Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 07:09AM

Henry wrote:

“So, now we find people who have forgotten all of this and have allowed materialist scientism to pervade their thinking. Instead of humanistic "free-thinking" they have embraced determinism, a doctrine that by definition undermines human choices and values. Oh, and when someone points out the inconsistency of such a view, they blame "Philosophy" a subject they know nothing about.”

Determinism has other explanations than just scientific materialism. For example, Leibniz’s metaphysics where anything that happens is the best thing that could have happened. If you booze it up and wake up with a huge hangover, you might beg to differ. But how would you know?

“Such is an over-reaction. It is a fear that somehow a religious "soul" might find its way back into one's worldview. So, rather than allow that to happen, they embrace the most extreme scientism one can imagine; i.e that there is no free will after all; that we only "think" we have free will; and that free will is an illusion. All this presumably to keep religion at bay!”

Bill Hicks had a bit for this: It’s all just a ride. If the best possible thing is going to happen, free will has to be an illusion. I don’t think divine perfection fits the definition of scientism.

“And, when I point out in no uncertain terms, with logic and rational argument, how nihilistic such a view is, they dismiss it without argument, in much the same way Mormon's dismiss the rational arguments that challenge their favored worldview. And they don't notice what's happening. They think they are being rational; just like our Mormon friends. But, like them, they have NO arguments.”

I must have missed where you laid out an argument as to why determinism is nihilistic. You’ve admitted that we don’t know where our thoughts come from. There’s a stream of consciousness that we seem to steer, but how do we know who is really doing the steering? Are we directing the movie or watching it?

Existence wouldn’t start without an end in mind. The fact that we are (when we really shouldn’t) points to a reality underpinned by Platonic values. If the end is perfect, whatever leads to the end can’t be nihilistic and is more likely perfect. Even nihilists themselves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 09:24AM

The debate is much older than the idea of scientific materialism.

The Greeks had their arguments, as did the Romans. The Middle Ages were bedeviled by this inheritance and how it fits with Jewish ideas and the “revealed word.” The Persians and Arabs had their ideas. The question is an old one, clothed more generally as Fate v. Free Will. RfM won’t be solving it any time soon.

What’s interesting about that last thread, a thread about how the most championed piece of science against free will, the Libet studies, has been shown to NOT demonstrate what its champions claimed it demonstrated, is how a few hard core believers in determinism simply ignored this new bit of science and went straight into their beliefs. The ignored the science that undercut their belief and then doubled-down on their beliefs.

I’m all for beliefs and the declaration of beliefs. But on this topic, for now, believers in determinism cannot claim any “science says...” arguments. With the Libet studies “debunked”, as the original OP has it, there isn’t any strong scientific argument against free will. If there is, believers in determinism should present it.

Without a scientific argument, believers in determinism will need to use philosophy to make their case.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 10:54AM

I personally didn't think the Libet study was convincing any more than explanations why someone with Turret's Syndrome swear against their will. There have been other scientific discussions about how we make choices (link to one below) but I don't think they are convincing either way for this topic overall.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/what-neuroscience-says-about-free-will/

Like with other scientific endeavors that weren't solved with one experiment, maybe they will design more experiments. I'm not hopeful we will make any more progress any time soon.

If philosophy is the "proof" either way, that doesn't mean the default should be to accept it. It's the same situation as science trying to prove a god. The default for some is, "Science can't prove it and I have philosophers who present arguments that a god should exist, so therefore I have proof."

I don't know why being agnostic on these types of topics is so unreasonable.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 12:18PM

I personally didn't think the Libet study was convincing any more than explanations why someone with Turret's Syndrome swear against their will. There have been other scientific discussions about how we make choices (link to one below) but I don't think they are convincing either way for this topic overall.

COMMENT: Well, there is no question that the will is a delicate thing to study psychologically, and arguably intractable to such explanations. I read your link, but did not find it helpful. Perhaps the main study fleshes out more detail, but the point is that if all feelings of will must necessarily be explained solely by rote brain processes alone (even if a "trick"), such will cannot possible be "free"; it cannot possibly be a case of mental causation. After all the brain is a physical system, and even if the brain performs some trick, you will not get free will out of it, but only the feeling of free will.

Like with other scientific endeavors that weren't solved with one experiment, maybe they will design more experiments. I'm not hopeful we will make any more progress any time soon.

COMMENT: Me neither. But that is not an excuse to ignore facts, and adhere to false theories. Mental causation is a fact! So, whatever theory might be forthcoming it will need to accommodate that fact, and not sweep it under the rug because it is inconvenient to the existing scientific worldview.

If philosophy is the "proof" either way, that doesn't mean the default should be to accept it. It's the same situation as science trying to prove a god. The default for some is, "Science can't prove it and I have philosophers who present arguments that a god should exist, so therefore I have proof."

COMMENT: It is a mistake to attribute this to nothing more than a philosophical dispute. There are facts to consider within such a context. Again, the most important fact is mental causation, which of itself undermines the deterministic worldview. And all the deterministic philosophy out there --which is a lot--cannot change that fact; Just as all of the free will philosophy out there -- which is also a lot--cannot change the facts established by Newtonian science. But we already know that Newtonian science is incomplete; and we already know that quantum mechanic's is also likely incomplete, and at least suggests a role for consciousness and free will. So, why neuroscientists and psychologists keep insisting upon Crick's astonishing hypothesis is beyond me.

I don't know why being agnostic on these types of topics is so unreasonable.

COMMENT: What is unreasonable in my opinion is NOT that you are waiting for science to clarify things; so am I. It is adhering to a default position that not only dismisses the science of mental causation, but more importantly, dismisses human values. Because, you cannot have such values in their barest form if you believe that everything you think and do is based upon a long chain of physical causes of which "you" have absolutely no control or influence. Now someone might insist that the brain is a physical system, but that the mind, consciousness, and free will are just "emergent" properties of the brain. Fine. That is O.K. with me, even if rather magical as an explanation. You do not have to assume some sort of theological, immortal, soul as a necessary accommodation for free will. But free will has to come from somewhere: It has to be part of reality at this point. And frankly, it seems to me that we should be rather relieved that it is, rather than be fighting against it.

Date: September 25, 2019 11:50AM

I think a few things need to be clarified here, Human:

"What’s interesting about that last thread, a thread about how the most championed piece of science against free will, the Libet studies, has been shown to NOT demonstrate what its champions claimed it demonstrated, is how a few hard core believers in determinism simply ignored this new bit of science and went straight into their beliefs. The ignored the science that undercut their belief and then doubled-down on their beliefs."

COMMENT: Although the Libet studies were debunked, thus removing such studies as the source of any scientific argument for determinism, the assumption that scientific determinism depended solely upon such studies, and that what is left is only philosophy, is not correct in my view.

Scientific determinism is established by Newtonian physics, which is a rather powerful starting point for a deterministic view of the universe. Even coupled with Einstein's relativity and Quantum mechanics, the assumption that determinism rules the macro physical world is extremely well-established scientifically by experiments solidifying Newtonian mechanics.

The problem arises when science fails to take into consideration the scientific fact of mental causation, which has been scientifically established by a number of studies (not to mention common sense) demonstrating that the mind and human will can act upon the brain to change its physical dynamics. Such studies effectively destroy the Newtonian deterministic assumption because they cannot be explained within the Newtonian deterministic paradigm. In other words, they demonstrate that determinism if false! In short, free will seems to now be a scientific reality, leaving science to pursue new theories to accommodate it. (And consciousness itself, of course.) Yet, rather than pursue such theories, science buries its head in the sand, like a child, insisting it cannot be so.

I’m all for beliefs and the declaration of beliefs. But on this topic, for now, believers in determinism cannot claim any “science says...” arguments. With the Libet studies “debunked”, as the original OP has it, there isn’t any strong scientific argument against free will. If there is, believers in determinism should present it.

COMMENT: Again, the evidence of Newtonian physics did not disappear simply by the debunking of the Libet studies. As such, within the scientific paradigm there is a "strong" argument against free will, but not one that can accommodate the facts of mental causation. (Not to mention the role of free will as associated with interpretations of quantum physics.)

Without a scientific argument, believers in determinism will need to use philosophy to make their case.

COMMENT: I don't think this is right. What scientists do in cleaving to their deterministic world view is not turn to philosophy, they insist that reality be confined to the narrow parameters of known physical laws and theories. As I pointed out in the other post, this insistence is within a context where consciousness and free will are necessary to the very scientific theories that deny or dismiss. After all, scientists must chose their vocation, their focus of study, their experiments, their theories, etc. etc. And when they get the Nobel prize they take the credit as if "they" had something to do with the achievement.

Date: September 25, 2019 12:32PM

The Libet studies were presented by many as the best scientific case against free will. With those studies undercut, what now is the best scientific case against free will?

Those who believe in determinism should make the best scientific case, if there is one. Sans that, we’re talking philosophy.

That’s all I said, or at least meant.

Date: September 25, 2019 01:36PM

The Libet studies were presented by many as the best scientific case against free will. With those studies undercut, what now is the best scientific case against free will?

COMMENT: I think it is more accurate to say that the Libet studies were considered more as "another nail in the coffin" of free will, rather than the single scientific argument against free will. The best scientific case against free will remains all of the experiential data of Newtonian physics, which is obviously substantial. All such evidence confirms that causation is based upon Newton's three laws of motion and gravity. With Maxell, these laws were found to also be operative in both Faraday's experiments, and Maxwell's equations. So, there is a substantial body of scientific evidence that confirms determinism. Leonard Susskind, the eminent physicist from Stanford, stated it this way:

"In classical physics, if you know everything about a system at some instant of time, and you also know the equations that govern how the system changes, then you can predict the future. That's what we mean when we say that the classical laws of physics are deterministic. . . The rules that dynamical laws must be deterministic and reversible is so central to classical physics that we sometimes forget to mention it when teaching the subject."

This is not an observation in philosophy, but the conclusion of experimental physics.

Those who believe in determinism should make the best scientific case, if there is one. Sans that, we’re talking philosophy.

COMMENT: I think it is fair to say that for either side of this debate, the best scientific case is important and helpful, so long as the data that is being considered is not restricted to whatever supports one's prior position or favored theory. Certainly, in science, human experience counts as data, as does mental facts as established by psychology and cognitive science. In the present case, such facts undermine if not outright falsify determinism as a worldview. As such, I don't care how much of Newtonian physics suggests determinism. What we learn is simply that Newtonian physics is false or incomplete as a description of reality. But the underlying experimental data that supports Newtonian physics is still evidence.

Finally, the role of philosophy is to frame the issues of the debate and provide logical structure; the most fundamental of which role is in establishing the fact that free will and determinism are logically incompatible, and that compatibilist arguments do not work.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 01:43PM

" They ain't no such thing as free!!!!!"
Our right to choose ALWAYS preceeds consequences of the action taken.
The freedom is in the right to choose,not to be confused with the consequence of the behavior!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 12:46PM

"Existence wouldn’t start without an end in mind."

Whose mind? Gods?

Nihilism isn't the only option. Why people think that Nietzsche only knows.

Free will isn't free but expensive when you are using it to try and buck your genetic predispositions, learned behaviors, habits, and inclinations.

Try freeing yourself from them as an experiment in free will.

Date: September 25, 2019 12:53PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Free will isn't free but expensive when you are
> using it to try and buck your genetic
> predispositions, learned behaviors, habits, and
> inclinations.
>
> Try freeing yourself from them as an experiment in
> free will.

That is precisely what every athlete strives to do. And to boot, they use faith to do it.

Date: September 25, 2019 12:55PM

Then we should call free will faith. It makes more sense to me.

Date: September 25, 2019 01:02PM

Since people, not just athletes, commonly *do* consciously overcome their “genetic predispositions, learned behaviors, habits, and inclinations,” all the time, does that mean faith is real but free will is not?

Date: September 25, 2019 01:06PM

I think our bicameral minds have depth we plumb less when faced with rationality. We consciously self determine with self-imposed limitations.

I don't think we can even argue for our own free will if it is untested. I believe it doesn't exist but I don't know.

Overcoming conscious limitations with faith seems a poor way to prove free will exists.

Date: September 25, 2019 01:14PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Overcoming conscious limitations with faith seems
> a poor way to prove free will exists.

Yet free will is implicit in the very term “overcoming”.

Date: September 25, 2019 01:32PM

True. But we don't know what it is we are over coming. Have we determined what human potential is? Do we know that a person who overcomes a limitation in themselves is someone really overcoming their self?

Take a learned food aversion. Just because when we are starving we can eat the food aversion are we using our free will?

An person is told they will never walk again by a panel of experts and using their faith they do? Does that prove free will? I know people who think it proves God. And they might be right if how they access unconscious areas of their mind uses a God Key.

We haven't mapped out the mind as it emerges from the brain. We can only use consciousness and language to do so. So do we buy free will based upon these things only?

Date: September 25, 2019 01:09PM

Faith is a way to plumb the depths we can't consciously plumb.

Date: September 25, 2019 01:44PM

It seems to me that "faith" in this context is just the inner confidence that if we apply our will to a problem, we can affect the outcome; i.e. we are not just passive observers of deterministic events. Such faith often comes from experience. It is not religious faith. And the idea is not helped by scientists who insist that free will is an illusion. If that is the case, why apply the will at all to our problems?

Date: September 25, 2019 07:09PM

I was using it in the second definition.

faith/fāTH/
noun

1. complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
2. strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

An appeal to something outside ones self with belief in spiritual apprehension.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 05:37PM

babyloncansuckit, your final paragraph has my head spinning because it seems like a statement of faith rather than logic. It's fine as the former, but not as the latter.

To wit:

-------------
> Existence wouldn’t start without an end in mind.

Why? There are many things that start without an end in mind for the simple reason that they have no "mind," no conscious intent. What is the end in the "mind" of a virus when it unwittingly enters a cell and begins to reproduce. What is the "mind" of a particle of matter when it randomly disengages from a particle of anti-matter and thereby comes into existence in our materialistic universe? How about when that particle randomly disappears as a result of a chance encounter with its converse? What is in the mind of a seed when it falls from plant and hits the ground? Was there a decision there, either in the seed or the plant? Or did it happen as the result of random natural processes? I see no reason to think that the existence of most things has any relation to "mind" or "purpose."

--------------------
> The fact that we are (when we really shouldn’t). . .

Let's take that clause first. Does it make sense? Can you demonstrate why "we really shouldn't" exist? Of those things that exist, which ones should and which ones shouldn't exist? What principles enable us to differentiate between the two categories?

-------------------
> The fact that we are (when we really shouldn’t)
> points to a reality underpinned by Platonic
> values.

Why Platonic values? Where are the Platonic ideals? If they include male and female, how do the explain intersex people? How do they describe the evolution of one form of life into another, with all the intermediate steps in between? Or are there an infinite number of Platonic ideals such that anything that happens on earth, no matter how bizarre or destructive, still fits yous scenario? If so, doesn't Platonism lose all meaning?

What, by contrast, is wrong with Aristotle and his celebration of the unique, the unplanned, the idiosyncratic? I just don't see why you are leaping to one of many different philosophical schemes without explaining why it is the preferable description of nature.

----------------
> If the end is perfect,

Why should we believe "the end is perfect?" I can understand how you might see that as following from Platonic thought, but you've provided no logical basis for that philosophy nor any explanation for the infinite number of violations of Platonic ideals. So what is the basis for your assertion that "the end is perfect?"

------------------
> . . . whatever leads to
> the end can’t be nihilistic and is more likely
> perfect. Even nihilists themselves.

Voltaire could have written that. Everything that happens happens for a reason; it represents the optimal possible outcome in this "best of all possible worlds." But Voltaire's purpose was to ridicule what he saw as an effectively deterministic, fatalistic worldview that provided no standards by which to judge either moral or empirical reality.

Voltaire's point is that a lot of things have no Platonic models; Plato argued that most things fail to meet the Platonic ideal, so he's closer to Aristotle than to your teleological assertion that everything that occurs was supposed to occur. Even Plato reckoned that lots, if not most, of what happens around us was never "intended" to be. There was no "mind," no "thinker," no creator "with an end in mind."

So I think you philosophy rests solely on faith. The evidence does not support a reality informed by purpose, by "ends," nor have you offered logical argument either in support of Platonic thought or your supercharged version thereof, according to which even things that Plato considered "mistakes" are "more likely perfect."

Date: September 29, 2019 11:30PM

So that's what you meant when you threatened me with ALL CAPS!

I do, however, like the beard.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 30, 2019 12:20AM

All caps is the ultimate argument that nobody can refute !

Date: September 30, 2019 12:57AM

Saying something in all caps is indeed an irrefutable argumentative technique. But if it is combined with the proper incantation, the effect is nearly fatal. Thus

YOUR ARGUMENT IS FALSE, YOU CULTURAL MARXIST!

Few humans can survive an assault like that although your atheistic heart is probably so hardened that you regain consciousness in a day or two. In general, however, don't try that at home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2019 12:58AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 30, 2019 03:31AM

who feels like he's outgrown the nickname "Willy".

Date: September 30, 2019 04:04AM

Free Willy. I thought that was an old porno flick.

Or was that Free Wally?

Date: September 30, 2019 12:33PM

Well, now we know what Wally looks like!

Date: September 30, 2019 12:35PM

Date: September 30, 2019 02:20PM

Hey, keep your pornography to yourself!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 30, 2019 02:26PM

...but my fins are much bigger than those pathetic creatures have and my iridescent scales are so dazzling that I used to be able to earn money part-time as a disco ball on Saturday nights.

Date: September 30, 2019 02:29PM

. . . short-finned vulgarian. . .

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 30, 2019 02:59PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.