Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 04:42PM

I think the best thing about alcohol in everyday use is that it's a social lubricant.

also, on a hot summer day, it's a refreshing beverage when used in moderation.

But there's the rub, it's somewhat like unmarried persons having intimacy / sex: It can be enjoyed, but if it goes Wrong, awful things sometimes happen (especially for immature folks).

What's 'moderate' drinking for one individual is sometimes 'to excess' for another. When U think it's OK to 'feel a buzz', but then a relative or friend needs help (with a flat tire, etc) and you want to drive... you're putting yourself & others in danger.

Even without driving or operating machinery, drinking isn't nutritious and resources used in production & distribution could be applied to other uses. Alcohol is a DRUG that's responsible for many many broken lives & homes.

Tobacco for healing sick or injured cattle? U gotta be kidding me! But when inhaled, it's a terrible risk.

Coffee & Tea contain chemicals that are foreign to our bodies, we still don't know all the answers about them.

Regardless of the origin(s) of the Wow, I gotta give Joey a 'C+' on this, maybe a 'B'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 04:53PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 05:01PM

I don’t think Joseph would approve of the WoW being used as a cult loyalty test.

Date: November 19, 2019 05:21PM

Really? Drinking is difficult to disguise and most don't make their own; So it's often obvious who drinks & who doesn't.

Mormons love focus on the outward appearances!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 05:13PM

"but if it goes wrong???" Mine went really wrong. I choose unmarried sex now and have been with the same guy for longer than my marriage really lasted.

I don't drink much. I'm cheap. I have other things to spend my money on. I'd rather buy food actually. I've had a buzz maybe once or twice. I've seen the damage it can do as I have 3 siblings who drink too much. They'd agree.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 05:18PM

I don't think it would be that hard to build a breathalyzer test into each instance of starting a car -- or some sort of test. To me, drunk driving is a solvable problem.

There are many, many studies that show coffee and tea to be healthful drinks when used in moderation.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 05:26PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regardless of the origin(s) of the Wow, I gotta
> give Joey a 'C+' on this, maybe a 'B'.

You're kidding, right? The Kirtland Temple debauchery with drunk people seeing angels was a 'C+' on this, maybe a 'B'?

Date: November 19, 2019 05:51PM

EB: just exactly how does what happened in Kirtland decades ago impact us today?

summer: here in WA, drunk drivers are required to get an interlock device for their vehicles after a few convictions, but they can be fooled (bring along a sober friend to fool the device).

Date: November 19, 2019 06:01PM

GNPE Wrote:
> EB: just exactly how does what happened in
> Kirtland decades ago impact us today?

"The implication of both these orthodox perspectives went beyond treatment, for it was reasonably enough assumed that the ill-advised consumption of stimulants by even those in good health could lead t o disease . A full appreciation of this point is essential to any modern understanding of how the LDS health code would initially have been understood—by physicians or by Mormons . Immoderate use of even mildly stimulating foods and drinks was likely to result in symptoms ranging from dyspepsia to nervous debility, and this was especially so in the many individuals of "delicate," "nervous" or "sanguine" temperament. Young children , pregnant women and those already ill with fevers or other inflammations were particularly at risk , as were those whose jobs were largely sedentary, such as students.
The more powerful stimulants , unless prescribed for purely medicinal purposes, posed substantial risks to everyone who consumed them. On these general points, nearly all orthodox physicians were in agreement. They differed only on the degree of stimulation associated with such items as ardent spirits, wine, beer, etc., coffee , tea , meat, mustard, pepper and other spices. Although this debate had been going on for many decades, both popular and medical discussion on this subject crested in the second quarter o f the nineteenth century, spurred in part by such crises as the world cholera pandemic which swept America in 1832-33 , and the not unrelated health reform movements of the day.10"

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V14N03_48.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 06:01PM by Elder Berry.

Date: November 19, 2019 06:03PM

GNPE Wrote:
> summer: here in WA, drunk drivers are required to
> get an interlock device for their vehicles after a
> few convictions, but they can be fooled (bring
> along a sober friend to fool the device).

Designated blower?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.