Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Daphne ( )
Date: October 05, 2019 03:43PM

Jay Fulmer aka James H Fulmer, is teaching a class in drawing through U of Wisconsin extension. Apparently he designed some Mormon board games like Book of Mormon Battles and other items. He is knowledgeable, but seems limited to a certain cartoonish style or overly steroidal men. Does anyone know about him?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 05, 2019 06:19PM

He is listed as being a CES director/coordinator. I'm guessing that art is his sideline.

I'm underwhelmed by his art. I spent four years in college drawing and painting nudes and his human figures look out of proportion to me. He does have some skill in shading and modeling figures. Overall, I find his art cloying and trite.

Having said that, he might be able to teach some beginning to intermediate skills in drawing and painting or in illustration. IMO his art is best suited to game design where a certain level of cheesiness is expected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 06:20PM by summer.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: October 05, 2019 08:41PM

Be very careful around him. If he is a real mormon it is doubtful he will come up with anything creative on his own. So many of them claim to be "artists" yet all they do is rip off the work of others. (anyone think "I spy a Nephite" here?)

Instead of using the work of others for inspiration and ideas too many just rip off and copy.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 08:38PM

Not completely fair. Don Bluth was a mormon. It is possible to be a great artist without studying nudes. Still, working with nudes does help...

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 05, 2019 10:57PM

Daphne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> overly steroidal men. Does
> anyone know about him?

I don't know anything about him. But if he's drawing characters who look like they just came out of a body-builders convention...and their heads look really small in proportion to their massive arms and chests...

...It's probably just that he wants to emulate Arnold Friberg. Or it could be that Friberg's spirit has possessed him.

I was hoping that another artist would come in this generation to do what Friberg did for our generation...namely, make the Book of Mormon characters come to life on canvas...as Chippendale dancers in campy Roman-ish/Greek-ish costumes.

Posted by: Daphne ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 08:33PM

Thanks everybody for your replies. My friend and I tried his “sample” class and that, along with his website, were a big turnoff. He was very trite and the class had a drawing off a matchbook tone - way too cute. I am only a talented amateur, but could get better teaching from a quality drawing book.

One sign of his limited Mormon view was that he sent emails to all from “Brother Fullmer.” Remember, this was a secular class from a public university. Someone asked him about that and he said it was a title from his church. I wish I would have asked him if he attended an African American church, because they use brother and sister in church, not outside.

Also, his female figures are hypersexualized or cloyingly pure. He leads a Sons of Hellaman group which I think is a dissonance with his art. You all are probably not surprised.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.