Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 06:14PM

I work in city planning and work with a large variety of developers and land owners, but one of my worst experiences to date is a Mormon Church remodel.

Besides reliving PTSD by having these self-righteous men in white shirts and ties in a room with me, I am surprised how stingy and nasty these people are. They want variances to city ordinances on everything because, apparently, the rules do not apply to them. They keep bringing up that they are a non-profit and have limited funds. It takes all of my energy not to yell "bullshit." But I refrain. I do take a bit of pleasure in denying them variances (they would be denied to any applicant)

I am considering asking my boss to remove me from the project. It is shocking how badly the cult still impacts me. I really hate the church and don't want it impacting my job.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 06:22PM

I hope (for your sake) you get removed from the project, button in the meantime, stick to your principals.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 09:55PM

Just to add to my knowledge base, the white-shirted sepulchers who come to see you, are they ward-level, stake-level or from higher up the mormon food chain? Who pays their salary, based on what their business cards say?

Are these the money guys or the builder guys? Do they have a general contractor leading the charge or is he not part of these dealings?

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 10:34AM

Interesting. I know what your saying, I've got relatives who work for the church and they are doing really well. It's always been the case here in Utah that if you want to get ahead you've got to be in good with big families with connections. There is plenty of money and the ones with the right names do certainly should be aware of their privilege.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 12:05PM

STICK WITH IT STICK WITH IT STICK WITH IT
STICK WITH IT

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 03:36PM

Posted by: Aaron ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 04:00PM

I have had dealings with the cult's land department. Total and complete jerks and very two faced. When trying to buy a property from them, I was referred to as Mr Aaron. When they wanted something from us, I was Brother Aaron. Observing them in action was a major strain on my increasingly flimsy shelf at the time.

Posted by: dumbmormons ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 07:46PM

Working with those who "know everything" and directly represent "The lardz Servants, the Prophets" is frustrating an seldom a positive experience.

You are seeing it for approvals and waivers.

We have seen it that way as well as from the Branch/Ward perspective in "the mission field".

The SLC guys came in and told us to look for a good building to rent. We found a good one - one of few available - and told them and they checked it out. Would have to completely re-do the inside and they only wanted the back 2/3 of it. A former Auto parts store and run down.

Branch Prez I was working with told them leasing it was foolish and he could get the whole place including the adjacent parking for under $12,000 - but they did not want to buy - just lease.

So, worked out the lease and improvements. Paid well over $40,000 to fix things and make a Branch of it.

After a couple years and frozen water pipes most of the first winter - those who came had to drive a mile to the gas station to use the bathroom - they moved to another town about 40 miles away and once again - lease and remodel.

Meanwhile he first building owner fixed up the front section and rented both parts out. A year later he sold the place for well over $150,000.

Yep. SLC knows best.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.