Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tig ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 03:01PM

If you haven't watched the Gong Show, the reveal for the supposed new youth program, then it is a must see.

It was so cringeworthy bad.

The interplay between the participants was forced
It was like they were reading cue cards in real time
Because they only practiced 5 minutes before
The videos were miscued
Bottom right and 5:14 you can even watch the director cue the actors on stage
The actions were faked...check out the Gong cell phone portion

If I know anything about youth it is that authenticity is critical. This broadcast was about as far from real and authentic as you could get. This made GenCon look like a hollywood A list show by comparison. It was LOL bad.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/broadcasts/face-to-face/?lang=eng

I might not want to do scouts or personal progress if I was 15, but I really wouldn't want to do whatever this shit show is supposed to be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 03:25PM

I wonder if I'm related to ElderOldDong?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 04:13PM

Didn't he get shafted?

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 03:51PM

I couldn't watch past the first couple of minutes. Do these kids even know what the gathering of Israel even means? What, exactly, does it even mean? Gag...so fake!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 04:18PM

swear

I only watched the first couple of minutes. I noticed that every young man/boy was dressed in a heavy starched white collar dress shirt. Sure, a few had bow ties, others with the church standard striped tie and a couple of boys had no ties.

But every one of them was wearing that damn white shirt!

Why not a light blue or a pretty pink one?

How about a nice turtleneck sweater?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 04:20PM

How bout what they usually wear? Why all the "dress up"?

Date: November 18, 2019 04:55PM

Features a 10 minute pre-recorded commercial from Rusty.

Q: What can I do to become more like Jesus Christ?

A: Leave the church!

Rusty promises them "Miracles will happen, you're the hope of Israel."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2019 04:57PM by messygoop.

Date: November 18, 2019 05:07PM

Instead of telling the youth that they are a chosen generation, the church is now telling them that they have been sent here at this time for a reason.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 05:36PM

LOL--messygoop!

Hype, hype, and more hype.

It really is a "global church"! Look at all those children of different colors and languages--yet they all sing the same song. I guess the Coca-cola Madison Avenue advertising firms believe that people really do fall for all that emotionally-manipulative garbage.

Numbers! Millions! Huge throngs of children at conferences! Big crowds storming the temples faster than the contractors can build them! How thrilling!

This video is brainwashing in action. The plan is, folks to continue with the same old Primary brainwashing into the teen years. It ain't gonna work. Teen brains are more developed. The surveys indicate that scripture talk doesn't resonate with developing minds.

Maybe peer pressure will work? The Mormons are coining a new phrase: global peer pressure.

Dazzle them with numbers! Dazzle them with cheap trinkets and shiny things! Is that group of sorry, bland non-personalities going to take the place of rock stars, or of Jesus Christ, Superstar? What kid wants to be like them, or like the Big 15?

Because Mormonism is so illogical and insane, TSCC can only appeal to the emotions. Even then, the emotions can never be very deep or heartfelt, because the spirit is just not there. Christ-like unconditional love is not there.

The OP nailed it: this is not real. Kids will know this. Nelson and the leaders are underestimating children--they are wiser and more street-smart than those old geezers can imagine. Even the Madison Avenue advertisers haven't a clue, at this point.

I gave my Cub Scouts reality! We poked around in the dirt, and under rocks, and along creek-banks, to see what we could find. We marveled at the wonders that God created on this Earth. We lived in the here-and-now, and helped others directly--not by throwing money at the cult, but by cleaning up litter, singing at the care centers (kids actually enjoy singing, if they're the right songs!). They made benches and Christmas tree ornaments and wind socks and gifts for their parents. The only reward they got for all of this was the joy of working with a group of friends, the satisfaction from the outcome, the joy their projects gave to others, and a little patch on their uniform. They were kids, and weren't told they were something "Shpeshul". They were playful children, and weren't expected to be future missionaries and temple-workers, dressed up in those crisp white shirts. We didn't make them clean toilets of corporate real estate holdings--they cleaned up the hiking trails and improved the public parks.

Cub Scouts is gone from Mormonism. My daughter was released from her position of Den Mother, on the last day. There was money left in the Cub treasury, and the stake Scout leaders used it for a big party for everyone, at the favorite local game center.

I do remember one thing, that my Cub Scout son told me. He was horribly upset when the Deacon leaders would tell the boys that they were destined for greatness, to be leaders of men, to influence others to join the church, and to go on a mission someday. They were taught that Mormons were superior to everyone else. My son said that the Deacons were taught that they had more "direct authority from God" than the women, including their own mothers. Their Mormon-given authority and deeper knowledge superseded their teachers and coaches--even the POTUS! Those kids were taught to be arrogant!

This new program just carries all the arrogance, brainwashing, lies and peer-pressure to the breaking point. I hope that the Mormon kids mutiny!

This video ought to do it. Luckily, I watched it on an empty stomach. Seriously--I gagged a few times. :-/

Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 06:53PM

I watched some of this video. Skimmed through the video. If you watch the presentation by the adults it looks like Sunday Church meetings they have on TV. I am talking other churches that have Sunday Broadcasts. It is so unreal.
I still would like to know the plan for the gathering of Israel. Can someone explain it to me. I know these kids were singing about it and talking about it but what does it mean in the year 2019. Have we involved the Jewish nations in this process? Have we met with the Israel leaders to inform them of the plan?

What I see is a bunch of kids going on doing, talking and saying things that they have no clue about or no idea.

Watching the adult leaders in the presentation centres on child abuse.

But then I am from a chosen generation in 1960 and I guess we are a complete failure.

Date: November 19, 2019 03:30PM

Toronto Boy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I watched some of this video. Skimmed through the
> video. If you watch the presentation by the adults
> it looks like Sunday Church meetings they have on
> TV. I am talking other churches that have Sunday
> Broadcasts. It is so unreal.

My thoughts as well. I wasn't going to mention this but they had an orchestra band with brass instruments and drums playing the opening song/hymn. Maybe it's a yawn, but if you had ever skimmed the church handbook on music, they were very clear about their sacred hymns.

They have always been picky and banned the use of percussion and brass instruments accompanying their hymns.

Posted by: MIA dropout ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 06:53PM

That entire expensive, rehearsed, edited, scripted, slick multi-media presentation was on the par of those I have seen from very large corporations! Promotional PR stuff they show to their stock-holders.

It was also similar to those PBS lectures, by Wayne Dyer, Susie Ormond, and others, promoting their book series, DVD sets, and Websites.

Yes, it is definitely hype!

I got the feeling of evil from it. A cult is trying to control the innocent children, on every level possible, using every weapon in its arsenal. I agree that it is brainwashing and peer-pressure, in the extreme. It is also PERFECTIONISM.

It's like my authoritarian Mormon parents, always expecting us kids to be perfect, always pestering us to do more, and do it better. As a result, I grew to hate doing housework, laundry, cooking, and taking care of everyone. I never did it "right." Luckily, I loved learning and sports and piano, and I excelled in school. That helped me avoid some of that Young Women's time-wasting garbage. No, I never completed my--whatever it was--albums of requirements achieved, and records of goals reached (set by the cult in areas that did not interest me) and "books of remembrance".

Most 8-17-year-old kids in today's schools are overloaded already, academically, with homework and pressure to graduate and start college at age 16, and become fluent in a foreign language, etc, and this is a good thing! Kids seem to enjoy their various hobbies and interests, sports and teams, and music and other creative outlets. Kids are doing great! They seem to sense how much they can handle. Then the cult has to step in, and make life Hell, like mine was, until my mother finally let up.

I could do most things well, but did no one thing "perfectly." My TBM mother was always pushing me to be more competitive, and more of an extrovert. These prized Mormon qualities were not in my nature, and, when I failed to change, my self-esteem plummeted. I still feel inferior. I never felt I was "Christ-like". But, I enjoyed my accomplishments, and things were easy for me. I felt that the Mormon church was putting a monkey wrench into my gears! Here was a program I could never, NEVER achieve. I knew in the beginning, that I never could fulfill all those expectations. None of us ever did attain whatever the pinnacle was named in those days. (God is merciful in my forgetting all this crap.) My mother hounded me constantly, to work on my MIA Whatever Award. Mormonism is stacked against the members. It's like those difficult college exams that are time-limited, so that it is impossible to get 100%--but instead of accepting that, the leaders beat you up for not getting 100%, and they make you try again and again.

Sorry to rant, but add to my initial creepy feeling of evil for these poor kids, the overriding feeling of despair and hopelessness, which is at the heart of Mormonism. This PISS program would make me suicidal.

And all of this torture is for MONEY and NUMBERS OF MEMBERS.

"Hey, Boys and Girls! Click this circle button on your cell phone and you will have: INSTANT FRIENDS, who will come running to you!"

(Good Lord, how many of those cute kids in the video could afford their own cell phone?)

"Compete! Win! Never rest!" Is this the way high achievers are raised? NO. I have known, for a lifetime, since childhood, some very successful people. They played at the beach, rode horses in the hills, sat for hours talking, watched the sunsets, read books, played a musical instrument, studied what they were interested in. Most were rugged individuals.

All were self-motivating. Maybe one has to be born that way--I don't know. Each was a unique individual, but they did have a few things in common. They were social, but independent, and were given a lot of freedom by their parents. They chose to fool around with electronics in their father's garage, chose to inspect dead animals, chose to take things apart and put them back together, chose to study the stars.... They were pretty good at sports, but didn't play on teams. They weren't obsessed with winning, or popularity, but they were always friendly. They shared a lot of their discoveries and joy with me, and my life was made better for it. I miss those people, and my childhood. I read about them, now, and read their published professional papers, etc. Three were Mormons, but religion never played a big part in their life, and it still doesn't. They're NOM. The others I knew were agnostic and atheist. Their wise parents didn't push church onto them.

Really, children are just "themselves", and you watch them unfold into beautiful, unique human beings, and you give them lots of opportunities and choices.

Mormons will never get over their one-size-fits-all mindset, will they.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 08:09PM

How invasive!

Who are the Mormons, that they can tell children how to live their lives, and give such specific directives to parents?

Founded by a pedophile, polygamist con-man, who are the Mormons to set themselves up as any example of decency, morality, truthfulness, and love?

I want to see the expert child psychologists, who are behind this? Who are the teachers, the sociologists, and other professionals who worked on this? You can bet that there was plenty of polling, business, and advertising professionals. Where are the Child Advocates? I suspect this is all garbage that came to Rusty Nelson in a wet dream, or came out of that blonde woman's ass when she was jogging.

The arrogance! Has anything truly great ever come of this warped Mormon philosophy of perfectionism, and of beating children into submission? Where are the great artists, creative writers, architects, brave leaders of nations, talented musicians, honest politicians, that have come forth from the inspired Mormon way of life? We can see the fruits of the dwindling Mormon philosophy, and the Mormons would have to reach far beyond its grasp to reach mediocrity.

This cult wants to raise obedient minions, who make up for their poor salaries and ignorance by NUMBERS. The leaders aren't interested in appealing to anyone who thinks, because those are the ones who are already leaving in droves. Russ and his gang figure that children are foolish enough to believe this is good and not evil. Children of brainwashed adults are left unprotected and vulnerable to predators like Mormon cult members.

There should be a law to protect our beloved young ones. Make it illegal for groups to recruit children. Make it illegal to baptize a child until he is 18. Make it illegal to take money from children until they are 18. I had to pay tithing on my goddamn babysitting money, and on my birthday to give pennies to the Primary Children's, some hospital far away in Salt Lake, and I didn't know what it was. Actually, those pennies went straight into the pockets of LDS, Inc.

When is all this lying and scamming going to blow up in the cult's face?

When?

Maybe parents are finally going to draw the line, like I did years ago, and leave the when the Mormons start abusing our children! I discovered that my children were being taught guilt, fear, frustration, hopelessness, despair, and to look forward to temple work and a horrible polygamous "heaven" with eternal subservience of women, inequality of everyone's rights, separation of non-Mormon families, social strata and snobbery, as the end result of life.

And the Mormon suicide rate continues to soar.

How can the Mormons be so arrogant as to instruct children in their daily life, when they have such a high suicide rate? The suicides are getting younger, too. Some educated, experienced expert on children has to step in and stop this atrocity.

And I thought I was done being angry, done with my tirades. All I can do is try to get my grandchildren away from the PISS pushers. They are creepy, and I will let my grandchildren know it.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 09:27PM

Is Bedknobs behind this? Seriously.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 10:06PM

Wow, Is that the new celestial hairdo or are those women twins?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.