Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 11:29AM

"The Hallmark Channel is reversing its decision to pull advertisements featuring same-sex couples and apologizing for removing them in the first place, a network spokeswoman told CNN Business.

The decision comes after Hallmark parent company Crown Media Family Networks faced calls for viewers and advertisers to boycott its television channel. The ads, from online wedding planning company Zola, showed same-sex couples celebrating marriages."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/15/business/hallmark-same-sex-advertisement-backlash/index.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 11:55AM

It's almost like we never learned anything about civil rights when people didn't want to see bi-racial marriages.

I guess love and marriage aren't really what is important to the people who objected. It's more about denying rights to others.

I'm so sorry gay people have to put up with this crap over and over.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 12:03PM

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 12:32PM

I don't really care either way; I just wonder whether people who actually monitor who is or isn't represented in commercials have better things to do with their time.

I've seen countless commercials that have offended me for one reason or another. It's never led me to demand that they be pulled or to insist that the advertisers or networks provide commercials that are more palatable to my tastes.

I factor it into whether I want to buy that product or watch that programming, and let overall sales and continued viewership sort itself out.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 12:47PM

It's the "invisible hand of the free market" argument once again.
There is no such thing as the "free market".

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 12:50PM

It becomes a matter of crusading. All some people need is some kind of "cause" and B A N G off they go on a crusade. It is't the cause that is fun, It's the crusade!!

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 03:04PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is't the cause that is fun,It's the crusade!!
===============================

Bingo.
That dopamine-fueled Righteous Indignation is soooo addictive!

"Just give me something -- something I can use"

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 12:59PM

I would like to think people are just shallow, rather than hate-filled. It's about personal taste. If I like the show, I'll pre-record it, and put up with fast-forwarding through the commercials. Often, if a show does not allow the ff function, I will not watch the show at all. It's my choice to make.

Some commercials bug me so much, that I dive across the room, to reach the remote control immediately. It can be way too loud, voices that are DELIBERATELY abrasive, music that is grating on my nerves, something so visually disgusting that I have to turn away, subjects that depress me--and I have an individual right to keep that stuff out of my home and out of my mind--by turning it off. My tastes are strictly shallow--I don't like ugly stuff--it's that simple. I'm sure most people of all races and ages and sexual preferences do not like to hear someone talking loudly at fast-forward, spewing, "May cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, a deadly brain virus, and death which in most cases is mild...." The pharms don't seem to care if they are popular or not. I would rather see a lovely wedding than watch someone spitting blood into a sink. What are they thinking? No, it did not get my attention--can't remember the product the ad was for--I won't watch it again.

I agree with GregS. It will sort itself out.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 03:23PM

What douche bags. It isn't like they were forced to show gay romances.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.