Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 10:52AM

"I have a testimony."

Said with or without tears, with or without shaky voice. I have heard so many answer a tough question wherein they deny fact or reason with the phrase. " . . . because I have a testimony."

That is the moment they've got you. The first time you stand and say you KNOW. Game over. That is the key to everything Mormon. That is why my mother knows all that is wrong with the BoM and still testifies to it. That is why Mormons can deny a parent to witness a wedding.

At that moment when you have convinced yourself that you have been gifted special knowledge by the Holy Ghost, then nothing else matters. Not fact, not reason, not your own thoughts or feelings. That is the moment of surrender.

The testimony becomes the one-size-fits-all answer to everything. A Get Out of Jail Free card. Your Wild Card. You and only your fellow Mormons have the "true truth" which is whatever Russ, or the Prophet du Jour, says it is. And the "true truth" wins all arguments. All.

Flip Wilson had the Devil. Mormons have the Holy Ghost. All works the same way.

Heavenly Father made me do it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 11:16AM

returning to church, that "I" had just not felt the spirit like she had. Oh, okay. What argument can you use against that?

Date: November 09, 2019 11:24AM

Reminds me of the Mark Twain quote, "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

The quote works just as well when you substitue "Mormon with a testimony" for "stupid people." No?

Date: November 09, 2019 11:37AM

OMG Too good. What a great bit to put in my arsenal.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 05:09PM

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 11:34AM

Not sure if that's really a win.

A couple of mormons have tried that on me, and I simply respond with loud laughter clearly aimed at them. It's difficult for them to process something so "sacred" and solemn to them being treated with such obvious casual dismissal, especially when it works so well among other mormons. When laughter has subsided, I explain that their oh-so-special testimony is worth precisely as much as a JW's – nothing at all. Then I laugh a little more at them and say that they need to do better than that. They can't of course.

I've considered using another avenue, but haven't. Remember 9/11? What was that but a testimony in action? The hijackers KNEW beyond ANY doubt that their version of Islam was the one true way to heaven, and they KNEW they would be blessed and get their virgins. You simply don't fly airplanes into buildings without a sure knowledge of the superiority of your ways. Mormons just get up and prattle; these guys incinerated themselves (and 3,000 others). That's commitment; that's a real testimony.

Date: November 09, 2019 11:45AM

Yes. For that, I would love to see Russ actually command all the Mormons to pack up, leave all behind, and trek to Missouri.

I have a hunch we'd be seeing a lot more tares than wheat.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 11:37AM

When someone uses their "testimony" on me, I put my hands in my pockets, rock up on the balls of feet and back down and say, "Hmmmm."

Date: November 09, 2019 11:48AM

Perfect. "Hmmmnn" can replace a lot of words and work even better. And, maybe add just the right look on the face at the same time---something that says, "Do I really look THAT stupid???"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 12:46PM

You have a testimony (or any other strong, personal belief,) until you don't. Plenty of people on this board had a testimony at one time. What finally cracks their shelves is highly individual.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 02:28PM

Last time someone pulled their testimony on me I just shrugged, "Great! You have a testimony; I have a brain."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 03:04PM

Knowledge that requires carefully nurtured and protected ignorance to survive is exceedingly fragile. The Emperor’s subjects knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that his New Clothes were beautiful beyond description.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 03:37PM

I have an Evangelical friend who, basically, uses the same trick. She has a "personal relationship with God" that lets her know that everything she thinks, says, and does is God's will. How do you argue with that? She's always right and everyone else is always wrong unless they agree with her and God.

This kind of behavior is not unique to Mormons.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 03:59PM

I experience what Pooped describes a few times per month as I meet new people when filling in at gigs or helping in musicals or other functions. I try to have the most deadpan expression I can portray when listening to someone's personal relationship with god and I do not respond in any way - no acknowledgment whatsoever. I do all I can to let that part of the conversation die and go on to other things. The folks I see on a regular basis in my music world have become friends or close associates and they know, at least in the back of their minds, not to repeat their declarations of faith on me. It is the most polite way I can respond because if i state I do not believe in god, there is an immediate negative reaction. Unfortunately, those of us who do not believe, are the ones who usually have to remain silent.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.