Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 08:23PM

I was cleaning and came across an old MIA song book from 1928. While not a complete list. Here are some of the 158 songs that might make you think about how things have changed.

Aloha Oe
April Shower
Battle Hymn of the Republic
By the Waters of Minnetonka
Carry Me Back to Old Virginny
Emperor Napoleon
Good Bye My Lover
Good Night Ladies
Grandfather's Clock
Ham and Eggs
Howling Ute
Is Your Mother Home, Molly Maloney
Jingle Bells
John Brown's Baby
Juanita
Keep the Campfires Burning
Little Gray Home in the West
Moonlight and Roses
Mother Machree
My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean
My Old Kentucky Home
Old Black Joe
Old Mactavish Had a Farm EIEIO
Old Oaken Bucket
On Moonlight Bay
Ramona
Santa Lucia
Sweet Adeline
Taps
The More We Get Together
We're Going to get the Eats Right Now
We Love the Ladies
Yawning in the Morning

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 08:54PM

I have an MIA songbook that has many of these songs in it. It's blue, and I think was from the same era, could be slightly newer.
I learned Santa Lucia from this book, and could sing it for some friends in Italy, they thought it was hilarious that I new the words.

Howling Ute and Old Black Joe .... hmmm ouch. I remember playing Old Black Joe on Tonettes (cheap recorders) in grade school in the 60s.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 10:49PM

Is "John Jacob Jingle Hammerschmit..." in the book?

And does anyone remember a 'clapping game' called Bishop, Matthew, Mark, Luke & John?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 02:17AM

All I can remember is that song with the bitchin' power chord. Something about "deep in the mountainside" or some such nonsense.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 02:29AM

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 04:50AM

My grandma was the Primary president and also the chorister, and she said she had the kids singing "Zippidy-doo-dah", that old Uncle Remus song, from "Song of the South." The bishop told her to stop singing that one, but he still allowed:

"She'll be Comin' Around the Mountain"
"I'm a Workin' on the Railroad"
"The Old Gray Mare, She Ain't What She Used to Be."
"Old Man River"
"Home on The Range"
"On Top of Old Smokey"

But she taught them to her grandchildren, anyway, and we would sing these around the campfire at the famiy cabin.

Ah, those good old songs with a melody, that you could harmonize with, and lyrics that rhymed, and that told a story, and rhymed, and were easy to remember.

Thanks for the great memories, Heartless!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 01:21AM

When my best friend and I realized our girlhood dream of visiting London together in 1992, one of the things we just HAD to do was to attend the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace.

There was a lot of rhythmic stomping, a sea of heads to look over, the bright red jackets and tall furry black hats, all that traditional stuff. Then the unit band struck up what sounded remarkably like "The Old Grey Mare, She Ain't What She Used to Be." Judging from the banner flying above the Palace, evidently Her Majesty was in residence.

BFF and I were usually on the same page at the same time, and we had the same reaction to that song. It struck us both as appallingly disrespectful toward HM. We could tell, just by glancing at each other. We looked around, studying the people surging around us, but nobody else seemed upset by the tacky song.

Many times in the years after that, we wondered whether that melody went with another song in the UK.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 10:14AM

We just used to sing all the gay songs. You know, "Summer's Day, Bright and Gay," "The first thing in the morning and all day long, I will be a Gay note and sing a happy song," "It's always fun when grandma comes, when grandma comes, we're gay," etc.

Those who grew up and took those songs to heart got excommunicated.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 01:47AM

I remember some of these songs from school and from what? Ukulele lessons. Battle Hymn more from regular sacrament meetings.

My parents attended MIA in 1928, but no idea what songs they sang.

My Dad and Mom met at MIA. He was 16 and she was 14. That would have been in 1923. They got married in 1935 after a long on and off relationship. Neither one was much of a singer.

The "old 17th Ward."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 01:48AM by Phantom Shadow.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.