Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 11:23AM

For the poor and less well endowed...
https://ldsbookstore.com/3-inch-christus-statue

Mormons have officially become idol worshippers and not just in not attending their temples.

"Save 70% on a breathtaking Christus statue for your own home.
To purchase your own copy of the Christus as a 9-inch, 12-inch, or 19-inch statue for your home, check out deseretbook.com."
http://www.ldsliving.com/5-Things-You-Never-Knew-About-the-Christus-Statue/s/78222

If you get one of these idols make sure you put it in the exact middle of your home or you won't get all the blessings you deserve.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media-library/images/meme-scott-home-1270095?lang=eng

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 11:39AM

This is what Nelson gave to the pope as a gift during his Rome jaunt.

At least he didn't present Francis with a photo of himself.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 11:55AM

This is freaky weird. They really are pushing the jesus thing now, aren’t they? Personally I find this creepy and it just reeks of Cult. The other thing that used to give me the creeps was the photo of the first presidency.
I thought this was a joke, even after getting past your click-bait title (*cough*)
As if buying a statue makes your home a Christ centred home. Yeah, put it in the middle of your house and then you’re following the Profit and being a good mormon...No, wait...A good christian I mean. No, wait...A good Latter Day Saint Christian ...who belongs to the only church that is really his.
This will become a thing in Lds.inc now, I bet. People will be competing to buy the biggest statue. The bigger the statue, the more righteous you are, because then your home is “christ centred”. Bollocks.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 01:19PM

They are pushing the Jesus thing hard and steering away from “Mormon”. The church is in the process of mainstreaming. Of course it can’t do it too quickly but it’s moving in that direction slowly.

It’s already watered down the temple ceremonies. The more the church simplifies and waters itself down the more the members like it. Two hour church beats three hour church. Wearing a jumpsuit during the washing and anointing ceremony is better than being butt naked. The shorter they can make the endowment the better.

I think you will see the church cut more out of the temple ceremony. Most TBM’s I know hate the endowment ceremony. Meant aren’t fond of initiatory. Baptisms for the dead seem popular. The fonts look cool and for whatever reason kids love to get dunked in them.

The favorite ordinance in the church are sealing. Short and simple and reminds members of their own marriage.

So we will see the endowment continued to get whittled away. Initiatory will become a simple blessing with a drop of water and oil. I would imagine in the future you can just wear your temple whites.

Dealings will remain the same. One unique thing the church has to offer is being sealed for all time and eternity in a special setting. Some people love that.

Christ will become bigger in the church and Mormon and anything dealing with that will be reduced. I predict the Book of Mormon will be renamed An American Testament of Christ with a huge emphasis to read 3 Nephi over the other parts of the book.

Maybe the Book of Abraham will slowly disappear and less emphasis on church history and the D&C. The church has already reduced the image of Brigham Young and The Journal of Discourses.

Russell M Nelson even said the restoration is an ongoing process which basically means,”I can change things.” The members seem to live the changes. Russ is focusing the church on JESUS and taking the focus off everything else.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 02:00PM

"Brethren, I woke up last night, sent Wendy downstairs to do some bullshit genealogy work, grabbed my lighted pen and wrote this down: 'Jesus Christ'. I think it's a revelation, but I can't quite put my skilled surgeon's finger on it."

One of the 15: "I don't know what that means either; but let's call the marketing department and see if they can do something with it."

Date: September 13, 2019 02:33PM

“..sent Wendy downstairs to do some bullshit genealogy work”

LOL

Marketing department are all over the so called revelations.
I often think of the Morg as a giant factory, spewing out robots, whilst behind the scenes, higher level robots are working on the next advert to sell the next gimmick marketed as an actual product, all at the highest RRP of course.

Smoke and mirrors.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 05:01PM

What about Albert Bertel Thorvaldsen other, and equally famous statue, 'Kristus på en krykke'?

I get shivers whenever I look at Kristus på en krykke.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 05:26PM

The real estate agent representing the housing development in Draper had the right idea, when he pointed out to us that each house had a special built-in cubbyhole shelf...

"You can put your Christus here, where it will be the first thing people see when they come into your home."

The buyers I was with were non-Mormon friends of mine, new to Utah, and I could see them squirm. They decided to avoid Draper, and moved into a smaller house near the U of Utah.

My social-climbing SIL has a 19-inch Christus, and she painted the inside of the shelf "firmament blue." She has the big wooden block words words "FAMILY" on her mantle, and over the mantle a giant photo of her family dressed in denim, and there's that creepy photo of the first presidency staring out from the hallway. I haven't been in the other rooms. Every Mormon house seems to have these items (purchased at Deseret Book), plus the Malibu Jesus, which, I'm sure is hanging over someone's bed in my SIL's house.

Date: September 13, 2019 06:33PM

This is interesting; when did this become a thing?! I literally don’t remember any this from ANY mormon homes a decade ago.
The most I saw were photos of the first presidency and a picture of christ. Of course there were over the top professional family photos and all that.
But I never saw this christus thing; plus so many others you mention all together. I only saw it maybe in the temple or a big stake centre.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 08:17PM

If these Christus statues could talk the ones I'd really like to hear from would be the donated ones that show up in the collectibles showcase at church owned Deseret Industries.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 14, 2019 02:55AM

will he be accused of overcompensating? You know, like the guy who just doesn't have what it takes to get into the bishopric and is still EQ secretary at age 43?

"Seriously? It doesn't come any bigger than 19 inches? I was looking for something to use instead of a full-sized Christmas tree. Are they at least planning to come out with a 76-inch version soon?"

(The statues represent the resurrected Jesus, so you know that each statue has to be perfectly and fully endowed. So I think, if you can get an x-ray view of one of the things, you'll find that each size of statue is well equipped with a perfectly scaled endowment.)

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: September 14, 2019 06:01AM

I guess when your Sheri and you are with Dusty Rusty and Bendy Wendy you discuss how to increase revenue flow. How soon TIL we start to see these in Church buildings. After all people close to the top have friends that can see a market. Look at the market for LDS Church steeples that was created for older church buildings.
I grew up in church being told not to worship idols. Seeing one in a display is something different than seeing them everywhere.
With less time at Church and Dusty Rusty telling us to make our homes Christ Centered, image the market. Oil lamps to give you the time period feeling. Sanders like Christ used. Sand from the dead Dead Sea. Special bowels to wash your feet. The list goes on.

Date: September 16, 2019 01:30PM

Ha! The Mormon Church will become Catholic lite. The Catholics were on the extra accessories bandwagon a long time ago.

I wonder what a Mormon rosary will be and what will be a Mormon equivalent of the St. Christopher Medal? Dallin H Oaks Please Protect Us? Ha! Ha!

Date: September 16, 2019 02:27PM

I would say Mormonism is Catholic Heavy becoming lighter. Catholics introduced confessions way back when and believe rituals save.

Mormonism is taking Catholic to the next level in the ordinance dept without any of the cool mystical stuff.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: September 14, 2019 09:57AM

I hate that the church has appropriated this Danish statue. I know so many TBMs from Utah who think it is the visitor's center statue and have no idea that it is a copy of a work located in a Cathedral in Copenhagen belonging to the Church of Denmark, a Lutheran denomination.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 14, 2019 10:27AM

Remember back when every other car had a St. Christopher statue on the dashboard? Mormons are going to have this Christus doo dad everywhere.

Coming soon:
3 inch Christus key fobs
Christus lanyards
Christus jewelry
Christus bobbing head dashboard statue with adhesive base

Date: September 16, 2019 11:43AM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 01:08PM

LOL! There are no limits apparently.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 01:20PM

:(

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 14, 2019 03:06PM

Someone broke into deseret bookstore in the middle of the night and broke the hands off those statues. It's just what I heard.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 14, 2019 03:42PM

What if they were to FOLLOW the life-example of Christ (or Buddha or Mohammad) instead of making $ from statues?

What if they reverted to Honesty, Kindness, Respect for all, Caring & Compassion, empathy.

sad is how I feel.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 14, 2019 04:36PM

* It kind of makes me think of the Jesus art in the chapels.

* SEcular Priest: Footwashing bowls? Very small market for that--it's only used in the 2nd Annointing, I gather. But you're onto something--there may be an increase in the marketing of LDS kitsch. Surrounding oneself with religious paraphernalia, memes, doo-dads, etc. gives a person a feeling of spirituality, without taking it seriously and sacrificially. (Tip o' the hat to Dagny, above.)

*GNPE, let's leave Mohammed out of this. He was a pedophiliac polygamist, and a blood-thirsty warrior merchant. (BY on steroids.) At least he practiced what he preached!

* Wally Prince: "...you'll find that each size of statue is well equipped with a perfectly scaled endowment..." Hoo-hah! winnah, winnah, chicken dinnah!

*It may be my Christian Science background, but I'm a staunch iconoclast. I don't believe in smashing other people's idols (or kitsch), but I don't want them in my life--or my simple Baptist church.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 01:25PM

I'd just like to propose Elder Berry for the 2019 RfM Prize For Best Thread Titles. What with the "All my holes are still functional" thread and then this one (and I may have missed some), it's a shoo-in.

Respect!

I also have a question to stay vaguely on topic;-)

What's with the false Latin of "Christus"? To me, it smells very strongly of the sort of fraud so evident in the BoM's false King James' Version English. Authority through archaicism, or something like that. A major red light, IMO.

Also, isn't this sailing a bit close to worshipping graven images? The former protestant in me writhes.

Tom in Paris :-D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2019 01:31PM by Soft Machine.

Date: September 16, 2019 01:36PM

Christus is derived from the Greek word Christo which means oil. I guess the word oil was used to describe Jesus because he was the anointed one,

You could just put a bottle of Crisco (derived from Christo) out on display to honor Jesus “the anointed one”.

Date: September 16, 2019 05:11PM

Soft Machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Respect!

Ah, shucks!

> What's with the false Latin of "Christus"? To me,
> it smells very strongly of the sort of fraud so
> evident in the BoM's false King James' Version
> English.

Seems legit.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Christus

I wonder if Bigamus Dicamus is legit?

> Also, isn't this sailing a bit close to
> worshipping graven images?

It is. Presenting people with something external instead of such a powerful theology that nothing external is required.

Idol worship was the most powerful when people thought the object of worship was even more than representative. There really was some essence of a god in their idol.

The religions who replaced idol worship required adherents to be one in "heart, mind, and spirit" with their gods. These I think were places where either the soul or gods were known to touch people. No external objects of focus required.

CTR rings are the current rosary+cross of Mormons.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 04:27PM

Bwa-Ha-ha-Ha-ha-ha!!-Great thread! Thank you!

I sent the Lego Christus picture to all my kids.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.