Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 09:20PM

When the released, the drawing of the Winnipeg Temple looked like the outside would be brick. I thought that was cool. Checking some pictures today on the internet I was right and wrong. Its brick all right but it brick in the form of tiles that you glue unto plywood. Everything about the temples these days seem to be false. Even the outside walls.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 11:06PM

It’s as if appearances are all that matter.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 11:30PM

I wonder if their Potemkin village will need major renovation in 10 years. Maybe they’re high maintenance by design to keep Utah contractors employed.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 10:23AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It’s as if appearances are all that matter.
Reply!!!!
In that society what it looks like is !!ALL!! that matters

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 11:11PM

Years ago, late-night TV in my area had saturation ads for "New England Brickmaster," a similar gimmick. I've always wondered how that product fared.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 12:15AM

if you don't look too closely...and until the glue/adhesive becomes brittle and the panels start to detach from the wall.

When I was a kid, I remember a new house being built near our neighborhood using real, high quality bricks (with some fancy name like "Colonial Bricks" or something produced by a company that had initially started up to supply bricks for a well-funded historical restoration project).

Their house looked spectacular and I used to earn some spending money going over there and helping them out with yard work. (It all started when they saw me gawking at their house and asked me if I wanted to earn $10 doing some work in their backyard.)

Anyhow, that was a long time ago. I recently visited the area (about 35 years had passed since the last time I was there). A lot of the homes in that area are still there. Most of the ones built using conventional wood frame/stud/plywood construction are showing their age...badly. But that brick home looks exactly the same as it did when it was brand new. The fact that the Church won't invest in that kind of construction for its new temples and is going cheap indicates to me that they aren't very optimistic about where the church is going to be 35 years from now.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 12:03AM

the highest quality materials and construction methods seems to be a good indicator of how the "Brethren" really think of the temples.

It's now a theme park (Disneyland) type of religious experience that's being rapidly expanded to as many smaller markets as possible in order to maximize ticket sales (tithing revenue) before the inevitable sharp decline of the brand value and marketability (due to changing demographics, adverse marketing conditions, etc.) of the Mormon "Temple Experience" kicks in about 10 to 15 years from now.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 12:21AM

during the day, bricks tend to absorb heat, then in the night they radiate it outwards;

this can be a real PIA during summer nights when occupants wish to cool down & sleep....

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 11:10AM

Most, if not all the homes going up around here have the stone look like what you are talking about. It is all the RAVE here. My parents' house is all brick and, like someone else said, it still looks the same as it did when it was built in 1960. My house is half brick all the way around and wood above that that I, myself, paint. The house was built in 1976 and it looks GREAT.

I am so sick of seeing homes that are beige siding. Gray comes in next. At least I've seen some new darker colors of siding. Must have found a way to deal with the sun damage.

But to put that fake stone on a temple is crazy. It would be great if they did one in brick--not like I like temples or anything, but they do look cheap when you look closely. The Logan temple looks so much more solid than the Brigham City temple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2019 11:11AM by cl2.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 11:33AM

When you first posted the name of the building in the title, I thought you'd be talking about the change really early on in the exterior siding choice.

At first, when TSCC released the rendering, the exterior was all stone, not brick. I wish we could share pics, but cannot, so if you want to see the original

https://www.google.com/search?q=winnipeg+lds+temple+original+rendering&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS852US852&sxsrf=ACYBGNR6OHOuNx6Aef8apPOaPgT0-gUjHA:1572535837134&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiR7d-_6MblAhXyOX0KHRYAD-EQ_AUIDSgA&biw=1280&bih=610&dpr=1.5

I wonder why they made this change?

If it's because that particular stone doesn't work well in freezing temps, then fine. I can't imagine it was a financial decision. They didn't save a ton of money between their brick on a wall or this did they? and if they wanted to save money, don't build the thing in the first place.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 11:50AM

They gonna just paint the plywood red and draw lines on it with a straightedge like a playhouse

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 08:19PM

Fake brick and plastic angels and oxen. The temple is like a giant Playskool toy set. What goes on inside is a glorified hokey Pokey game. Stick your right arm out and make a cupping motion with your left hand bow your head and say yes. Do the hokey pokey. That’s what it’s all about.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 08:36PM

I have been to Winnipeg in the winter, it wasn't a pleasant experience...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 08:52PM

Better be well insulated...they don't call it WINTERPEG for nuthin!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 10:17PM

I'm in Winnipeg right now, staying about half a mile from the temple.

The building exterior is mostly finished. It looks like brick, not the stone facing from the renderings. Brick is fine, but I hate the color - yellowish brown rather than reddish brown. Next to it on the same lot is what appears to be a new stake center, in completely traditional coloring and style, which makes the temple even more jarring.

The site is unusual. It is in a brand new, fairly upscale subdivision, so everything is brand spanking new. Kennaston Ave is 4/6 lanes with no grass median, except for about a 1 km stretch in the new subdivision. There there is a very wide median shaped more or less like a sweet potato. It is cut by 3 streets across, and one down the center, named Centre Street, logically enough. This creates 8 blocks. The four blocks on the ends are streamlined triangular.

The temple and stake center are on the first triangular block when headed out of the city. These two buildings occupy the entire block (it is not particularly large). The two temple block boundary streets internal to the "sweet potato" form a standard 4 street intersection. Temple in NE quadrant. Strip mall in SW quandrant, and there is a Manitoba Liquor Commission store in that strip mall. Two of the eight blocks in the median strip are commercial, to make the neighborhood more walkable and self-contained. Ok, fine, but I wonder if the LDS powers that be realized there was going to be a strip mall and liquor store with 500 feet of the temple?

Also, all the housing in the median strip the temple is in is town homes. Nice town homes, but still. Most of the housing on the outer sides of Kenaston around the sweet potato median are also townhomes. When you get a few blocks away to the west, the housing is single family detached homes.

The temple looms over Kenaston Ave. You can't miss it. I guess the Mormon leaders thought that more important than being surrounded by single family homes. But a liquor store a block away? Snicker. :)

I start back to Zion in the morning, so I won't be able to give it another look. A map app should be able to display South Kenaston for you so you can see the exact road pattern if you're interested.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 01, 2019 07:05AM

This sounds horrible. The very word 'temple' implies something precious and refined. It rather sums it all up really.

On an O/T note, by a quirk of fate, my extremely British, posh, racist grandmother was born in Winnipeg, although she scarcely lived there, so the town cannot be blamed for the horrible person she became ;-)., although she would have hated the mormon temple for its vulgarity. Her religion was G&T (gin and tonic).

Thanks Brother of Jerry (I love that moniker ;-). Have a safe journey back.

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2019 07:06AM by Soft Machine.

Date: November 02, 2019 09:42PM

I be back. All is well in Zion, yea, Zion prospereth. Except for southbound I-15 by Roy.

I went through Yellowstone about 40 hours before it closes to street vehicles. Nice to have the park mostly to myself.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 01, 2019 09:28AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 10:39AM

Posted by: Building Contractor ( )
Date: November 01, 2019 01:14PM

So, from what you're saying, it sounds like a yellow or beige sheathing layer is being installed over the (probably green) insulating layer on the exterior of the temple but that they've decided just to scrap the final brick layer?

Wow. If you're right, this building won't survive a single Manitoba winter.

What idjits!

Date: November 02, 2019 09:52PM

I didn't get a good closeup look, but my impression was that it was brick exterior. It looked to me like the brickwork was all done, and the roof shingling was underway.

I imagine the Winnipeg building inspectors kept the building on the strait and narrow. I doubt Mormons can exert much political pressure to get rules bent in Manitoba. Mennonites and Catholics are the Big Kahunas. Mormons are a page 5 footnote.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.