Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 27, 2019 02:55PM

Really, should I?

Back story: At our previous location, the missionaries would purposely come by on a cold night, ostensibly to offer help or "give [us] a message." They never seemed to have eaten, so I'd warm them up with something, and tell them I wasn't interested in the message, but also told them that I had been on a mission myself, and knew what it was like at that time of night on a cold evening.

Anyway, the missionaries always expressed a desire to help with stuff. I never took them up on it, fearing their inevitable need to "leave a message," or even worse, a prayer. At this new location, they have apparently told active TBM DW that they could come offer me a hand with my house renovation. I could have used someone's help many times, especially when lifting drywall panels. But I always wonder how it would work out, and if it was all a ruse to somehow get me back. Also, I fear getting a couple who aren't prepared to get dirty. More seriously, I wonder if one of them were to get hurt (as has happened to me numerous times), would the church file a claim on my home owners' insurance? Or would I have to argue on their behalf for treatment at the ER, or would they be covered?

I'm not desperate, but am curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 27, 2019 07:54PM

Most homeowners insurance will pay medical bills for guests injured on your property, without reference to “fault”. Check with your insurance agent, and ask on what page of the policy it says this, if he says you’re covered. And ask if there’s a dollar amount, which when exceeded, increases the cost of your coverage.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 27, 2019 08:01PM

Remember they are unskilled teens with an agenda.

Will the church come after you with a vengance if one gets hurt? Absofrickinglutey.

Posted by: Allstate ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 02:31PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Will the church come after you with a vengance if
> one gets hurt? Absofrickinglutey.

And you base your answer on what documented evidence?

Quite frankly, I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: October 29, 2019 12:40AM

TSCC may or may not sue, but the hurt missionary could certainly win a lawsuit if the homeowner was found to be negligent causing harm or endangerment.

It is wise to always consider potential liability before inviting anyone on to your property for any reason.

Date: October 29, 2019 03:33PM

Are we not all seeking to be the Reasonable Man?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 27, 2019 08:20PM

Do they have experience changing wax rings ?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 27, 2019 10:38PM

Ha! Yeah, during my renovation I need the extra toilet, but keep having to install it and take it back out over and over. A lot of scraping off the wax rings. Let's see if they're humble enough.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 12:32AM

due to general liability of what could be classed as a business invitee I always decline.

One solution could be having anyone who works on you property sign an indemnify and hold harmless agreement.

Date: October 28, 2019 10:30AM

If they offer to help invite them to wash your car.
Watch their reaction.
If they do it take them to the best restaraunt available and buy them any meal they want.
If they don't, then their offer,like everything else they offer,is fake.

Date: October 29, 2019 03:28PM

I like this! Slap an 'I was liked' sticker on your forehead!

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 03:01PM

When I feed the missionaries, they often ask me if there is anything they can do for me. I've always thanked them and said no, except for one time I asked them to help move a couple of pieces of furniture for me that were too heavy and cumbersome for me to move myself.

From time to time, though, the missionaries have given me details about the "service projects" they've done for members, non-members, and investigators. Some of these service projects have involved heavy, dirty labor, and I've sometimes seen them right after they've finished such a project, still wearing their work clothes.

A couple of examples of service projects they told me about: A member owned chickens and had the missionaries come over and help him slaughter them. Another time, the Elders told me they were asked by an investigator to help remove the remains of an old shack on her property. One of the Elders had a nail go through his shoe into his foot. He said he contacted the mission president's wife who he said handles "medical issues" that come up for the missionaries. As I recall, he said that she arranged for him to get a tetanus shot.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 03:25PM

There was a great family that always fed us (my companion and I on Tuesdays). The food was so great that other missionaries wanted to invite themselves and poach our lunch date. As with new missionaries, the first prank we liked to play on the greenies (newly arrivals) was to volunteer them to wash the dishes. Since this was in Spanish, the greenie would often say "si" to anything being asked, no matter how silly or ridiculous.

So after they realize that they agreed to wash the dishes, it's apparent that they have few living skills. One was using a sponge without soap and the other had no idea how to properly dry a plate with a dish towel. The no soap guy argued that this was how he washed the dishes all the time and the other guy was so clumsy and dropped two plates. We had to intervene and do it right (and my companion went out and bought a set of new plates before he went home). It was a good way to save face.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 03:42PM

offer them some herbal tea and/or meatless burgers.

as them if the WoW has given them any 'Strength in sinews' lately; can they run & not be weary?

Posted by: bspcnot ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 04:17PM

if you are male, and they are sister missionaries,
tell them you are a returned missionary and available to go with them on a three-some.
don't forget to tell them they are free to stop anytime by for a drink and a ride.

Date: October 28, 2019 04:24PM

The last two time that I invited missionaries to dinner they did not have the courtesy nor manners to at least offer to help clean up. They were completely egocentric and acted as if they were owed free meals.
None have been invited since!!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 29, 2019 01:30AM

there seems to always be a price to pay even if they don't preach. I also don't like socializing with strangers. I'd personally just prefer to do it myself or get my "husband" to do it if he ever gets around to it and, if he doesn't, my boyfriend does it.

Date: October 29, 2019 12:36PM

swear

A set of elders that I knew when I was serving, had scored a big service job of sheet-rocking a room for some member. They would always brag about it the work they were doing at every district/zone meeting. The member that they were helping even bragged about the help he was getting from this set of elders during f/t meeting.

So on one of our p-days, we ended up at their apartment. On their makeshift bulletin board were all these candid photos; several had the finished work. It looked like crappy work. A bunch were crooked and cock-eyed. There were gaps all over the place. In placing one sheet, a brand new panel had a hole in it.

My companion was very blunt. "This looks like shit. Do you two even know what you're doing?" And one said No. And he asked about the hole. The elder said. "Yeah I slipped and my shoe made the hole. Brother ____ said it's no big deal. He'll install a light switch there."

If it's cheap, it'll be expensive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2019 12:37PM by messygoop.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 29, 2019 03:40PM

the home teaching couple I had was always asking me about different things around my house and they said they'd get the elders or high priests out to help me. I had SO MANY OFFERS and nobody ever did a thing.

Date: October 29, 2019 05:08PM

I would hear that phrase over and over as my Mom socialized after church. It always hinged upon a phone call that was supposed to come during the week, but never did. My Mom was so busy working outside of the home that she probably forgot her as well.

I think it was similar to my Dad asking the family that we were home teaching if there was anything that we could do for them. A few times, some yard work was requested and we returned a few days later in our grubbies and tools. About 9 out of 10 visits, offers to help were turned down.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 29, 2019 08:56PM

IMO, yes. They are usually board to death with no one to "teach".

I have an orange tree in my back yard and have asked them to help me pick the oranges--which they don't seem to mind doing, as I encourage them to take with them all the oranges they want (and to share with all the other missionary's).

As they volunteer to work at a free food-bank in my area, they also take oranges to that place. (I live in So. Calif., in L.A. County.)

Occasional their mission president won't allow this--especially now that I live alone--but, they don't come into my house, so their 'safe' from my whiles. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.