Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 01:05PM

This article brings up a question for me. What world do they inhabit?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/royals/what-the-royals-would-earn-in-the-real-world/ar-AAJzZ9N

Obviously, their labor value as "royals" instead of "workers" in "the real world" hasn't been highlighted in this article.

But I wonder what the write up would be like for the heads of The Mormon Church? Many many posters like to throw out how these guys could make so much more without their "mantles" of "authority."

Ballard comes to mind. He doesn't seem to have been a very successful businessman? Eyring? Dusseldorf, I mean Uchtdorf as an airline pilot?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 01:58PM

Unless you’re the owner of the company, (Malcom Forbes), you are retired long before 75 or so...the age most of the 15 are called. There are exceptions, but generally true.If they have pensions and annuities that accrued in their prior professions....they still collect them. After a while the money is irrelevant anyhow, they do it for the attention and acclaim. The downside is it’s hard to retire.....alive.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 02:02PM

They can work as hard as they want or slack off if they're not feeling up to it. Nobody is going to be cracking the whip and telling them to shape up or get out. If they're in really bad shape they can go on emeritus status (like LeGrand Richards did). Being an Apostle is actually an ideal gig for someone like Nelson (who was close to retirement age anyway (as a surgeon) when he was called to be an Apostle).

Also, the fact that there is so little transparency seems to strongly suggest that they may have something to hide with regard to the actual perks, benefits, expense accounts, subsidies, etc. that they receive IN ADDITION TO the "stipend" (which is the only thing they ever mention).

Date: November 12, 2019 02:04PM

Their calling and check collection made sure.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 04:02PM

Quentin Cook was pulling in a massive annual salary, probably in nine figures. Nelson earned what relatively esteemed cardiac surgeons make, which is enough to live extremely comfortably but not really enough to boast about. I have no idea about the others.

Posted by: Deb ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 12:40PM

The point is not what would they have earned otherwise but more like the opposite. Chances are the church racket is even more lucrative for some if not many of them. Ballard was a used car salesman. People who work in sales can pull in pretty decent coin, esp those who own car dealerships. His having been in sales totally fits. You have to be a good salesman to push LDS Inc., lead church missions etc. which is probably why he was originally selected.

Although it doesn't sound glamorous,in the GA biz, they have a lot more flexibility, a stipend/salary, less crazy hours, free holidays and travel, subsidies of numerous sorts including free education for their kids, grandkids, health benefits, etc. the opportunity to make extra cash from book sales without having to even really write one (and probably tons of other perks we may not be aware of) which is not too shabby.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 03:43AM

You may be right. I don't know how stressful Cook's position was. All I know was that he was barely into his final non-church position and took a rather sizable pay cut.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 24, 2019 11:51PM

I seriously doubt Q Cook ever made "in nine figures". Ivestopedia has a list of the top ten executive salaries, and only the top six on that list made "nine figures", and in all but one case the first of those nine digits was a 1. It was the Elon Musks and Tim Cooks who made that much.

As a health care system CEO, I'm sure Bro Cook did very well. But north of $100 million? I don't think so.

Besides, no matter how much money he has, he is still Quentin Cook. That is its own punishment.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 04:29PM

The article puts the British Royalty mostly at $29,000 which is a stretch for charity workers. I would put them down closer to $14,567.92 annual income. which is roughly minimum wage. But if they are in Wyoming then closer to $10,000.

Now on the other hand the mormon royalty, Stevenson was banking it in before he got called to the 70. I worked for him for a short time doing line work in his factory, the old amalgamated and del-monte plant up in Smithfield, and what an eye opening experience that was! Gangbangers, the thugs, no one was speaking English, a fight broke out right there on the line between rival gansta's, it was scary! I've never seen such scoundrels in management until I went there. And then his plant on the Logan River. That was horrible too. Don't work for an Apostle, that's my advice.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 24, 2019 11:41PM

Interesting that you think the minimum wage is lower in Wyoming than in the rest of the US. And that you think the Q15 would only be able to get minimum wage jobs. Before they were "Mormon Royalty", they all had pretty successful careers.

What do you think you would make if you had been born in, say, Uganda? How much of your success is pretty much an accident of birth location?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 04:42PM

I misread that: I thought it said "Would the Mormon Royals make it in the real world?"

Hmmmmm....

Date: October 31, 2019 04:57PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Would the
> Mormon Royals make it in the real world?"

I doubt it. They have to be in their tithing bubble to survive in this world. The POTUS at least tweets. They require much more handling. And my question was what would they be earning in "the real world" doing what they are qualified to do.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 01:19PM

I think most of them would be fine. Uchdorf was a airline executive. Nelson was a surgeon. Gong worked for the State Department. Most the Quorum of the twelve seem to be administrators. Nelson is the odd duck doctor. Ballard was a car dealer then an entrepreneur. Bednar, Oaks and Holland were all BYU presidents. CIS seems to be a popular pool to pull apostles out of. I assume Oaks would have been a lawyer and Holland and Bednar would be administrators of a university somewhere.

Date: November 12, 2019 01:29PM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think most of them would be fine.

I wasn't worried about them "when" their house of cards falls. I only wish it would.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 01:55PM

Ballard became the first Edsel dealership in SLC and got out of the business after sustaining huge losses.

He then went deep into debt to start up a corporation to acquire and operate the Valley Music Hall in Bountiful. It failed and Ballard had investors to repay. Miraculously, after the Valley Music Hall burned down, the Church purchased it from Ballard at...get this...a price that made it possible for him to pay off his debt. Immediately thereafter Ballard was called to be a General Authority.

Posted by: Deb's son ( )
Date: November 24, 2019 08:17PM

As an MP, he always did seem well, like a used car salesman. Which is most likely why he was invited to be a MP in the first place.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.