Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 01:56PM

So....I've been awake for too long after fitful sleep the last few nights with all the fires, so I may be way off base, and this has been covered by the Tanner's and Sir Packham, but....

Credulity much be stretched to the limits to believe JS's ultimate "dog ate my homework" story about the 116 pages being lost and God would know about it hundreds of years in the past and yet still leave the content in the gold plates that would add a lot of weight to them while running around trying to avoid the pursuing Lamanites; why include the Large Plates at all if they were just there too add drama during the Restoration™?? And is God so powerless, and such an idiot (or such a dick) to tell JS "No" twice and then say "OK, Martin can borrow the pages."? And God couldn't stop or punish or "destroy" the "evil men" who would "alter the pages"??

Lucy Harris (smart smart smart) is said to have searched everywhere around the Smith place for the plates with no luck, so why couldn't JS invite her over to see the pages or ask God to allow her to see the plates; if she was that upset about her husband's involvement she would have made the trip.

I'm not making much sense, but not too soon from now I'm going to have the "talk" with certain family members, and the whole 116 pages fiasco is one of the major pieces of evidence that JS made the whole thing up and there were no plates, because there were no Nephites, and should be no COTPOTCOJCOLDS.

Damn, two cups of coffee and I'm still not making sense...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 02:55PM

why lucy couldn't see the plates is because she was a woman. In those days women weren't considered as reliable witnesses in court if a man was there. Women were property and not equal to men. And her testimony wouldn't hold the same weight as a man.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 01, 2019 10:24PM

Why Lucy actually couldn't see the plates is because they didn't exist. ;-) But she was probably fed a line about being a lesser wumman.

She KNEW. I wonder what she'd make of people today and what became of Matin's (dummmmb) delusion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2019 10:26PM by ptbarnum.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 01, 2019 11:33PM

Joe still got $5000 (about 150k today) out of her whack job husband.

Date: November 02, 2019 01:50PM

If my spouse came home and fervently revealed to me he'd given $150k to an alien abductee who'd been given a spacetime portal box to a new, completely habitable second Earth in return for enduring the poking and probing, I think I'd be a little interested in seeing that portal box.

Then if he told me he'd "seen" the portal box with "spiritual vision", and that I was not allowed to see it because it was super sacred, I think I'd be interested in what sort of mushrooms he'd been eating lately.

It's brilliant she tossed that early manuscript into the fire. It was an act that literally stands through history to discredit JS. A most clever (smart smart smart) way of a woman standing toe to toe with a man in that era.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 01:37PM

It’s amazing she didn’t die in a mysterious “accident”.

Date: November 05, 2019 08:18PM

Yeah. Or a "fever". So many people died of "fevers" back then.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 12:59PM

WIN !!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 01:58PM

I love the line from the South Park character - "you mean Mormons know this story, and they STILL accept the Book of Mormon?", or words to that effect.

Yup, "dog ate my homework", pure and simple. A third-grader should have no trouble seeing through it.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 06:06PM

More thoughts on the Lost 116 Pages fiasco:

http://www.mormonthink.com/lost116web.htm

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 08:45PM

Not only that –

Harris lost the 116 pages in June 1828.

JS tried to join the Methodist church that *same month* (8 years after the so-called first vision, but 4 years before he first mentioned it).

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1657891,1657898#msg-1657898

Not a coincidence in my book. IMO he gave up on the whole BOM idea because of Martin's bumbling, and only the arrival of Cowdery gave him the courage to re-start the process.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.