Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 08:30AM

https://kutv.com/news/local/lds-church-clarifies-word-of-wisdom-on-vaping-green-tea-coffee-marijuana-opioids

What an absolute joke. Green tea is bad? Don't go into coffee shops (appearance of evil..)

The only one everyone can agree with is the vaping "revelation"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 09:45AM

. . . even when it runs counter to scientific evidence.

But hey, cheer up, cleaning (church) toilets on your Saturdays is so bad it's Good ;-D

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 10:13AM

Nothing like the church treating its members like kids. "If you are in a coffee shop the drinks probably contain coffee". This statement is ignorant beyond belief.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 02:43PM

I abstain from alcohol (for non-religious reasons), but go into liquor-dispensing establishments. Sometimes because the purpose is a meal, or to watch a game on a big screen, or to socialize. I have managed to do this for decades now, without consuming a drop of alcohol!

I drink mineral water, soda, and sometimes (gasp!) HEATED BEVERAGES!!

I've even been with cases of beer (purchased for family) in my shopping cart at a warehouse store.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 02:29PM

Definition of sin: Anything that brings you pleasure.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 03:28PM

make sure she drinks more hot chocolate, because she does drink it all the time.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 03:28PM

I am having fun with their learned stupidity.

"The word mormon isn’t always in the name of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. So, before you try what you think is just some new religious belief, here are a couple of rules of thumb: (1) If you’re in a church (or any other gathering that’s well-known for its missionaries), the drivel you’re hearing about probably has mormon in it, so either never listen to discussions with missionaries at your house or always ask if there’s mormon in it. (2) Religions with names that include Nephi or Lehi, Moroni, Laban, Lemuel, or any people using a middle initial as part of their name have mormon in them and are against intelligence."

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 26, 2019 03:58AM

Mormonism has NO wisdom in it's hollow words.

https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Word_of_Wisdom/Cola_drinks_and_caffeine

https://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/02/coffee-substitutes-caffeine-free-alternatives-postum-chicory-orzo.html

http://www.ldsliving.com/SPONSORED-Dandy-Blend-provides-a-perfect-replacement-for-Postum-and-coffee/s/70395 October 6, 2012

Washington Post
Salt Lake Tribune, 2012

It’s Official: Coke and Pepsi are OK for Mormons
By Peggy Fletcher Stack| Religion News ServiceAugust 31, 2012
SALT LAKE CITY — Maybe now, reporters, bloggers, outsiders and even many Mormons will accept that the Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not forbid drinking cola.

On Wednesday (Aug. 29 [2012]), the LDS church posted a statement on its website saying that “the church does not prohibit the use of caffeine” and that the faith’s health-code reference to “hot drinks” ‘’does not go beyond (tea and coffee).”

A day later, the website wording was slightly softened, saying only that “the church revelation spelling out health practices ... does not mention the use of caffeine.”

The same goes for the church’s two-volume handbook, which LDS leaders use to guide their congregations. It says plainly that “the only official interpretation of’hot drinks’ ... in the Word of Wisdom is the statement made by early church leaders that the term’hot drinks’ means tea and coffee.”

That blog post was later tweaked, according to church spokesman Scott Trotter, “to clarify its intent, which was to provide context to the NBC piece.”

Part of the confusion stems from LDS church-owned Brigham Young University, which neither sells nor serves caffeinated drinks. But BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins explains that is “not a university or church decision, but made by dining services, based on what our customers want.”

http://www.mormonism101.com/2015/02/the-word-of-wisdom.html?m=1
Hot drinks, by the way, referred to a drink’s temperature, not a particular kind of drink. This stemmed from the prevailing medical opinion that sickness and health were determined by the level of excitement of one's "constitution". Hot food and drinks [except HERBAL TEA, HOT CHOCOLATE, Postum, and other MORMIN HOT DRINKS] were thought to be too stimulating.

Mormons wouldn't know stimulation from stagnation.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 26, 2019 04:12AM

No mention of caffeine.

No mention of cola drinks, or caffeinated soda, or caffeinated sports drinks. They only cold drink they mention is iced tea.

So--IS Coke and Pepsi against the WOW, or not?

Answer______?

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: September 26, 2019 01:10PM

At our neighborhood street Christmas party, our TBM neighbors were so excited because they are "allowed" to drink Coke now! I don't know why they thought they couldn't drink it before, because Tommy Monson's favorite little beverage was Pepsi. Oh, that's it! Pepsi: yes, Coke: no.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 26, 2019 01:38PM

With all the infantilization of the adult members of the church, I'm surprised that anyone in the church can make their own decisions. I think that's why some members feel compelled to leave the church; they feel suffocated and claustrophobic.

As far as "avoiding the very appearance of evil," that means something that Mormon church have shifted into overdrive and taken on the road. But my experience is sort of the opposite. There used to be an Italian restaurant in Orem that was Mormon-owned, but they kept bottles of Sutter Home alcohol-free wine on the menu, so that you could sort of have the feeling of sophistication of having good Italian food with red or white wine. As far as Starbucks goes, my LDS family members like to pretend that they order Starbucks like everyone else. So in an attempt to look "normal" (good luck with that, Mormons), they buy hot chocolate or so-called "steamers" at Starbucks, and drink them on the way to work. (I'm given to understand that a "steamer" is steamed milk with one of those flavor shots from one of those syrup bottles.)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 26, 2019 01:42PM

This kind of stuff always makes me laugh as I remember my mother asking if I knew where she could get some green tea capsules as she read how good it was for you. Couldn't help but ask, "Why don't you just drink some?"

"Oh. I could NEVER do that!"

Geeez. Mormons are so ridiculous. Their big goal being a sheep.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.