Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 06:50PM

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/phnom-penh-cambodia-temple/

This is a rendering of the new Cambodia temple.

I can't decide. Do I really like it because they're really trying to put in local architecture? Or....do I hate it because it's a fake, plastic copy of real good architecture? I know I hate it because it's mormon, but setting that aside, does this smack of the San Diego/Washington DC/Dizneeland temple?

or do I like it because they've stopped putting that farkakte plastic angel on the top?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 06:53PM by Levi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 08:01PM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 10:14PM

Would anyone notice if you parked a Yugo at a Ferrari dealership?

Posted by: Samuel Clemens ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 11:54PM

Funny you mention that, because there IS a Rolls Royce Dealership in Phnom Penh. I always thought that was strange...

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 10:54PM

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 01:35PM

Posted by: Naked at Dawn ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 07:34AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the LDS temple fits in with the local
> architecture wonderfully. I mean, if you were
> wandering through Ankor Wat and saw that, you'd
> barely notice.

The atmosphere is different.

Date: November 21, 2019 11:44AM

Hence my sarcastic comment.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 09:05PM

One thing I like to wonder: Do TBMs believe that the architects are inspired by ghawd?

From my perspective, if I were 'them' I'd get some poor starving students with CAD skills and the desire to be architects and have each do a 'rendering' and then pick one, for public consumption.

After all, how many years away are we from breaking ground? When it finally comes time to hire an architect, it won't be a problem to get something close to this image built. But in the meantime, they haven't really spent any money. I'm thinking that 'mormon church' and 'cheap-ass bastards' are now synonymous.

The fact that Intellectual Reserve, Inc. is the organization that is reserving 'full rights' tends to dilute the religiosity of the matter.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 10:05PM

Really?

a temple in Cambodia? How many members there?

I wonder how many U.S. / Western people go to asia for sex tourism?

Again, we don't know how church stats are compiled, so we're in the dark along with 99.9% of the membership; Good Company that?

who was the Recent ChurchCo pres who brought ChurchCo near to financial ruin?

James J Hill, the man behind the Great Northern Railway was called the Empire Builder (long-distance Amtrak Seattle/Portland to Chicago train still named that, I used to be a crew-member), this ought to be applied to Rusty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 10:05PM by GNPE.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 10:25PM

>a temple in Cambodia? How many members there?

According to The Corporation, 14,725

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/facts-and-statistics/country/cambodia

According to cumorah.com
"Church membership reached 13,349 in 2015 and 14,725 in 2018."

However,
"Nationwide active membership is estimated to be at least 3,000, or 20% of total church membership."

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 10:56AM

"Nationwide active membership is estimated to be at least 3,000, or 20% of total church membership."

I bet their threshold for "active" is pretty low. How many tithe-paying, temple recommend holding members are there in Cambodia? I'd be surprised if it's more than a few hundred.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 03:29PM

I agree.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 10:18PM

I remember going through the san diego open house when i was a kid. My father was totally addicted to the religion throughout my entire life god damn. I learned later from a steven hassan book that chanting produces a high and is considered a strong addiction. So i think my father was addicted to chanting and weirdness.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 10:50PM

Why all the officiousness on that page of announcements?

Why doesn't ghawd just fill in all the blanks: when it will be built, etc. Doesn't he know? Isn't he omniscient?

For that matter, why doesn't he simply reorganize some matter, and presto change-o, a temple appears? Isn't he all powerfull?

He11, if a Mormon Temple appeared out of nowhere, I might be inclined to believe they really did have something.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 01:30AM

If a Mormon temple appeared out of nowhere I'd be checking the ocean for Cthulhu.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 11:42PM

There is a curse on the excavating crew for desecrating an ancient Khmer Rouge burial ground.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 10:47AM

I knew some young women who converted to Mormonism after coming with the boat people. They only had a very vague idea of what mormonism was all about, and these young women were, very,very friendly with the male youth, it resulted in several excoms and young elders needing to wait a year before going on a mission. Makes me wonder why Churco needs to build a temple for 3000 active members.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 12:39AM

I like that it's situated on Russian Confederation Street.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 04:16AM

I wish they would use local material, the rocks of the area. The Ankor Wat buildings that LW referenced above is something that can last through centuries, it compliments the natural environment, and generations of people will appreciate it. Another building that was ruined (by too much white) was the St. George Temple, It would be so much more visually lovely if they would strip that white gunk off and leave it the natural sandstone.

Mormon leaders should read what Frank Loyd Write said about the quality of our lives, what he termed environmental architecture. Write created his own bricks, and tried to use what materials were available in each area. He built appreciating the grandeur of the landscape and Earth. Our creative processes, intelligence, and grace are certainly effected by the visual habitat we're surrounded by.

Date: November 20, 2019 01:38PM

I agree with what you say about Wright. His homes are exquisite, and the way he did his Arizona work, among others, would be a great approach for Kampuchea.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 10:25AM

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 02:45PM

Hedning wrote: "Makes me wonder why Churco needs to build a temple for 3000 active members."

Building temples creates "news" for the consumption of faithful tithe payers. Building temples creates the illusion that the church is flourishing. Without this fake positive news, the faithful might actually discover that there are real problems.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 05:45PM

To really fit in, they need to surround the building with apsaras.

https://www.123rf.com/photo_7471593_cambodia-angkor-apsara-on-the-wall-of-angkor-wat.html

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Celestial_female_(apsara)_with_scorpion_on_her_leg,_Khajuraho,_India,_1000s_AD,_buff_sandstone_-_Dallas_Museum_of_Art_-_DSC05039.jpg

If you get your endowment in Cambodia, it will be an apsara who will be waiting for you at the gates of the CK to check whether you have the correct signs and tokens and passwords.

That's just the way it works.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 06:43PM

The spires have a bit of a nod to the local architecture. Everything else is generic Mormon.

The church is competing with one of the most brilliant pieces of architecture in the world -- Angkor Wat. For a church that wants to be noticed, you would think that just *once*, church leaders would aim for the stars and hire a top-tier architect. Then students all over the world could sit in university architecture or art history classes and watch a Mormon temple flashed up on the screen.

The church keeps spending big bucks for mediocrity.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 07:24AM

Understand that the temples are there to entice the member to cave in to strict PRAY PAY OBEY. Therefore they are an emotioanl target with which the true believer can associate. It enforces the forceable interference with the true agency of the member.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 24, 2019 09:26PM

With what temples cost, the mormon church could fix a lot of cleft lips in Cambodia. But ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 09:50PM by kathleen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.