughter is so active in this ward, I am definitely a target. So is my husband and my son. Maybe they'll start targeting my nephew who lives here right now as he is an inactive for 20 years now.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 11:33PM

Inside every non-Mormon is a TBM fighting to get out.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 10:11AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's to stop the missionaries from believing
> that every non-member deserves the opportunity to
> become a mormon, and acting on that belief?
================================

Always courteous and kind because they've been duped and are just-doing-their-job miserable, but last time Dobby and Weasley dropped by I happened to be just then going out and was, as always, "loaded for bear" - but they caught me before donning the sports jacket.

They've not been back.

In retrospect, more effective than the mother-may-I of "resignation" - which as you can see here, isn't.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 09:43AM

khark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What was surprising to me
> was that my name was not removed from the church
> despite having requested one and having
> affirmation through an official letter from them.
> Is this still possible?
================================

It's a criminal enterprise.

Just think about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.