Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 24, 2019 11:30AM

Court finds Mormon church blocked southern Alberta police investigation into sex abuse of young girls in 1980s:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/sex-assault-abuse-mormon-church-lethbridge-judge-alberta-1.5407316

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 24, 2019 12:38PM

Hopefully they will throw the book at him.

I have a question about the timing of the events. It says that the sexual abuse began in 1986, when the perpetrator would have been about 28 years old. According to the article, he was on a mission in 1987 at approximately age 29. Is 28 the upper age limit to go on a conventional mission? Might the church have sent him on a mission in a misguided attempt to straighten him out?

The victims (at least three, I presume) ranged in age from 8 to 13, making him a pedophile at a minimum. Apparently he also offended in a similar manner as a minor (with three child victims,) for which he already served time.

And yet this stellar individual "had no doubt in his mind that he was worthy to be a bishop," because "his view [was] that the matter was closed for discussion; that he had paid the price already." Lovely.

One wonders if this will clear the way for lawsuits against the Mormon church.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 25, 2019 01:31PM

> One wonders if this will clear the way for
> lawsuits against the Mormon church.

Summer, I hope very much that is the case.

My ex-wife, while confessing masturbation to a Bishop in Cardston, as a child, was asked at length about every detail, what did she fantasize, how many fingers, how deep, etc. Unbelievably egregious. Let’s hope what you wonder comes to pass...

Merry Christmas!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 25, 2019 01:36PM

How many other victims are there? More than likely victims all through his life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.