Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 09:28PM

All stars burn out evenrually correct? So humanity will actually come to a complete end eventually unless they travel to another habutal planet in another solar system with its own star to sustain life for humans. Just a thought i had while looking at the sun today. The sun will burn oout though right? Eventually no matter what we do and the earh will outlast humans.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 09:43PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_Earth

"The luminosity of the Sun will steadily increase, resulting in a rise in the solar radiation reaching the Earth. This will result in a higher rate of weathering of silicate minerals, which will cause a decrease in the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. In about 600 million years from now, the level of carbon dioxide will fall below the level needed to sustain C3 carbon fixation photosynthesis used by trees. Some plants use the C4 carbon fixation method, allowing them to persist at carbon dioxide concentrations as low as 10 parts per million. However, the long-term trend is for plant life to die off altogether. The extinction of plants will be the demise of almost all animal life, since plants are the base of the food chain on Earth.[12]

In about one billion years, the solar luminosity will be 10% higher than at present. This will cause the atmosphere to become a "moist greenhouse", resulting in a runaway evaporation of the oceans. As a likely consequence, plate tectonics will come to an end, and with them the entire carbon cycle.[13]
Following this event, in about 2–3 billion years, the planet's magnetic dynamo may cease, causing the magnetosphere to decay and leading to an accelerated loss of volatiles from the outer atmosphere. Four billion years from now, the increase in the Earth's surface temperature will cause a runaway greenhouse effect, heating the surface enough to melt it. By that point, all life on the Earth will be extinct.[14][15] The most probable fate of the planet is absorption by the Sun in about 7.5 billion years, after the star has entered the red giant phase and expanded beyond the planet's current orbit. "

Date: November 11, 2019 02:37AM

Wow, so the sun will actually outlast the earth. Glad i asked or i would not have guessed that.

Posted by: St. Greta ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 09:55PM

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 10:19AM

Right. As if we didn't already have enough to worry about.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 10:15PM

You don't know that humanity doesn't already exist in another solar system. So, yeah, we may be extinguished here on earth, but we have no idea what else is existing out there.

Posted by: stillangry ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 10:10AM

stillanon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You don't know that humanity doesn't already exist
> in another solar system. So, yeah, we may be
> extinguished here on earth, but we have no idea
> what else is existing out there.

Isn't this a somewhat Mormon viewpoint? That humans live on other planets in the universe, that look like us? Why are you supporting this idea? Not good.

Posted by: Master Mahan ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 06:38AM

stillangry Wrote:
> stillanon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You don't know that humanity doesn't already
> exist
> > in another solar system. So, yeah, we may be
> > extinguished here on earth, but we have no idea
> > what else is existing out there.
>
>
> Isn't this a somewhat Mormon viewpoint? That
> humans live on other planets in the universe, that
> look like us? Why are you supporting this idea?
> Not good.

How is it "not good"? While many aliens will probably look nothing like us, there is such a thing as parallel evolution. It's why a kangaroo looks like an antelope, and an armadillo looks like a reptile, and a dolphin looks like a shark. Somewhere out there, there could be a race of beings that look very like us.

Then again, Earth could just be a nature reserve, and the keepers might be keeping specimens elsewhere.

Date: November 13, 2019 11:56AM

Damn those keepers. I am not their entertainment.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 10:19PM

Try Kurzgesagt's Existential Crisis Playlist on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFs4vir_WsTxontcYm5ctqp89cNBJKNrs

It presents all kinds of very weird stuff that will happen a long way away or a long time after we are all too deceased to care, with a little dash of optimism here and there. I like their artistic style and the little birds talking about giant scale scientifically predicted transformation that blows anything the cult ever made up clean out of the water.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 10:21PM

The Overlords of the Universe will come and save us long before any of these natural calamities can happen!

Man, I hope they beat the "humans make good Glinger-food" people in finding our planet!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 11:20PM

I wouldn’t worry about it. If we don’t extinct ourselves first, odds are an asteroid, solar flare, gamma burst, or other space based calamity will take us out long before that.

Surely Mormonism will end before the sun dies out. I find that thought comforting.

Date: November 11, 2019 02:51AM

Hahahaha indeed babylon indeed. The sun will outlast mormonism and that is an awesome thought. The cool part about the sun i realized is that it is reliable and consistent and not dishonest, traits i never found among the people in mormonism. No deception as i can see it in the sky and feel its energy. It does not proselytize me or ask me to worship it. Its like an old reliable friend that has been there from the beginning even through the hell of mormonism and still there on the other side.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 01:51AM

I don't think we'll have to worry about the sun burning out. We'll be gone long before that. Pandemic. Asteroid strike. Super volcano eruption. Nuclear wars. HAL 9000 will decide we are just too high maintenance and not worth the trouble, and recycle us. Lots of possibilities.

And of course there's always Kolob.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 02:04AM

I guess it won't make much difference.

In such circumstances, as far as each person is concerned, the end of the universe and everything in it happens when they die.

If souls/spirits/immortal consciousness do exist, then (if any of the lore can be counted on), they will outlast the sun in another dimension of existence, or something like that.

The "big bang" may have been nothing more than flipping a switch to power up a big holodeck/VR facility. When the power goes out, everyone leaves the building to go back to their respective homes.

Date: November 11, 2019 03:00AM

It would be pretty nuts if our energy was transported somewhere else when our bodies died here. Like a reincarnation transfer into another body in another solar system type of a deal or an entirely different non physical dimension or something. Hard to know really. It sucks to think that the end of our bodies is the end of us but who knows.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 02:24AM

Are you assuming that there is no evolving life in other solar systems ?

Date: November 11, 2019 02:55AM

Well it is not known for certain or proven yet by anyone on this planet. We can only assume really if there is or isn't.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 02:57AM

It is not proven? Surely you jest.

Date: November 11, 2019 03:02AM

Who has seen or proven evolving life in another solar system on this planet?

Date: November 11, 2019 03:08AM

Who has seen or proven evolution on this planet?

Everyone who has studied medicine, epidemiology, zoology, or genetics; everyone who believes DNA can identify people forensically; everyone who has had their DNA tested to see where they come from; everyone who suffers from certain cancers or forms of hemophilia; everyone who observes the re-convergence under climatic stress of polar and grizzly bears.

Have you ever wondered why you need a new flu shot each year? Because evolution.

Date: November 11, 2019 03:55AM

So because evolution is proven here then thats a 100% gaurantee that evolution is happening in another solar system somewhere? You're smarter than i am in this subject clearly so i will yield that you know what you are talking about. I haven't studied a whole lot on the evolution subject. I just figured that without a star in the proper place there could be no evolution of species and nothing could even live without a sun. There is probably an infinite of scenarios that evolution of species could be happening out there somewhere for sure though. The universe is a big place with endless possibilities really.

Date: November 11, 2019 04:08AM

I think that is the key.

There is an infinite number of stars, and hence solar systems, in the immensity of space. That abundance yields an infinite number of planets with the right conditions for life to evolve. Given that the physical properties of the universe are uniform, the forces that gave rise to the spontaneous organization of life here should do likewise in many other places. Evolution, the means through which that life develops, thus becomes logically inevitable.

The question, accordingly, isn't how life could evolve elsewhere but why it wouldn't.

Date: November 12, 2019 03:24PM

I see

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 04:12AM

Warrior71783 Wrote:
The universe is a big place with endless possibilities really.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
UNIVERSE: really really big place

Our Milky Way galaxy is above average size for a galaxy, but not even close to some of the super-gigantic galaxies discovered. In the Milky Way, there's about 500 billion stars, and over 80% are "binary stars". Our sun is not a binary star. Scientists evaluated whether life could be possible on a planet in a binary system. The answer seems to be ABSOLUTELY YES. Therefore, we search for life in all solar systems, and not just single star systems.

By current estimates, the Milky Way might contain close to 100 billion planets that generally meet the requirements for life. The total planets in the Milky Way is far greater than that number: that's just the planets that might sustain life. It's mind boggling to think that Earth is the only planet in the Milky Way with life. Who knows?

How many galaxies in the universe? . . . well at least 200 billion, but quite possibly over 2 trillion. Therefore, we can say about 200,000,000,000 to 2,000,000,000,000 galaxies. Nobody could even take a wild guess about how many planets in the entire universe have intelligent life. Could be a lot!!!

Date: November 12, 2019 03:28PM

Jesus. So are you saying there could be life in another place just in our milky way alone? Like a really really high chance that there is evolving life on another planet. This is like some star wars ideas here haha.

Date: November 11, 2019 03:33AM

The sun is about 4.57 billion years old and will continue for about 5 billion years when it will enter the death spiral phase of its existence. Each second, the sun converts 600 million tons of matter into neutrinos (aka solar radiation energy). In the beginning, it took about 100,000 years for the collapsing protostar phase to cause interior fusion at the core. After a few million years, the sun stabilized into its current form.

Although life has existed on earth for billions of years, life more complex than a bacterium has only been around for 600 million years.

Theoretically, some form of life on earth could continue for about another 1 to 2 billion years. However, human beings and other land-based creatures may have a difficult time sustaining life more than 250 million years from now. Here's a simplified explanation: over the next billion years, solar radiation reaching earth will increase by 8 percent. An increase of just 0.1 percent leads to an increased average global temperature of 0.2 degrees centigrade. With winter temperatures increasing just 5 degrees or so, snow and ice will mostly disappear from the planet in 250 million years. Life will evolve as it always has. Intelligent creatures (human beings) will innovate and develop technological ways to survive and thrive. In 250 million years, land will be quite inhospitable for life, and evolution may encourage life to return to the sea.

There are countless things that could catastrophically eliminate vast numbers of earth's lifeforms. A giant meteor could strike earth. Massive global volcanic activity could erupt. Human-built nuclear bombs could be used in a global war. And a million other possibilities.

Realistically, the plan to colonize Mars has little to do with the gradual changing of the planet over the next 250 million years. Something unusual could happen over the next x millions of years that may wipe out humanity. (something could happen in the next 100 years or thousand years or ten thousand years . . . . ) If humanity is spread out to both Earth and Mars, then the species could theoretically continue on Mars in the event of catastrophe on earth.

And for science fiction fans: maybe a vastly superior species of intelligent life will benevolently travel from their planet to earth, and offer to save mankind and transport humans to a different habitable place somewhere else in the galaxy. Hopefully we won't become "slaves" in that scenario: )

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 04:02AM

> And for science fiction fans: maybe a vastly
> superior species of intelligent life will
> benevolently travel from their planet to earth,
> and offer to save mankind and transport humans to
> a different habitable place somewhere else in the
> galaxy. Hopefully we won't become "slaves" in
> that scenario: )

It's a cookbook.

Date: November 11, 2019 04:04AM

Yes no slavery is good. The sun does fascinate me i know that much. How it can self sustain for such a long time and giving out constant light and energy is amazing to me. I have no clue how something could give out that much heat and energy and continuously self-sustain for billions of years. That is absolutely crazy to me.

Date: November 11, 2019 04:20AM

If you ignore the incomprehensible enormity of space, and concentrate only on our little old solar system, it's fair to say that in this little part of space, we can find an infinite number of spectacularly amazing things. How can it be logically explained that the sun formed in just a few million years, and then puts out astronomical amounts of energy for over 10 billion years. Mind boggling to say the least.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 10:07AM

Date: November 13, 2019 12:04PM

They're good. Like really good. They have the sun or star program down that is for sure. Well done monkeys.

Posted by: pascal wager ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 03:52PM

I heard a lecture from a Utah State University Atmospheric Physics professor regarding the expected impacts of more greenhouse gasses (CO2 and Methane) that is currently projected.

https://vimeo.com/showcase/4245985

This link will take you to Climate Change Science Essentials produced by professor Davis. If we keep dumping CO2 into the atmosphere the way we are, we will cause major social disruption by the end of the century.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 03:17PM

But the Earth will be toast long before that when the Sun starts to expand as it runs out of fuel to burn and then collapses on itself and goes nova...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 03:19PM by anybody.

Date: November 12, 2019 03:30PM

So the sun will take out all life in our solar system before it dies out basically. Probably way before it dies out.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 08:48AM

Date: November 13, 2019 12:05PM

Got it. Thank you kind sir or ma'am.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 03:37PM

The death of the sun is the death of god. Humans will probably not even exist when that time comes. How will we not evolve?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 10:24AM

Posted by: Ed O' Brien ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 11:58AM

There is some material that suggests beings from other worlds may have come here, and may still be coming here. It is an idea that scares people a lot which is why most of them reject it, but they rationalize it all afterwards. I don't necessarily believe it myself, but I don't reject it out of hand. If these beings did visit here, it is likely they would have technology that would allow them to do mindblowing things.

Some of these early visits may have even provided the bases of ancient gods and heroes.

Date: November 13, 2019 12:09PM

The pyramid architects of our past. But pyramids may have just been a human idea.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 12:19PM

The aliens come disguised as paper clips, and sustain themselves by feeding on socks from clothes dryers.

Date: November 13, 2019 12:21PM

Judic West is not, and never has been, a paper clip. And he subsists not on your socks but on the lint.

You are on your own as far as the missing knee highs go.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 12:48PM

Aha, I knew that so-called Windows "helper" paperclip was an alien plant!!

Posted by: Naked at Dawn ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 12:44PM

We have been in a spiritual evolution, just as much as a biological evolution, throughout space and time.

In spirit, evolving changes the inherited traits of our spirit from one generation to the next. Our spiritual lessons are passed on with each generation as we meet in soul groups with similar spiritual lessons to be learned here on Earth, and this is the basis of our spiritual evolution.

When we hurt people or are bigoted, and ignore our spirituality, we are devolving.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 01:00PM

So my nonexistent 2 year supply is gonna be superfluous anyway...damn and F***! Lol

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 07:05PM

We will be long gone by then. And by "we" I mean our descendants who will be as different from us as we are from the early hominids -- much more so. We will evolve in many different directions as we disperse to other worlds. And we will likely be able to direct our own evolution, if we wish to do so.

I do think we will survive. All we have to do is to get a toehold in various places -- Mars, the Moon, and further afield. Not everyone will survive, but some will. And those who survive will carry on. We are a tough, clever species, and I think we will make it.

Here's a fun fact -- the Sun is projected to start dying in 5 billion years. But the Milky Way galaxy is projected to start colliding with the Andromeda galaxy in about 2 billion years, giving us lots and lots of new neighbor solar systems.

To quote the attached article --

"After they first collide, the galaxies will merge into one. Despite plowing into each other at full force, there are not expected to be direct collisions between stars in the two galaxies, because there is so much open space between them. The coming together will, however, knock the stars into different orbits."

Be sure to wave hello to our future neighbors! :)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/andromeda-galaxy-will-collide-with-milky-way/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2019 07:12PM by summer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.