Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: face it ham ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 07:22PM

"prosperity gospel" is?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 07:36PM

in b 4 ~ yes OPie ~

momoism is a prosperity gospel ~

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 08:07PM

They think that god will bless the faithful with more money, so they're familiar with the concept.

Do they understand that almost all, if not all, prosperity gospels are run by con-artists trying to justify spending the flocks tithes on bigger houses and nicer cars? The ones who do tend to become ex-Mormons.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 09:57PM

ookami Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Do they understand that almost all, if not all,
> prosperity gospels are run by con-artists trying
> to justify spending the flocks tithes on bigger
> houses and nicer cars?

You mean run by people like Joseph Smith and Brigham Young?

The hard-of-thinking TBM does understand that "those prosperity gospels over there" are run by con-artists. They just can't see how the leaders of their own prosperity gospel fit the same profile...especially the founder of their faith...even though it's clear as clear can be.

JS started out running a treasure-locator scam. Got busted and then went into the "I see revelations in the same rock that I used to use for treasure hunting" religious leader/prophet scam.

Section 111 of the D&C is a "revelation" promising Joe and his buddies that they would find treasure (in the form of gold, etc.) in Salem. The Book of Mormon is all about the core message that if you obey God and his servants (i.e. guys like Joseph Smith), you will get rich and prosper, and if you stop being obedient, you will soon be ruined.

Mormonism is a "prosperity gospel" through and through. The only problem is that the promised prosperity has failed to materialize far too often, so they've had to come up with the usual qualifications, caveats, exceptions and "god moves in mysterious ways" horsesh*t to spackle and paint over the failures.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 09:46PM

Mormons are desperate to get those material blessings that they feel they've been promised.

"Oh, Gawd! Hear the words of my mouth. I has paid muh tithin' good and hard... and now I do most humbly beseech thee to open them windows o' heaven and rain down some Benjamins on me and mine. At least make this latest facial cream and essential oils multi-level marketing thing work out real good for me, so that I can retire early and serve you as a missionary or somethin' in a foreign land...preferably Tahiti."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.