Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 03:56PM

Rather, it was an adjustment for making ChurchCo appear a bit more palatable; even then the GAs could have sensed that Mormondumb would have to broaden its appeal / borders beyond the Western Hemisphere / North America.

P.S.: They never published any claimed 'Revelation' on it, did they?

? Has there ever been real, substantive change in ChurchCo?

what was it, when was it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 04:01PM

Well, there was the time that ghawd revealed to the 12 apostles that they should vote themselves exempt from having to pay tithing!

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 04:22PM

IF it was a real change, they would have repudiated the extremely racist white supremacist official statements by so-called "Prophets" on the subject in the past, starting with Joseph Smith and ending with all the racists who've led this abusive CULT up until 1978.
If it was real change they would have redacted half of the Book of Mormon and most of the Pearl of Great Price.
But since Mormonism is built upon a foundation of racism, it's kind of tough to take out the foundation without having the whole house of cards come tumbling down.
And since they were trying to save up $100 Billion for Jesus's big Welcome Home party, they had their lawyers and PR firm draft up a "Official Declaration" that didn't implicate any past or current leaders or delegitimize the abusive CULT so they could keep on exploiting their gullible sheep, who'll buy ANYthing out of fear of missing out on a fake bill of goods.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 04:38PM

The whole "Blacks and the priesthood revelation" came about due to pressure from society and maybe the government. In 1969, Black players for Wyoming's football team refused to play against BYU. They were suspended by Wyoming, which pissed a lot of people off. In the 1970's teams like Stanford, San Jose State and a few others refused to schedule BYU because of racial issues. But there were/are persistent rumors that Jimmy Carter told church leaders that their tax-exempt status was in jeopardy over their racist policies. Then, Hallelujah!- it's a miracle! God told the profit to allow blacks to have the priesthood. The church never does the right things- unless they are forced to do so.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 06:53PM

Yes, there have been persistent rumors that LDS Inc's tax exemption was in danger and Jimmy Carter called SWK and yada yada.

Those rumors are wrong. LDS inc tax exempt status was never in danger. If it had been, it would have been the biggest religious freedom news story of the 20th century. And you will note that LDS Inc still discriminates against women in their priesthood. Is that endangering their tax exemption?

Besides, the president picking up the phone to tell SWK the LDS tax exemption will be cancelled is in no way shape or form how the IRS operates. If they even thought of such an action, there would be an avalanche of paperwork involved. We would have known about it.

Lastly, Jimmy Carter is still alive. Some reporter can just ask him if he ever called SWK to tell him the gummint was going to cancel LDS Inc's tax exemption. I'm sure he would find that thought amusing.

Date: December 29, 2019 08:17PM

From the Chicago Tribune.;
"https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1988-06-02-8801040230-story.html

Fact is, Mormon leaders met with Carter, at the White house in 1977; "On March 11, 1977 at 12:03 pm President Carter met with Spencer W. Kimball, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Representative Gunn McKay (D-Utah), and Representative Jim Santini (D-Nevada) for approximately 20 minutes in the White House.[1] This meeting, noted in President Carter's White House diary, is popularly rumored among ex-Mormons to be the meeting in which Carter threatened the Church with a rescinding of the Church's tax-exempt status over the issue of the priesthood ban"

That's from Fairmormon.org

Carter then met leaders at the Tabernacle after the ban was lifted. Mormon leaders are nothing if not schemers and grifters. You can't tell me that there was no quid pro quo going on. 3 publicized contacts with Carter in 16 months. Coincidence? I don't believe it.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 08:04PM

Actually, the Wyoming players did not refuse to play against BYU - they were kicked off the team for wanting to wear black armbands to protest TSCC's policy.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27606864/wyoming-marks-1969-ouster-black-players

"On Oct. 17, 1969, Wyoming coach Lloyd Eaton summarily dismissed the players and revoked their scholarships after they met with him to propose wearing black armbands during an upcoming game against Brigham Young University.

The players wanted to protest racism some of them had experienced in previous games against BYU and how the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at the time barred African Americans from the priesthood. Eaton would have none of the idea -- and was backed by the university's board of trustees and Gov. Stan Hathaway.

They never got a chance to mention the armbands before Eaton lit into them about coming from fatherless families and saying they would be accepted only by traditionally black colleges if they weren't at the University of Wyoming, they said.

"Our side is coming out. All these years, everybody thought we protested and stuff, and we never did," said Ted Williams, another player who was dismissed in 1969."

Date: December 29, 2019 08:25PM

This is from AFTER last year's 50th anniversary and Wyoming's official account. The coach was a liar.
:During the season in mid-October, head coach Eaton dismissed 14 black players from the team for asking to wear black armbands during the upcoming home game against the Brigham Young University (BYU) Cougars. At the previous year's win over BYU at Provo, Cougar players had subjected them to racial epithets.[1] A week before the game, the team's black members were reminded of the incident and also informed about the racial policies of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (which owns and operates BYU, and which at that time excluded black people from the priesthood of the LDS Church) by Willie Black, leader of Wyoming's Black Student Alliance, and challenged them to do something about it.[1]

The day before the game, the players donned black armbands on their civilian clothes and went to Eaton's office to discuss how they might show solidarity with the BSA protest.[2] Upon seeing them with the armbands the coach immediately dismissed them from the team.[1][3] According to Joe Williams, a team co-captain before he was suspended from the team, "We wanted to see if we could wear black armbands in the game, or black socks, or black X's on our helmets. And if he had said no we had already agreed that we would be willing to protest with nothing but our black skins."[3]

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 05:37PM

I think that the so-called revelation to give blacks the priesthood is in either the D&C or in the Pearl of Great Price which are scriptures. Now the church is over in Africa, begging for money from the ultra-poor. They couldn't have done that by persisting with racist policies against the black race. I think they realized that an all-white church couldn't expand world wide until after they ditched the racism, at least officially.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 05:58PM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think that the so-called revelation to give blacks the priesthood is in either the D&C or in the Pearl of Great Price which are scriptures.

No, it was never published by the church. However it was found and published separately by others. For the exact wording, see:

http://packham.n4m.org/blacks.htm

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 06:18PM

'GOD IS NO RESPECTER OF PERSONS'

- O, I guess females aren't persons.

and

the Mormon God lets people suffer to see if others can Pass his tests... NO THANKS!!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 05:56PM

Will LD$ Inc. allow Negroes to drive Cadillacs now ?

http://nowscape.com/mormon/negro.htm

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 07:25PM

One of the reasons for the change was that they were baptizing lots of Mexicans. The old policy was that the elders were to look at the potential convert and try to decide if they had negroid attributes. They also asked them if they were aware of negroid ancestors. If the answer was no, (which it always was) they would baptize them. Now since the DNA tests have become widely used we now know that lots of Mexicans intermingled with Africans. So really it's a whole new race than it was pre 1500.

But those are secrets that we didn't know before DNA tests showed it to the world. Yay for science!

As for mormondom changing, yes it's changed there is more diversity in any ward, and there are probably some black people running around.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 07:51PM

> One of the reasons for the
> change was that they were
> baptizing lots of Mexicans.
> The old policy was that the
> elders were to look at the
> potential convert and try to
> decide if they had negroid
> attributes. They also asked
> them if they were aware of
> negroid ancestors. If the
> answer was no, (which it
> always was) they would
> baptize them. Now since the
> DNA tests have become widely
> used we now know that lots
> of Mexicans intermingled
> with Africans. So really
> it's a whole new race than
> it was pre 1500.
>

Oh, yeah! While spending my 23.5 months in Mexico we were constantly on the alert for any sign that a potential convert names Ruiz or Gomez or Garcia, etc., had any indicators that pointed to him being of the seed of Cain.

We all were issued little measuring devices that we used to measure the nostril width. Any nostril wider than 15mm and we had to get Mission Home approval, which meant that if the candidate was breathing, it was a go!

Also if the hair was a mite too curly, we had to get approval, but it the more numbers-oriented Elders just had them shave their heads, or for the women, wear a bathing cap.

Now then, while we in Mexico had it somewhat difficult with them there Mexicans and their devilish desire to be Black, t'weren't nothing like the problems the missionaries were having in that there Brasil, as we spelled it in Mexico. That'd be Brazil for you white Folk.

They had it rough!

Edited to preserve the evidence...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2019 07:55PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 07:37PM

priesthood, but I never did. I think it is a "blessing" that I didn't have to have the priesthood. I am an introvert. I watched my introvert brothers have to pass the sacrament, bless it, home teach, etc., etc., etc., and I was SO HAPPY I didn't have to. My dad never gave it much thought. He acted like it was a burden.

Now that I'm out and know I never did have to kowtow to those damn leaders, I'm even happier than I never had to deal with it. I saw it as more work. I never thought that men had a a closer communication with God when I thought I knew there was one. Once my home teachers came and said something about me not having the priesthood in my home any longer (it was a couple, man and woman) and I was like, "Huh?" My kids and I had a pretty damn peaceful house compared to the one I grew up in and the one we had when their dad was deciding to leave.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 10:15PM

It was probably more closely tied to the legal battles Bob Jones University was going through. They were threatened with and eventually lost their tax exempt status while the government was trying to eradicate discrimination in education. They finally allowed Blacks to attend the university, as BYU did, but had bans on interracial dating and Blacks in student government. BYU was fighting to say Blacks had all the same privileges as other students, but it was refuted since technically they didn’t and students were letting that be made known.

So BJU lost the ability for students to receive federal student aid. A loss of millions to the University. BYU was next. They would have folded without government student aid. But a sign that the Lard was looking out for His church is that He stepped in just in the nick of time and saved His people and His university from collapse. I’m sure the Lord also took into consideration all the other things mentioned in this thread—-the football program, the conversions in Brazil, etc. Modern Day Revelation saved the day.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.